Sign in to follow this  
Captain Fantastic

Maynard for sale in Jan.

[quote user="Captain Fantastic"]Someone you think we should be looking at? Personally always thought he was overrated but does seem to have goalscorers instinct. Thoughts?[/quote]

No go imo...I think the team needs to be strengthend elsewere. Midfielder and defender...must be priorities imho... We''re scoring goals! Just can''t keep a clean sheet

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]No go imo...I think the team needs to be strengthend elsewere. Midfielder and defender...must be priorities imho... We''re scoring goals! Just can''t keep a clean sheet[/quote]

[Y]

I don''t think we should be looking for strikers at the moment. Holt and Morison are certainly holding their ground!

People looking at the lack of clean sheets and saying we need defenders is only true to a certain extent. The defence needs a certain amount of protection from the midfield and in most games we are getting over-run in midfield.

We currently have 5 centre backs on the books and we can''t sign another before we are able to get rid of one.

We need a midfield enforcer as most people have suggested. This costs money however and I would expect this player to come from abroad to lessen the cost.

Whats with the Maynard obsession?

I personally didn''t really know who he was until the ''rumours'' started probably last summer, and seem to have stuck in some peoples head, who think he''s a wonderful player and we should sign him. Yeah he''s got a pretty good goal scoring record, but he''s not that special, thats why he''s at Bristol.

And if were going to sign a midfield enforcer, which midfielder is leaving? I''m sure Fox, Johnson, Crofts or Hoolahan won''t be happy being out of the team for the majority of the rest of the season, after doing little wrong.

Surely the reason, the midfield isn''t covering the defence as well as it could/should be, is because of how attacking we play? Its not the players that are the problem, its the system, its the big negative of playing the way we do.

Personally I don''t know where all the attachment has come in for Maynard, sure he could do a job. There is interest from elsewhere and there have been rumours I think on here regarding his house is up for sale.

I think a striker is an option for us, but I also think we will get some one as a striker that we do not expect.

I don''t think any of the midfielders would be leaving that you mention, in fact Hoolahan is not in the central midfield role. Fox, Johnson and Crofts are fighting over two positions. There is room for that one more, that we need and all will still be involved. Yes if Snodgrass was here then Hoolahan would have more competition with Pilky and Benno on the flanks, but I also think that is good for this team this season. The one thing all these players know is that the team ethos that Lambert demands and puts through the group is benefitting them indivdually and hence making them better. I do agree that the system is making us a little more open but I do think with improvements of players and organization that the systems can work better and I do believe that he would rather play a traditional 4-4-2 at times but may not feel that has worked so far.

Again Janaury is just an exciting time.

I think it''s been well documented on here that it''s the system to why we concede so many goals and I agree. When we played Stoke I thought we were pretty good defensively and so nearly held out for the win (with a clean sheet). In that game we played Johnson and Crofts in midfield with Pilks and Bennett on the wings. But if I rightly remember we lacked creativity that day and really did need Hoolahan on the pitch. I would really like to see a defensive midfielder in Jan or an attacking midfielder who can also defend a bit. But that would cost quite a bit so we''ll continue to be stuck with this dilemma. Play more openly and score goals but risk it defensively or play a more solid formation and create less chances? I''d personally rather the first. And that''s the way it will be until we splash out millions on players (which we can''t afford to do).

[quote user="Ben "] I would really like to see a defensive midfielder in Jan or an attacking midfielder who can also defend a bit. [/quote]

Does Keith Andrews fit into this criteria?

according to the guardian the foxes had a 6m bid turned down in june. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/22/bristol-city-nicky-maynard-sale?newsfeed=true

His goal scoring record is good, but its not amazing only scored 20+ in one season back 2 years ago.

He is going to be expensive, and probably not much of an improvement on Holt and Morrison, if at all. Not worth it IMO. He has potential but we have the "twin towers" banging them in, with a leaky defence.

An assured CB for 3-4m would benefit us a lot more, and would probably consolidate our prem status, with a comfortable finish.

3-4 mil yes over that no as we lack serious pace and that maybe will nick us a few goals on the counter. I don''t think any defender we buy is going to keep out 10 million £ strikers every week so I am of the view making the opposition defend deeper (and an outlet)

with a pace threat might be a better form of defense.

This may be a bit leftfield but hows about this for a centre back choice?

The team he plays for have 3 centre backs ahead of him and are apparently looking to buy another in Jan. we''d have to break the bank as he''s an ex-England international, but we broke the bank (at the time) for Hucks & Ashton, and look how they upped the team quality at the time. = Michael Dawson at Spurs? He''s got so many qualities that our current defenders don''t possess and I personally think would sit perfectly next to Whitbread and has that missing Prem experience.

Tom Huddlestone would be my No.1 choice to bolster the defensive midfielder position - big, strong, still only 24 and his best days are ahead of him. Michael Dawson''s a really good shout too.

Perhaps we should get Delia''s cooking sherry on standby ready to ply Harry Boy on Tuesday? Just stand it in the corner of the away changing room on top of a brown paper envelope & call it a damn thick coaster!...

I think that Lambert is shrewd enough to see where our problems are and address the areas we need to strengthen during January, if we dont get quoted silly prices that is. I would like to see the spine of our team reinforced for the 2nd half of the season, we are in a great position where with the correct squad strengthening we could quite well maintain our love affair with the middle reaches of the Prem table.

Ideally Lambert and the board could move 2 or 3 players off our Premier squad list and loan them out for the rest of the season, like Wilbraham, Lappin etc who are all decent guys but not up to the standard of football we are now at.

Otbc :)

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Whats with the Maynard obsession?

I personally didn''t really know who he was until the ''rumours'' started probably last summer, and seem to have stuck in some peoples head, who think he''s a wonderful player and we should sign him. Yeah he''s got a pretty good goal scoring record, but he''s not that special, thats why he''s at Bristol. .[/quote]Bristol City are a wealthier club and Maynard is thought to already be on Premiership wages. Norwich were reported to be intrested in him during the summer when Bristol City turned down £5m from Leicester. I guess Vaughan was a cheaper option.

[quote user="spencer 1970"] Michael Dawson at Spurs? [/quote]

You''ve got the wrong centre back at Spurs.........more like Bomsong (or however you spell his name) is the centre back they will sell if they can get another quailty centre back in. They tried to get Cahill in during the last window and it seems that Bomsong was lined up for a move to QPR but as Cahill didnt sign in then Bomsong didnt move on either.    

This thread is about Maynard and as far as he is concerned he offers nothing that is not already on our books and is totally unproven at this level.We have only failed to score in 2 league games and one of those was at Old Trafford so why the obsession in signing yet another striker? As for Huddlestone or Dawson both are way out of our depth for both transfer fees and wages.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]This thread is about Maynard and as far as he is concerned he offers nothing that is not already on our books and is totally unproven at this level.[/quote]A few months ago, it could have been said that all of our players were unproven in the Premiership. Vaughan has fitness issues and Maynard would seem an ideal replacement.It would make sense to have Holt & Morrison, and Maynard & Jackson.