Sign in to follow this  
Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?

How the upper tier of the Jarrold Stand may be built one day.......

I would imagine the ST holders would get first dibs on the seats that would have been available to non ST holders.

This needs very careful planning ahead to avoid at best a PR disaster and at worst alienating a large number of fans.

IMO the Hotel deal was badly done, they should/could have built the corner infill incorporated into a Hotel.

When the City Stand is redeveloped which seems 99% certain will be the stand to increase capacity surely the bottom tier can be done during a close season and the upper tier work carried out as the following season progresses similar to what we saw being carried out at Wolves the other night.I appreciate there will be a great deal of inconvenience to many ST holders with in all probability limited facilities but at least it will get 4,000 bums back on seats until the job is complete.That way capacity will not be lost or maybe just by a small number.

Have you still got your pac-a-mac Tilly? Or do you envisage the club proving tose oversized bin liners for when it rains.[st]

Maybe your old seat in the dugout will be covered[:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Have you still got your pac-a-mac Tilly? Or do you envisage the club proving those[:$] oversized bin liners for when it rains.[st]

[/quote]

Have you still got your pac-a-mac Tilly? Or do you envisage the club proving tose oversized bin liners for when it rains.[st]

[/quote]

I read it the first time.The second time it is not so funny[:#]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I read it the first time.The second time it is not so funny[:#]

[/quote]

It''s not meant to be funny. The older people in the City Stand could well be prone to chills or worse through sitting out in the elements. I''m concerned for you...

wings of a Sparrow"]I would imagine the ST holders would get first dibs on the seats that would have been available to non ST holders.

This needs very careful planning ahead to avoid at best a PR disaster and at worst alienating a large number of fans.

This is why I think it would be better to put a 2nd tier onthe Jarold stand before doing anything else cause then their''d be no reduction in capacity while the redevelopments were occurring!

"Harry"]IMO the Hotel deal was badly done, they should/could have built the corner infill incorporated into a Hotel.

Unfortunately after relegation in 2005 and already undertaking an expensive loan term loan deal to pay for the construction of the Jarold stand  spending a lot of money on such a structure would have put the club in a precarious financial position. I''m sure even the current board would have done exactly the same thing!

But yes if the finances had been in place then an infill with a Hotel built onto the back of it would have been the best option!

Anyway like I''ve said before I think continuing the Jarold stand seating design round in front of the Hotel is a possibility.

"TIL 1010"]When the City Stand is redeveloped which seems 99% certain will be the stand to increase capacity surely the bottom tier can be done during a close season and the upper tier work carried out as the following season progresses similar to what we saw being carried out at Wolves the other night.I appreciate there will be a great deal of inconvenience to many ST holders with in all probability limited facilities but at least it will get 4,000 bums back on seats until the job is complete.That way capacity will not be lost or maybe just by a small number.

From what I can make out, the board think it''d be best to just build a complete brand new City stand rather than add a 2nd tier to the current structure. I believe this new structure would more than likely be a massive one tiered stand!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

"TIL 1010"]When the City Stand is redeveloped which seems 99% certain will be the stand to increase capacity surely the bottom tier can be done during a close season and the upper tier work carried out as the following season progresses similar to what we saw being carried out at Wolves the other night.I appreciate there will be a great deal of inconvenience to many ST holders with in all probability limited facilities but at least it will get 4,000 bums back on seats until the job is complete.That way capacity will not be lost or maybe just by a small number.

From what I can make out, the board think it''d be best to just build a complete brand new City stand rather than add a 2nd tier to the current structure. I believe this new structure would more than likely be a massive one tiered stand!

[/quote]

That would mean the Club would have to purchase the complete Carrow Road behind the City Stand but if they build two tiers and are permitted to use the land between Carrow Road and the new road(forgotten its name) to support such a structure the road under the stand could still be used in such a way as they have done with the main stand at Villa Park where vehicle traffic still passes.

I''m pretty sure the club now own the part of Carrow Road adjoining the ground (as part of the redevelopement of the retail park) and I assume this would include the strip of land up to the new road.

Should be plenty of room to build a mirror image Jarrold stand I would have thought. I remember the idea was that coaches etc could drive under the stand to deliver players to the players entrance as at Newcastle and eleswhere.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]I''m pretty sure the club now own the part of Carrow Road adjoining the ground (as part of the redevelopement of the retail park) and I assume this would include the strip of land up to the new road..[/quote]

My view is you are wrong and the reason being the traffic regulations governing that road i.e.double yellow lines and parking bay signs are Norwich City Council signs.Traffic wardens or whatever they are now called "Police" that road for breaches of restrictions.If the Club were responsible they would be charging you to park on their property as it would be clogged up every day with office workers from the City.Mr McNally would not miss a trick there as we well know.

I''m sure any issues with Carrow Road have already been considered by the club. Doncaster said years ago that it is intended to retain the road with vehicles able to drive through a tunnel under the stand which is what happens at other clubs. Ths would surely be the case with either a 2nd tier on top of the existing structure or a complete new build!

Any new development won''t be straightforward especially the City stand with the road being directly behind it. A complete new build of the city stand would see the capacity of Carrow Road drop by about 4100-4200 which would be a capcity of 22,500 which in present would be well under what can sell. This is why I think putting a 2nd tier on the Jarold stand 1st would be better cause this could be done without any loss of capacity.

The building of a new stand has always heralded bad times for the club. Usually a relegation and fan''s favourites being sold. Why should this time be different?

The building of a new stand has always heralded bad times for the club. Usually a relegation and fan''s favourites being sold. Why should this time be different?

[/quote]

I just knew that wooden spoon i gave you last year would come in handy one day[:P]

The idea that we will put a 2nd tier on the Jarrold as a means of convinence needs to be forgotten. It is possible and may happen one day, but this would be a huge project, the biggest Carrow road would have ever seen and would in all likelyhood match or go well beyond the price of a new city stand. The club have spoken alot recently about the city stand and no doubt have a plan in their minds of what they would do, in all likelyhood work on a new stand would start in the summer with only a portion of the season demanding a plan for the season ticket holders. I think it likely that for that season match day tickets would be made almost non-existant and season ticket holders would be re-distributed around the remaining 3 sides of the ground and no doubt a couple of tempory rows in front of the construction and even the hotel.

Maybe but a complete new City stand would mean having a capacity of only 22,500+ any temporary seating in front of the development and hotel. A Jarold 2nd tier would no doubt be expensive but would it be more expensive than a complete new City stand+ the loss of income from having 4200 shaved of the capacity while it was being built?

Doing the Jarold stand 1st would see the present capacity maintained. This would be expensive but after it was done we''d have a ground holding 31-33,000 which would be sustainable for a number of years until we could afford to further increase capacity if it was needed.

Whos to say that a permanant extension of the Jarold stand going round in front of the Hotel isn''t possible and being considered?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I just knew that wooden spoon i gave you last year would come in handy one day[:P]

[/quote]

Wooden spoon or not I believe this has always been the case. Of course the past is no indication of the future but it makes me uneasy. As does this sudden interest in these assets from those who were so against them last time.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wooden spoon or not I believe this has always been the case. Of course the past is no indication of the future but it makes me uneasy. As does this sudden interest in these assets from those who were so against them last time.

[/quote]That''s not quite true though is it Nutty, the construction and completion of the Jarrold Stand last time coincided with promotion to the Premier League under your favourite [;)] and the signing of a certain Mr. D. Huckerby.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s not quite true though is it Nutty, the construction and completion of the Jarrold Stand last time coincided with promotion to the Premier League under your favourite [;)] and the signing of a certain Mr. D. Huckerby.
[/quote]

It did but relegation still followed as did the selling of players.

Anyway.. Lambert''s my favourite now[:)]. However I still have huge respect for mWorthy. And no respect at all for those who gave him such a hard time.[:O]

The City stand was completed in the summer of 1986 after we walzed away with the Division 2 title and were about to embark on a top flight campaign when we finished 5th. This was the start of the 1986-93 period which I think was our best ever era!

The Barclay stand was completed near the end of 1992 during a season when the club had their highest ever finish - 3rd in the Premier League and the next season had a good UEFA cup campaign!

The Jarold stand was completed just before we won the Championship by 8 clear points in 1994!

Although the River End stand when completed in 1980 was followed the next season by relegation although we did get promoted at the 1st attempt afterwards!

So the facts indicate that a new build at Carrow Road doesn''t herald poor times for the club!

The City stand was completed in the summer of 1986 after we walzed away with the Division 2 title and were about to embark on a top flight campaign when we finished 5th. This was the start of the 1986-93 period which I think was our best ever era!

The Barclay stand was completed near the end of 1992 during a season when the club had their highest ever finish - 3rd in the Premier League and the next season had a good UEFA cup campaign!

The Jarold stand was completed just before we won the Championship by 8 clear points in 1994!

Although the River End stand when completed in 1980 was followed the next season by relegation although we did get promoted at the 1st attempt afterwards!

So the facts indicate that a new build at Carrow Road doesn''t herald poor times for the club!

[/quote]

You argue a good case Ms Disaster but it''s not the building of the stands that have historically been the problem. It''s the paying for them[:''(]

Apart from the Barclay stand which was mostly paid for with football League grants the paying for the wonderful facilities at Carrow Road has been a problem like it has been for other clubs building better facilities!

That said, in 1979 it was better in the long term to build a brand new river end!

In 1992 it was the same for the Barclay end!

In 2004 it was the same again with the Jarold stand!

In 1985/86 we couldn''t just leave the City stand as a burnt wreck forever and anyway I suppose the insurance paid for most of the new City stand!

Agreed Ms Ds..

We had no choice with replacing the four stands and Carrow Road is all the better for it. But this time all the stands are perfectly servicable and any decision to build another really is putting the stadium above the team. Without doubt we would end up selling a player or two to pay for it and we might not get so lucky as we did a couple of times in the past.

Which is why any major expansion works at Carrow Road will only take place after 3 consecutive seasons of Premiership football and continued sell out/near sell out crowds!

To not increase capacity after the above critierias have been achieved will be akin to a lack of ambition cause after they''ve been built the extra capacity will help to push the team onto better things!

Which is why any major expansion works at Carrow Road will only take place after 3 consecutive seasons of Premiership football and continued sell out/near sell out crowds!

To not increase capacity after the above critierias have been achieved will be akin to a lack of ambition cause after they''ve been built the extra capacity will help to push the team onto better things!

[/quote]

Replacing the non-servicable South Stand was seen as lack of ambition in the football team by many on here. Sell out crowds ensure maximum return. Should we really be hankering for empty seats?

Anyway, if it isn''t going to happen for at least three seasons it''s not worth worrying about now. Norwich fans should know better than most how much can change in three seasons[;)]

"""If McNally had been around back then I can say with a fair degree of certainty that he wouldn''t have recommended building that infill. He might have suggested leaving the area vacant. Equally he might have gone for a hotel"""

Or perhaps if he was really clever, he might have suggested an hotel on the outer side and seats on the inner side. - Why have one when you can have both? If the money wasn''t available at the time, at least the option for seats should have been written in