Sign in to follow this  
zak123

Our defense if actually playing well.

Even though it may not seem it out defense and the defenders are actually playing pretty well at the moment. We were never actually beaten on normal attacking plays, these were defended valiantly and we actually kept Adebayor pretty quiet.

Our slight problem comes either when we make mistakes on the ball (Bale close chance when we passed it around the back for too long etc) or when we haven''t had our midfielders fully tracking back (eg evertons goal) leaving the back 4 exposed which we can''t do in the premier league...

Given that we still have Ayala and Ward we really don''t need a new CB in January. We just need to stick with 2 players, and I would be happy with Martin and Whitbread, lets not forget this is only their 4th game together, they have not been playing with each other all season!

Also everyones rants about De Leat are completely false (eg "out of his depth") he actually played a fantastic game yesterday!

I think that''s one of those scenarios where you''re damned if you do and damned if you don''t. By trying to pressure Adebayor you can prevent the pass being effective but leave Bale open, or you back off and Adebayor has all the time in the world.

agreed, he did leave his man to go towards adebayor who was already marked, but overall he does seem ok alongside martin in the centre of defense. but once again lack of composure cost us. morrison had the ball on the edge of spurs area, couldn''t make his mind up, robbed and five seconds later bale is putting it in the net. this kind of thing is happening too often this season, i had hoped the lads would have adjusted to the requirements of this league by now. faster of thought and action is a must.

To blame the 2nd goal on the strikers is ludicrous!   The ball still has to travel 70+ yards and a team should be ready for that challenge;  the back line were out of shape. Yes the pace,  movement & finishing of Bale was superb and the vision and pass execution from Modric was sublime but both saw a gap in our defence to exploit. 

I cannot fault any of our players effort - I think all of our defenders are giving everything they have for the team and for that I salute them,   they are bravely in the John Terry school of defending and sterling efforts come from them all, to a man - including the derided De Laet.  

However there is a difference between committment and capability.   the back 4 is a team, a unit,  not 4 hard working individuals.   Decision making, positioning and reading of the game is poor, meaning players are on the back foot,  out of position or bypassed, that is happening far too often.- it is the players committment that means we get great last ditch block tackles or clearances off the line (step forward Martin :-)!! )  however;  you have to question why they are so out of position to start with!!  I do think the current squad could get there, ie being a cohesive defending unit  - as its all in mutual understanding for me,  but someone has to make it happen.

We have not had a settled back 4 and we lack a co-ordinator - someone to hold the shape and lead the back line.  That is our biggest challenge - improvements in that ARE needed.    Improve that and we will still not bet the likes of spurs - but we will get more points from the West Broms to Boltons of this league - and that is what is important.

But to say they are playing well after 33 goals conceeded in 18 game and no prospect of being able to keep a clean sheet defies my definition

[quote user="Who Let The Fox Out"]I think that''s one of those scenarios where you''re damned if you do and damned if you don''t. By trying to pressure Adebayor you can prevent the pass being effective but leave Bale open, or you back off and Adebayor has all the time in the world.[/quote]

There were already two players covering Adebayor but Whitbread left no-one covering Bale which was a big error, allowing Adebayor to be able to pass with Bale unopposed, leading to the goal.

Precisely Paul - Adeb was well covered - if causing us problems with some wonderfull footwork;  Whitbreads decision to leave Bale and provide un-needed cover was a kick and rush error from a 7 yo and it is those decisions that are costing us so dear 

And  that poor decision making completely negates the rest of the sterling effort - once we were a goal behind it was game over.   And dont get me wrong - I am not targeting ZW here - every one of the regular back 4 have done the same this season.