Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

Very poor

I know our season is not judged by games like tonight and that we were up against a good side, in fact such games as the next 2 (Fulham and QPR) are far more important but I thought we were really poor tonight.   We started with 2 up front but constantly have 11 men behind the ball, which meant we never had an outlet and therefore were under constant pressure.  Our defending was poor and De Laet not for the first time looks totally out of his depth at this level I am worried by Zaks errors while in possession we really need 1 or 2 central defenders in January.   I never really expected to win this game but I did expect us to play better, in our next two games I hope we play with more courage and attack and look to win the games and not sit 11 men behind the ball and hope we can nick a goal on the break.  All in all a poor evening and a poor performance which hope will improve and that we will bounce back but this time of year is not normally our best.

Lets hope for a response, some attacking flair and more importantly 3 points

OTBC

You really need a reality check. We were playing against one of the top three clubs in the country and you expected us to attck them in numbers? That would only have created bigger numbers in the goals against column.

Some people must realise that we have made great strides in recent seasons but we are still a long way off a top six finishing team. Unless you have either got a back pocket with a spare £1B in it or a little patience we will not ge there.

I''ve the patience and the reality to realise that it will be the only way we can improve and possibly get there.

I would, however, agree with you about De Laet and hope his transfer is not made permanent. 

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

You really need a reality check. We were playing against one of the top three clubs in the country and you expected us to attck them in numbers? That would only have created bigger numbers in the goals against column.

Some people must realise that we have made great strides in recent seasons but we are still a long way off a top six finishing team. Unless you have either got a back pocket with a spare £1B in it or a little patience we will not ge there.

I''ve the patience and the reality to realise that it will be the only way we can improve and possibly get there.

I would, however, agree with you about De Laet and hope his transfer is not made permanent. 

[/quote]

Then play 1 up front, fill the midfield and try to score on the counter.....as I sayI did not expect to win but thought compared to other performances tis one was poor...agree we have come along way and know we are improving...perhaps it was just a bad day at the office  

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

I know our season is not judged by games like tonight and that we were up against a good side, in fact such games as the next 2 (Fulham and QPR) are far more important but I thought we were really poor tonight.   We started with 2 up front but constantly have 11 men behind the ball, which meant we never had an outlet and therefore were under constant pressure.  Our defending was poor and De Laet not for the first time looks totally out of his depth at this level I am worried by Zaks errors while in possession we really need 1 or 2 central defenders in January.   I never really expected to win this game but I did expect us to play better, in our next two games I hope we play with more courage and attack and look to win the games and not sit 11 men behind the ball and hope we can nick a goal on the break.  All in all a poor evening and a poor performance which hope will improve and that we will bounce back but this time of year is not normally our best.

OTBC

[/quote]

Jeez! [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Signs/help-sos-sos-29402.gif[/IMG]

If we were poor Tottenham weren''t that great either - some of their passing and shooting was a bit wayward.

We held them till half time which was good, just couldn''t put in the extra push to really have a go.  Spurs had worked us out abit too in the second half.

Plenty of positives from this game -

Drury - good game - still has something to offer

Ruddy - good game - especially coming off his line (which he has been criticised for recently - but good tonight)

Martin and Whitbread-  ok

Delaet good until injury

Some good defensive work overall.

Onwards and upwards!

[quote user="mikewalker"]Get a grip cryarse ffs...you really expected us to bash Spurs?[/quote]

Why don''t you read the OP''''s post and then comment ? Did the OP suggest that we would beat Spurs ? No. Did he hope for wins in the forthcoming matches against QPR and Fulham ? Yes.

[quote user="Al Catraz"][quote user="mikewalker"]Get a grip cryarse ffs...you really expected us to bash Spurs?
[/quote] Why don''t you read the OP''''s post and then comment ? Did the OP suggest that we would beat Spurs ? No. Did he hope for wins in the forthcoming matches against QPR and Fulham ? Yes.[/quote]

Thanks Al Catraz

i think it may be time to switch back to 4-2-3-1 formation. when bennett and pilkington came on last night it lifted the peformance with both tracking back and aiding the defence. but not a lot of positives from this match.

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

OTBC

[/quote]

I can''t agree with you St.John.

It wasn''t a poor evening and a poor performance because through grit, organisation and commitment we restricted a flying Spurs team to just a 2-0 defeat. It was damage limitation and would have been for all but three or four other British teams.

We were forced to have men behind the ball because Spurs'' possession and movement was sublime at times and excellent otherwise. If we took off Holt or Morison for another midfelder/defender it would have been even tougher to hold on to the ball when we did have it in their half.

I wouldn''t get your hopes up for new defenders. Lambert said a while back that he wouldn''t be adding any and we already have

Tierney

Drury

Ward

Barnett

Whitbread

Ayala

Martin

Naughton

De Laet

To bring in even one more would make at least two players third choice and I don''t think any of them deserve that.  

I''d rather we lost 2-4 having a go at winning the game  than 0-2 defending for virtually the whole game. The tactics handed the initiative to Spurs and we were thus never going to stand any chance of getting a point. We showed them far too much respect IMO.

[quote user="paul moy"]I''d rather we lost 2-4 having a go at winning the game  than 0-2 defending for virtually the whole game. The tactics handed the initiative to Spurs and we were thus never going to stand any chance of getting a point. We showed them far too much respect IMO.[/quote]

Have to agree with that. We never really got at them we never really give it a go imo. Its not a moan we have come along way and staying up is priority, just felt it was a game we were given no chance, just go for it.

[quote user="paul moy"]I''d rather we lost 2-4 having a go at winning the game  than 0-2 defending for virtually the whole game. The tactics handed the initiative to Spurs and we were thus never going to stand any chance of getting a point. We showed them far too much respect IMO.[/quote]

The opposite, I think. Lambert showed Spurs too little respect by picking a team that ceded midfield. And ceded midfield to a very talented midfield.That is why we ended up, as you say, defending for virtually the whole game. Possession is pretty much everything, and we hardly had it.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

If we were poor Tottenham weren''t that great either - some of their passing and shooting was a bit wayward.

We held them till half time which was good, just couldn''t put in the extra push to really have a go.  Spurs had worked us out abit too in the second half...........

[/quote]I know the glass is always half-full for some people LDC but Spurs ARE a great team and they were playing against inferior opposition. From our point of view it''s just as well they left their shooting boots at home or the score would have been embarrassing.No shame in what happened last night. We were outclassed by Spurs and they''ll outclass other teams this season, some a lot better than us.