Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Now that was pure s###e!!

[quote user="Canarino"]Yes, all that may be true but this is a discussion board after all, as has been mentioned elsewhere. It''s all about the ordinary supporter having his or her say, even when that appears to be critical. And it''s the British way to be cautious, many of us are naturally glass half-empty types :-)[/quote]

=) granted, but for some supporters to come on here and say we''re for the bottom three by the end of the season based on last nights performance is ludicrous. We played a team with as hogesar said probably the best midfield in the PL.....were we ever going to come out on top in the midfield battle? probably not. Everyone has their own opinion I agree but stay positive, focus on the positives....were 11th place in the PL, were 7 points above the bottom three (8 if you want to include GD), were at the top of the promoted teams (4 points above QPR who thought splashing the cash was going to buy success....well it''s hasn''t as yet =) ) and we have one of the best up and coming managers in the country. Adjustments need to be made but we are the yellow army who never go down without a fight!!!!

[quote user="hogesar"]Think people are being a bit harsh on us really. Dissapointing yes, but this was one of (could yet be THE top team) the top teams in the league. The game was won in midfield and no matter how much you moan about tactics the main reason we lost was because their midfield had Bale, Modric, Parker etc...in my opinion the best midfield in the league.And you can moan as much as you like but the tactics could have worked. We got 0-0 at half time, there was always a chance of nicking something on the break but Spurs really came out second half and pushed. Once the goal went in we didnt look like causing them any real troubles and that was the case.I think the premature comments of "more performances like that and we''ll be relegated" are absolute crap. Like really, really bad. We won''t be playing the top 3 week in week out, for starters.[/quote]

Look at it this way - we have lost 7 league games this season, and 5 of those have been against the current top 5 teams. In other words, against the 5 teams we can''t reasonably be expected to compete with. We have played 13 games against "the rest", who you could argue are are the teams that we should be expecting to compete with, and we have lost 2 of those 13. I think that is not bad for a newly promoted club, and unlike last time in the Premier League, we are not routinely being humiliated by mid-table sides, in fact we are picking up points against them.Paul Lambert is right when he says that survival in this league would be a major achievement, and so far we are looking good to reach that target.[:)]

Like some others on here I really don''t know how last night''s performance by City can be critisised.We didn''t play that well but even it we''d carried on like in those first 30 mins at Molyneux we''d still have lost. Spurs are a superb team and if their strikers had been more accurate we''d have been hammered. The truth is we were outclassed and we''d best get used to the idea as it''s going to happen several more times this season.A 2-0 defeat against a team as good as that I can live with. If we lose by the same score in each of our next two matches then there might be more cause for concern......

Blimey are we talking spurs here or Barca, this is spurs who got hammered by Man u and Man City, drew with chelsea last week, they are not world beaters see how many points they take off top four teams at end of season. We gave them too much respect, come on we got it wrong not end of the world but surely people are allowed to say it, its just an opinion.

I thought first half we had a few decent attacks. We could have easily taken advantage of Spurs poor shooting, I think Ruddy only had to make one save? And catch a few poor corners in the first half. Spurs were passing the ball very well, Adebayor and Bale both should/could have easily scored in the first half, but we weren''t terrible. I thought our crossing let us down, only remember one half decent header, and that was during a rare second half attack. Crofts put in 2/3 terrible balls, Drury only got a couple of average balls in, De Laet flung a couple in as well, but with no real result.

Basically, rather than saying we were rubbish, Spurs were class. They didn''t even need to hit top gear, they kept the ball as well as Barca do. It just shows the gulf in quality between our team and theirs, they really exploited that in a way only Man.C have been able to do previously.

To be fair, whilst we were below par tonight, probably due to our shape, Spurs are a far far better team than us, packed full of internationals and seasonsed Premiership players. Lets face it, Bale, Parker, Adebayor, Van de Varrt, Gallas, Friedal and the jewel in the crown Modric are all quite superb players and far better than probably anyone in our squad. We were lucky it wasn''t 6-0.

The diamond formation sadly failed spectacularly last night, as both Holt and Morison, who thrive on balls into the box, got no service at all, and were reduced to trying to win long balls against some very quick defenders. Throw in the fact that Spurs players covered the ground very quickly, our players had no time on the ball and our limitations were exposed. We didn''t play our best, and at times overplayed the ball. But it''s all about getting points against the bottom 14 teams, as anything against one of the top 6 should be viewed strictly as a bonus.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]May I firstly hang my head in shame as one of those who will dare to mention a negative and as a result be slung into the bin of disrepute. I would love to pretend all is rosy and lest I forget where we came from, then I shall forever burn in the fires of hell (which is where we came from). Tonight we were poor, there I said it. Yes it''s OK because we are not always going to play well. I said it, I feel OK I''ve not reduced to flames and I feel good for saying it how it is. I wonder how Paul Lambert would manage if he were never allowed to pick up on a negative. Those boys would be skipping out to Exeter away if he were allowed to keep the same values as some of our following. The thing is, like Paul Lambert, we want the best and we expect the best from our players. He gets it most weeks which is great. What I saw today was a formation that was incorrect, in that we didn''t fill the midfield and a side that did not value possession. We gave the ball away in situations where we were under no pressure which is a sin at this level from any player. Sloppy play from players who usually perform much better. Like it or not we were poor today. I except Spurs are a great side but we did ourselves no favors and allowed them into the game in too many areas. Too much respect and not enough of our Canary spirit that we have shown all season.[/quote]

Your post is a million miles away from "Now that was pure s###e!! " so what is it you are trying to defend?

Yes Spurs are a different class to us. I''m afraid we''ll have to live with that one. The reason we were poor is because we weren''t allowed to be any better. One time in ten we may nick a point against such teams but even then we would be hopelessly outclassed. This is the Premier League and this is what it''s all about. Man U, Man C, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea are miles better than us all over the pitch. We will be outclassed every time we play them. Inferior players will look poor against players so much better. But to  say we were "pure s###e!!" is totally disrespectful.

[/quote]

I didn''t say were were pure s###e!! and I''m not trying to defend anything, just voice my opinion. You''ve lost me.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]May I firstly hang my head in shame as one of those who will dare to mention a negative and as a result be slung into the bin of disrepute. I would love to pretend all is rosy and lest I forget where we came from, then I shall forever burn in the fires of hell (which is where we came from). Tonight we were poor, there I said it. Yes it''s OK because we are not always going to play well. I said it, I feel OK I''ve not reduced to flames and I feel good for saying it how it is. I wonder how Paul Lambert would manage if he were never allowed to pick up on a negative. Those boys would be skipping out to Exeter away if he were allowed to keep the same values as some of our following. The thing is, like Paul Lambert, we want the best and we expect the best from our players. He gets it most weeks which is great. What I saw today was a formation that was incorrect, in that we didn''t fill the midfield and a side that did not value possession. We gave the ball away in situations where we were under no pressure which is a sin at this level from any player. Sloppy play from players who usually perform much better. Like it or not we were poor today. I except Spurs are a great side but we did ourselves no favors and allowed them into the game in too many areas. Too much respect and not enough of our Canary spirit that we have shown all season.[/quote]

You''re entitled to your opinion of course but I can''t agree with you.

1. That was the best we could do. We only lost 2-0 to a top top side on top top form.

2. No disrespect but I think Lambert knows the most suitable formation for his team considering his experience in management (and success) and his intimate knowledge of the fitness and form of his players.

3. We gave away the ball so much because the lads were flat out on their feet chasing the majority of the play and therefore made understandable errors.

4. We didn''t pay Spurs too much respect we went in at half time goalless. They were just far too talented for a newly promoted side to cope with.

It''s not personal  Yellow Rages - I think that any posters who question the loyalty of critical fans are narrow minded and unwelcome - I just disagree with you on this one.

[/quote]

Thanks for the well constructed and thoughtfull reply CC, may I respond to your points:

1) I don''t believe that was the best we can do. I''ve seen us pass the ball far better than that all season and the frustrating thing was that it wasn''t because we were playing a top side, it was just sloppy in situations where we were under no pressure at all.

2) I think you are almost right. I believe that Lambert does know what is best most of the time with regard to formation but like every other human being and manager, he can and does make mistakes. He made one yesterday by not playing 5 in the middle. It''s not a big issue or a problem but it is true that he picked the wrong starting 11. I''m sure he''ll get it right next time and more frequently than I or most managers ever will.

3) We were chasing the game because we were sloppy when in possession. If you keep giving the ball back to the other team, of course you will be flat out chasing the game.

4) I don''t think the respect issue is a reflection of the half time scoreline but more a reflection some of the decisions made by certain players during the game that allowed Spurs to play.

I understand it''s not personal so no issue there, I just know we can do better, I''ve seen it.

The only way we realistically stood a chance was if Spurs had a poor game defensively or an awful game up front. We needed their attackers to be off-par with shooting (which we got, to an extent) and then we needed them to defend poorly, which they have done on the odd occasion this season.Unfortunately that was not the case, and it meant the game would be won or lost in midfield. We could have had anybody in midfield but when Modric and Parker are playing well they are a class above 99% of Premiership teams and i strongly believe overall they have the best Midfield in the league.Our performance was not `sh!te` or `dreadful`, it wasn''t even that `poor`. We were outplayed. Unlike the Championship, you have to accept that sometimes in this league, against the top 4/6.

[quote user="Chip20"]I suspect it was a case of pressing the quote button by mistake instead of the reply button.[/quote]

I think we will let the courts decide that.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Your post is a million miles away from "Now that was pure s###e!! " so what is it you are trying to defend?

Yes Spurs are a different class to us. I''m afraid we''ll have to live with that one. The reason we were poor is because we weren''t allowed to be any better. One time in ten we may nick a point against such teams but even then we would be hopelessly outclassed. This is the Premier League and this is what it''s all about. Man U, Man C, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea are miles better than us all over the pitch. We will be outclassed every time we play them. Inferior players will look poor against players so much better. But to  say we were "pure s###e!!" is totally disrespectful.

[/quote] I didn''t say were were pure s###e!! and I''m not trying to defend anything, just voice my opinion. You''ve lost me.[/quote]

Well that dogs dinner of a post certainly lost me buddy. I nearly didn''t see it.

The first half of your post was about your right to criticise. Although why anybody should feel they need to spend so much time defending that right is beyond me. I was merely pointing out that your criticisms were a million miles away from the opening post. The OP was entitled "Now that was pure s###e!!" and contained balanced criticisms like "Every city player contributed nothing but garbage tonight". Yes he has the right to post that. But in my opinion it''s not only innacurate but disrespectful.

Is that any clearer?

[quote user="Yellow Rages"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

You''re entitled to your opinion of course but I can''t agree with you.

1. That was the best we could do. We only lost 2-0 to a top top side on top top form.

2. No disrespect but I think Lambert knows the most suitable formation for his team considering his experience in management (and success) and his intimate knowledge of the fitness and form of his players.

3. We gave away the ball so much because the lads were flat out on their feet chasing the majority of the play and therefore made understandable errors.

4. We didn''t pay Spurs too much respect we went in at half time goalless. They were just far too talented for a newly promoted side to cope with.

It''s not personal  Yellow Rages - I think that any posters who question the loyalty of critical fans are narrow minded and unwelcome - I just disagree with you on this one.

[/quote]

Thanks for the well constructed and thoughtfull reply CC, may I respond to your points:

1) I don''t believe that was the best we can do. I''ve seen us pass the ball far better than that all season and the frustrating thing was that it wasn''t because we were playing a top side, it was just sloppy in situations where we were under no pressure at all.

2) I think you are almost right. I believe that Lambert does know what is best most of the time with regard to formation but like every other human being and manager, he can and does make mistakes. He made one yesterday by not playing 5 in the middle. It''s not a big issue or a problem but it is true that he picked the wrong starting 11. I''m sure he''ll get it right next time and more frequently than I or most managers ever will.

3) We were chasing the game because we were sloppy when in possession. If you keep giving the ball back to the other team, of course you will be flat out chasing the game.

4) I don''t think the respect issue is a reflection of the half time scoreline but more a reflection some of the decisions made by certain players during the game that allowed Spurs to play.

I understand it''s not personal so no issue there, I just know we can do better, I''ve seen it.

[/quote]

Fair enough - you''ve backed up your points well.

Nutty,

Apologies for the dodgy post, having a little browser trouble. Think it''s sorted now.

I think I need to emphasize my point about having the right to criticise because once again we have a ''To all the moaners'' post on here from somebody who doesn''t get it and you get the same regurgitation every week. My hope is that at least one of these people will stop have a read and understand where they are going wrong. Maybe I feel more passionately about that right than you do.

The rest makes more sense now you have re-written it.