Sign in to follow this  
PJH122

Music

The original version of OTBC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPVn9eLOkF0) should be played before kick off. We sing it WAY too fast at the moment & it loses the sense of the original! And get rid of the goal music - it''s the main thing away fans notice when they come to CR.

Just my two pence.

I also agree about the goal music, but how is it  going to happen? There will be plenty of people on both sides. Quite alot of people aren''t that bothered about the music issue to make a fuss about it.

To me and I know others it spoils goal celebrations, having the c**p music.  So what is the next step? 

A petition?  Letters to the club?  Supporter''s club?  A locked thread at the top of the messageboard would be a start.  

Are there enough people interested?   

Absolutely!

Pete - if there is one thing that should be pinned to the top of the board it is this.

How do we make it happen? - I have written to McNally about this before but got no response.

This is something that is important to world football - its the oldest footie song - we should make far more of it than we do. Cut out the euro pap and goal celebration music and get this on at 150 decibels just before kick off!

Oh yes - and sing it properly rather than running out of breath in the first line! The crowd need educating in the majesty of the real way to sing it.

There was a longer than normal pause after the first goal against Newcastle before that awful goal celebration music came in and for a very brief moment it was like nobody quite knew what to do.

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]The contrived 3-2-1 thing gets on my tits. [/quote]Me too, but I guess its a good moneyspinner for the club unfortunately.

non-footballing "entertainment" is always controversial - but I am indifferent either way.  While a number of fans dont like it,  just as many do - but see it as an incidental so cant get passionate in its defence. 

I go to watch the game - I really cant get too excited about what the goal celebration music is (most clubs have one;  I quite like ours is/was different, I would not miss it if it were gone) and the pre match song,  yes contrived but harmless fun - people just need to chill.

OTBC is a dirge either way;  it is our dirge and I would love to see it sung at the right pace;   but how you change 10,000+ people on that is another matter...

Perhaps the original version of OTBC could be played in the 10 minutes before kick-off, at least remind/show people how it was sung.

Perhaps the person doing the 3-2-1 business could slow it down?

Good to see people agree. Someone make a petition! If we get a thousand signatures the club will pay attention.

The goal music is the sort of thing you''d expect of MK Dons not of a club with our history.

Agree - just playing the original OTBC some time before KO. It''ll remind people how it''s supposed to sound. It only sounds like a dirge right now because many people don''t know the tune.

My thoughts on the music for what they are worth,

I always get to the ground early to watch the warm up''s etc. The music is fine whilst the players are warming up. When they go in then I suggest that the music stops and the crowd can then start to build up the atmosphere. At the moment and I don''t know if it''s -   a) because of the music playing the crowd can not being heard. b) the fact that years ago you had to get to the ground early to get a good spot (back in the days of standing) whereas nowadays you have a reserved seat. - nobody seems to get to their seats until the teams come out of the tunnel?

For whatever reason the atmosphere at all grounds is poor before a game, years ago the banter started about 2.30pm. - don''t know if this will ever come back?

I would like the 3-2-1 thing to stop as this is embarrasing for the club but as Mprty says a good money spinner.....unless the crowd didn''t join in then noone would want to do it!

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

I always get to the ground early to watch the warm up''s etc. The music is fine whilst the players are warming up. When they go in then I suggest that the music stops and the crowd can then start to build up the atmosphere. At the moment and I don''t know if it''s -   a) because of the music playing the crowd can not being heard. b) the fact that years ago you had to get to the ground early to get a good spot (back in the days of standing) whereas nowadays you have a reserved seat. - nobody seems to get to their seats until the teams come out of the tunnel?

For whatever reason the atmosphere at all grounds is poor before a game, years ago the banter started about 2.30pm. - don''t know if this will ever come back?

I would like the 3-2-1 thing to stop as this is embarrasing for the club but as Mprty says a good money spinner.....unless the crowd didn''t join in then noone would want to do it!

[/quote]Spot on seats have killed the early atmosphere as you don''t need to get to the ground until minutes before the kick off.  And yes the 3-2-1 is so embarassing ,never have liked it and i never join in .

I don''t mind the goal music to be honest. Many sides have music after a goal. It''s just a bit of fun, where you can celebrate along with it, other than everyone just shout for about 2 seconds after a goal, then not know what to do. Norwich fans at Carrow Road aren''t exactly the loudest, so I doubt there would be much noise after a goal without the music to be fair.

[quote user="PJH122"]Good to see people agree. Someone make a petition! If we get a thousand signatures the club will pay attention. The goal music is the sort of thing you''d expect of MK Dons not of a club with our history. Agree - just playing the original OTBC some time before KO. It''ll remind people how it''s supposed to sound. It only sounds like a dirge right now because many people don''t know the tune.[/quote]

PJH - the current marketing man at MK Dons was the man responsible for introducing the goal music at Carrow Road - what are you saying?

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

[/quote]

Music, and thus the atmosphere, is dire at all grounds before matches cos they now have the PA systems that are loud enough to drown out any chance of a decent conversation.  They are never gonna be able to play records that appeal to all 25,000 in the same way before the match. Much better to have another pint at the pub - lost revenue Mr McNally take note!  Although I did enjoy Joy Division being played at Eastlands / Etihad - their music always sends a chill up the back of my neck and seemed appropriate for a Norwich fan that day (impending doom alert!) - can''t think what it does to Citeh fans before every match.  What did people think of watching a live band outside the Eithad before the match as well - could it work at Carrow Road?

As for goal music, can take it or leave it but at least its not Tom bloody Hark. 

Finally if Spurs / Southampton fans etc can slow down "Oh When the Spurs / Saints go marching in", and Liverpool have never sped up "You''ll Never Walk Alone", surely all it takes is a few like minded souls to sing OTBC slowly to change the mindset?  Surely the older boys like Harry & Smudger can teach the young upstarts in the Snakepit how to do it right?  It would be so nice to sing "....a goal!" once again.

For anyone who thinks they might not know how to celebrate the goal without the music, you go -  Yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!  City!  City!  Afew more shouts of Yes! Great goal! Come on you yellows and other such joyful phrases - a rendition of On The Ball City - at the right speed - then on with the match.No need for naff music - that''s only needed for line dancers and those who are afraid of the quiet.  Would we really be quiet after we scored a goal??   [:^)]

[quote user="ryan1992"]I don''t mind the goal music to be honest. Many sides have music after a goal. It''s just a bit of fun, where you can celebrate along with it, other than everyone just shout for about 2 seconds after a goal, then not know what to do. Norwich fans at Carrow Road aren''t exactly the loudest, so I doubt there would be much noise after a goal without the music to be fair.[/quote]

Utter tosh Ryan. What the hell makes you think there wouldn''t be much noise after a goal, without having that s### being blasted out every time?Why do you and others like you need to be orchestrated into pumping your arms up and down for ten seconds and going ''der der der der'' etc? Haven''t you got a mind of your own?Do whatever the f###  comes into your head at the time, its called spontaneity!!!!I just don''t know how us older ones managed to enjoy our football before the days of the PA man!

[quote user="lake district canary"]For anyone who thinks they might not know how to celebrate the goal without the music, you go -  Yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!  City!  City!  Afew more shouts of Yes! Great goal! Come on you yellows and other such joyful phrases - a rendition of On The Ball City - at the right speed - then on with the match.No need for naff music - that''s only needed for line dancers and those who are afraid of the quiet.  Would we really be quiet after we scored a goal??   [:^)]

[/quote]SPOT ON LDC!

Agree with all, the song sounds so much better and more meaningful with the original version. The problem is the recording suffers from a poor reproduction quality

One idea may be to get a decent local group/new recording at the original tempo with out any messing about with it.

I am convinced this played before games for a few matches would soon get the crowd singing it as was originally intended. Unfortunately sung at the current tempo it does sound a bit of a dirge.

I''m all for having the old version of On The Ball City played before the match. Would be awesome to hear it being sung properly, I really hope it happens one day.ps. Glad my 500th post is for such a good cause!

Fair enough, but if it would be that loud, then why was it introduced at CR in the first place? I''d love us to get a huge/loud atmosphere without the music, i just can''t see it happening. The atmosphere is usually fairly poor at CR unfortunately, and when we score at the minute, there is a lot of noise generated, so why change it? If it''s good enough for Brazil, it''s good enough for us [;)] Atleast the song is on for a good 20 seconds or so. You can''t (as another poster said) shout ''yeeeeessss'' and pump your fists is the air for 20/30 seconds really can you? It''s just a bit of music which gets people dancing/cheering along too. It doesn''t stop other people doing their own thing when they score, so why do people feel the need to feel so angry about a bit of music? It''s not asif the PA announcer says ''right everybody, we''ve just scored, so now you all have to go dadadada along with the music and dance along too it'' is it? For crying out loud, lighten up people! Every ground I''ve ever been too has had goal celebration music!

ryan1992 wrote: It''s not as if the PA announcer says ''right everybody, we''ve just scored, so now you all have to go dadadada along with the music and dance along too it'' is it?

But that is what happens - people are just suckered into it. It''s this thing of everything you do these days is being controlled by someone else.  Its ok to say lighten up, but there are alot of people who don''t like something as simple and instinctive as cheering a goal becoming something choreographed like something out of a night club or some tv show.    Its a raw emotion when your team scores - the music for me - and others - dilutes and detracts from that emotion. 

Cut the goal music - I am sure no-one would miss it...............

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Would anyone miss the goal music? 

[/quote]

No not really.The worst thing for me is hearing it on the highlights,it''s cringy.

as an `outsider` i`ve no opinion either way about "on the ball city", BUT, that goal music is cringe-inducing. i remember reading a survey a year or so back, and it was one of the things voted `most hated` in football grounds, even by supporters of teams whose sides did it. it rates alongside cheerleaders and people running up and down the touchlines with big flags!.what makes it worse is that no music is played when the opposition score, so you just get to hear the away fans going mental!.

my own team , manchester city, don`t have it, never had, and i hope there`d be insurrection if it was ever tried!!.