Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Is 9th as high as we can go ?

With Newcastle having a game in hand it could be that we will be eight points behind, quite a bit of a catch up in this league.A win at WBA is a must if we are to stay in contact with Newcastle and Stoke

The harsh reality of modern day football is that the top 6 positions are almost a closed-shop without ridiculous investment.

I think if we''re to maintain our position in the top-half a couple of players will need to be added but in Lambert & this group of players we''re capable of beating just about anybody.

Just have to to take it 1 game at a time though and if we do that we''ll finish where we deserve to.

We can''t get too carried away when we win but also not too down when we lose a couple.

9th this season top 6 next with the right shrewd signings that Lambert will make over the summer.

Good god, does anyone care if we go higher or not? I''d finish the season now! I''m sure 95% of our fans would take 17th, apart from the fifa/football manager players on here who have no grip of real football anymore, who are also most likely the morison/whitbread baiters on here.

[quote user="HuckerbysMullet"]Good god, does anyone care if we go higher or not? I''d finish the season now! I''m sure 95% of our fans would take 17th, apart from the fifa/football manager players on here who have no grip of real football anymore, who are also most likely the morison/whitbread baiters on here.[/quote]

I think we all would have taken where we are at 2.1.12 on day one of-the season.

But one game at a time. There is a fair gap ahead of us but a very small one underneath.

For me, I watched a live fed and think we were a lot better today over news years eve with a huge improvement with the

movement off the ball.

Whits looked good although made some worryingly moves forward with the ball, KoS2 is looking good also.

The table says one thing though.... Being the 6th highest scorerers we can hit the net and goals are important but we must do something about keeping them out.

Enjoying this season immensely

OTBC and HNY

[quote user="HuckerbysMullet"]Good god, does anyone care if we go higher or not? I''d finish the season now! I''m sure 95% of our fans would take 17th, apart from the fifa/football manager players on here who have no grip of real football anymore, who are also most likely the morison/whitbread baiters on here.[/quote]

Iwill be hanging out the flags if we finish anywhere higher than 17th, Job done, build for next season, then aim for mid table, get their then look from then on,main thing is don''t try to run before we can walk, QPR are paying the price for letting Tony in and proof in the pudding is in front of you.

This is max for us with schedule who will come next weeks.Vey hard home games until end so hard job to be done until May.we are on pole simply need to win 4-5 games ........OTBC

The original post is something that I''ve been thinking about recently too. The top teams do pay silly money, but the money being chucked about by the lower teams is pretty silly too. Lambert and our scouts have recruited the best available players from the lower leagues, and enough of the players bought have held their own in nearly all of the matches so far this season - this has to be down to excellent preparation work on the training ground, coupled with players reaching their potential in games, "playing without fear" as Lambert would say.

Stokes'' position in 8th, while still in the Europa league, is probably the height of ambition for any club our size, but if we''ve scored the 6th highest number of goals, if only we could keep clean sheets that Swansea do, well, you start to wonder where the ceiling is for the club.

Agree with the comments about newcastle, I also wonder if Chelsea are due to fall, end of an era, Drogba leaving, Lampard / Terry getting older, Villas Boas needs to be backed for a rebuild or let go of. although the worst anyone would expect from them is 5th / 6th. I wonder if we could catch them ? Nah, that''s mad... :)

While dreaming of a top 8 finish is a lot of fun, I think the more important thing is that we''ve now opened up an 8-point lead over QPR.

Despite their win at the weekend, I don''t think Blackburn have a chance of surviving, and Bolton for me look dead certs to go down as well, which means the rest of us are scrapping to avoid one relegation spot... The rest of January and February hold some tough games for us, but looking at the March fixtures, every single one of those is realistically winnable. I think Colin''s lads will struggle to make up a deficit of 9 points over us between now and the end of the season.

Here''s hoping for a solid second half to the season and a decent cup run!

I''m with pete and majestic, anything 17th or above is amazing...get a grip chaps...don''t look at where we are in the table, look at how many points we are from 18th spot.

Next season is...er?...well, another season. ;0)

I also think 17th or above is the most important thing.  Looking up, if you''d had to bet the mortgage at the start of the season on the top 6, I don''t think many people would have come up with a different list from the current table.

And looking down, I am hoping that the current bottom 5 (Wolves, QPR, Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton) who are on 13-17 points are starting to fall away from the mid table which is basically the 7 teams from us on 25 down to Sunderland on 21.  If those 5 (or most of them) do fall away it will make things a lot more comfortable.

Looking up I can also see Newcastle dropping down a bit, but Everton are 1 point below us with 2 games in hand, and Stoke do keep churning out the results.  So anything higher this season is optimistic. 

I hope we make a couple of good signings and I''d be more than happy with us consolidating mid-table.

9th is as high as we WILL go and boy wouldn''t it be good to stay in that ballpark. Have to see what this month holds in store transfer wise - hoping the purse strings are loosened enough to get what is required.

Don''t get too excited.

We haven''t yet avoided relegation. 

We haven''t yet reached 6th place.

We could go up higher, we could go down lower, but where ever we are on the roller  coaster it''s going to be  exciting. 

Enjoy!!

"which means the rest of us are scrapping to avoid one relegation spot."While a pile of ridiculous old sh!te.Like wise to achieve this mythical 17th spot would require us to pick up only another 10 points or so, which would mean us having one of the worst half seasons on record. The stupidity that underpins this twaddle is that were we to have taken this ''ever so umble little ole norwich'' mentality in August 2009 we would still be rattling around at the bottom of League 1 not daring to try to win a game lest risked relegation. If we finish 17th now it will also be one of the worst halve of a season the club has ever achieved in it''s history. other times of dismal failure have been preceded by a slow downward drift. We are on what is one of the most successful spells in the clubs history if measured by progress and yet we are still burdened with the dimwitted who bleat about us needing to aim for failure.We could have shut up shop today and tried to play for a draw. Another point, mustn''t grumble etc But we didn''t ... and we haven''t since Lambert arrived. We have picked up numerous points by having a win at all cost mentality. Far, far more than ever we have lost. We would not be here otherwise. It is not a seperate part of the club either, it runs right through the club. From McNally giving the NOTW a slap lies it printed to the coaching staff ''re-invigorating'' so many players from Nelson, through to Lappin today. As to this baloney - " look at how many points we are from 18th spot" then look how many points we are off Arsenal and Chelsea - much the same.And that is the point of the OP. Despite the whinging and whining on here we have NOT been in a relegation fight or even in a relegation spot since the season started. In fact we have averaged around 10th. How much then can we realistically expect to overhaul those just above us ? That will be what is playing in the minds of those at the club. Forget the consolidation talk, that was for the not too bright. The club went for it hell for leather in the two previous seasons. The £4m worth of bonuses paid confirmed that.Likewise with nearly £800,000 for each place higher the club are fully aware of the benefits of winning - and the need to do so. That''s what this season has been about.  A case of having a club that is run by those with thinking caps not by fans wringing their flat caps. Personally, I think 7th is within our grasp.

Given our new (top-half) status we really shouldn''t be thinking of simply staying up! I doubt anyone inside the club has spoken like that for several weeks now...

"

Avoid relegation first. Then start to dream about how high we can finish."How do we do the former without aiming for the latter ?

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]I''d rip someone''s arm off if they offered me 17th right now.[/quote].Why? We should be aiming a lot higher both for financial reasons (800K per place?), for keeping hold of an ambitious young manager and for attracting better players to the club next season. I''d consider 17th to be a failure after the start we''ve had and the comparative weakness of the teams in the bottom half.

As a devout player of Football Manager anything less than top 4 will be a disgrace!

Kidding... I still play 2011 and while I managed promotion 1st season I could only muster a 15th place finish, getting as high in the table as 12th at one point. So Lambo''s still better than me

Unrealstic game though as Ipswich joined us in the PL for 2012/13, that''s never gonna happen!