Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

My top 3 transfer targets.....also listed as potential movers on the BBC website

James TomkinsJAMES TOMKINS (22, centre-back) West Ham United Talented England JAMES TOMKINS (22, centre-back) West Ham United Talented England JAMES TOMKINS (22, centre-back) West Ham United Talented England Under-21 central defender who could be snapped up by a top-flight club should they be looking to strengthen their backline.

Robert SnodgrassROBERT SNODGRASS (24, winger) Leeds United Had appendix surgery at Christmas but wants to cement his place in the Scotland team. A Premier League club could target him.

Jordan RhodesJORDAN RHODES (21, forward) Huddersfield Town Has already scored 19 League One goals and West Ham have declared a strong interest in the English-born Scottish international.

Didn''t another team put in a high (for us) bid for Rhodes recently? I like Rhodes, and would like to sign him, but to get him would require sinking our whole widow budget on one player. I can''t see this happening. 

I think that this is another one who got away.

Snodgrass woukld be a good signing, especially if PL could produce a little more consistency from him. Leeds and Grayson seem to be waning at the moment, and the player might be attracted to a premiership team under PL.

Tomkins is unknown to me, but unless WHU are awash with CBs, why would they release him whenm they are challenging for promotion?

Tomkins will cost somewhere between £6m - £7m in January. West Ham don''t want or need to sell him and I can''t see Tomkins wanting to leave West Ham for Norwich.

Snodgrass is a good player, but I can''t see what he would add to the Norwich squad at the moment. Probably available for around £3m, but that seems a lot for a player who isn''t a huge improvement on what we currently have.

West Ham tried to buy Rhodes for £3m and were knocked back by Huddesfield - this already sounds pretty steep for a player who has only scored goals in League One. Again I''m not sure he would add a huge amount to the squad, a fit James Vaughan is a better player than Rhodes in my opinion.

I can see De Laet being sent back due to injuries and also he really hasn''d been good enough. Gunter and Naughton on permanent deals for right back positions to enable De Laet to go back. With 2 loan options available, Delfouneso on loan from Villa and Gibson from Man Utd could be possibilities, especially as Lambert has talked up bringing more experienced lads who could hit the ground running. I think they both still have the attributes that Lambert would look for.

Tomkins would be a good one but i think it''d be more likely in the summer if they dont achieve promotion and we manage to stay up. Dawson there would be no chance he''s been injured or he would be in their side. I wouldnt mind seeing Ciaran Clark at Villa, looked pretty decent last season. Billy Sharp might be worth a look he''d offer something different to the others we have. Trouble is it''s hard to guess at what level of player the club is looking at.

Tomkins will cost at least £6m for West Ham to even contemplate selling and will have other suitors, so thats a no go

Our biggest weakness this season has been our inability to retain possession and control games. You can see from the chopping & changing, Lambert is trying to find the balance in midfield.

A composed footballer with a good engine is my No1 target.

PL has said no to anymore CB or defenders.

But we have no problems scoring goals, its leaking them in at the back thats the issue.

Vaughan on way back.

Centre Mid that will get 5-6 goals would be good. Don''t see that happening with Fox, Johnson, Wes, Surman etc

Anthony Wordsworth (Colchester), Matt Phillips (Blackpool) and Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield) for me.

Lambert''s worked with Wordsworth and Phillips before, so can see those happening. Possibly throw in Chris Martin as a sweetener for Rhodes?

Not convinced we''ll sign a defender (excluding Naughton), especially with Ward coming back.

I would quite like to see Lambert make a move for Jem Karacan at Reading - been impressed with him everytime I''ve seen Reading play and he is good at breaking up play in the middle of the pitch.

That said I''m not sure how much he would improve the squad or if it would be adding more of the same. Possibly the best thing for Lambert to do is to spend everything on one player who is going to play every week rather than several players who are much of a muchness.

I have no idea who specifically, but in general there seem to be two relevant and related criteria for this transfer window - the gaps/weaknesses in the squad and the various tactical formations Lambert has used. Three different starting systems in the last three games indicates that he doesn''t have an ideal formation. This window is a chance to solve that problem, or at least improve the choices.

One obvious gap (assuming Lambert is unsure about Jackson as a PL-quality player and can''t rely on Vaughan getting fit) is for a pure goalscorer, or possibly a wing-striker. A wing-striker would certainly fit in to the 4-4-1-1, or a standard 4-4-2.

The other is for an all-purpose midfielder (tough but skilful) who can get beyond the striker/strikers. One of the problems with playing the 4-4-1-1 is that we don''t have that kind of player in the squad, and so lack menace. Possibly we thought/hoped Crofts was it, but it seems this may be a level too high for him.

The other general point, having seen the Fulham game, is how much we lacked pace, compared to some of their players. Frei in particular.