Sign in to follow this  

Anton Ferdinand chanting yesterday

I don''t mean to kick up a stink, but feel this needs mentioning.One downside to yesterday for me was the sporadic chanting aimed at Anton Ferdinand. In particular, "One John Terry" got going a couple of times - I suppose it''s not all that surprising to hear from a few drunken idiots, but I was amazed at the number of people that joined in. Those that did should take a look at themselves. As a Norwich fan I don''t wish to be associated with the clear inferred meaning of that. A few fools near me in the upper tier (Y5) also tried to get "Anton Ferdinand, you know what you are" started, but thankfully it didn''t catch on.For the record, I don''t believe we have a large proportion of racists amongst our support. However, there is giving an opposition player stick and then there is crossing the line. I was disappointed.

[quote user="Northluck C."]I don''t mean to kick up a stink, but feel this needs mentioning.One downside to yesterday for me was the sporadic chanting aimed at Anton Ferdinand. In particular, "One John Terry" got going a couple of times - I suppose it''s not all that surprising to hear from a few drunken idiots, but I was amazed at the number of people that joined in. Those that did should take a look at themselves. As a Norwich fan I don''t wish to be associated with the clear inferred meaning of that. A few fools near me in the upper tier (Y5) also tried to get "Anton Ferdinand, you know what you are" started, but thankfully it didn''t catch on.For the record, I don''t believe we have a large proportion of racists amongst our support. However, there is giving an opposition player stick and then there is crossing the line. I was disappointed.[/quote]

I was in the lower tier in block Z2 to the left of the goal yesterday and was also appalled by what I heard.There were a couple of racist idiots behind me who kept trying to

start the Anton Ferdinand song and twice got it going when a few other sheep joined in. Both times I told them to stop singing it. 2nd time I got in

an argument with them when they claimed they could sing what they liked. When I asked if they were even Norwich fans they laughed and said "no". Don''t know who they were but its possible they could have been Chelsea.However, if they were City

we should find these scum and get them banned before they bring shame on our

club.For the record they were sitting in Lower Tier, Block Z2, Row E, Seats 111 & 112.

There were a few idiots in the lower Barclay singing the John Terry song at the Tottenham game too. They are all season ticket holders and renowned halfwits. I said my twopenneth to them and it''ll be interesting to see if they sing similar songs at the next game, especially as it''s Chelsea. Sadly I think they are all too stupid to know any different.

Well done for raising this Northluck C. 

However i disagree with you in that you do not wish to cause a stink.  I think a stink needs to be caused.

The john terry chant was discraceful but it was not an isolated incident. At the spurs game there were monkey noises chanted by a not insignificant number of "supporters". I know they were directed at bale but the monkey chant has always been associated with racism and was offensive to me and was likely to have been offensive to any black supporters and players who heard it.

Unfortunately  despite a great 1st half of season and great away win when i think of NCFC today it is with shame and emabarasment.

I was in the lower tier and heard the " we know what you are chants"...absolute idiots, I thought my fellow NCFC fans were a bit brighter than that but I suppose there are halfwits everywhere.I''m sure the club could find them if the people next to them could tell the club exactly what seats they were in. I was Z3 and it was defo to the left of me, so Z2 sounds correct.

My daughter and I were in Block Y3 row F and heard the chants a couple of times. No idea who started it or sung it but there were a few in the rows below I think. Whoever it was needs to have a think about themselves.

Didn''t know about this. Profoundly depressing and not helping the perceptions created by the Vaughan / Bright incident. It sounds like people know enough though to identify these people so get on to the club pronto. You have my 110 percent support and I''m sure everyone elses on here.

I also heard some half brain, so called Norwich fan, shouting racist comments about Shaun Wright- Phillips in Y2 upper yesterday......I had enough of this in the 80''s....

My wife and I were in the Upper, way over to the right, and heard nothing. But our two sons, who had more central tickets (I spoil them, I know) heard it. They said that it was only a few and that they were shouted down by other fans.

I am proud to be a Norwich fan when I see a thread like this and hear that other fans reacted so well yesterday.

The great club from the fine city has some great fans -- and a few brain-dead bigots.

That''s ok, we never did think it was you Mick[;)]

What is surprising is that everybody seems to be so surprised this happens. I doubt there''s anyone our age who doesn''t know someone who is racist. To assume none of these people go to football is naive. The ones who get caught are the ones who don''t realise what they are doing. The more "dangerous" racists know when to keep a lid on it.

I would''ve thought someone who holds strong racist views would have a hard time supporting a club nowadays, considering virtually all professional clubs have players from a wide range of backgrounds, shall we say. I genuinely believe the majority of people who get involved with these chants, rather than being inherently racist, are just so severely misguided in their relentless quest to give opposition players stick, that they can''t distinguish between what is acceptable and what is not. As I said in the OP and others have said since, these people need to take a look at themselves and think before they open their mouths.

[quote user="Northluck C."]I would''ve thought someone who holds strong racist views would have a hard time supporting a club nowadays, considering virtually all professional clubs have players from a wide range of backgrounds, shall we say. I genuinely believe the majority of people who get involved with these chants, rather than being inherently racist, are just so severely misguided in their relentless quest to give opposition players stick, that they can''t distinguish between what is acceptable and what is not. As I said in the OP and others have said since, these people need to take a look at themselves and think before they open their mouths.[/quote]

You''d be surprised Northluck. A racist can still support a team regardless of who is playing for them.But you''re right that a lot of the youngsters who get involved with the chants aren''t neccessarily motivated by racism.

In this case Northluck (loving the Pro Evo reference by the way) I think I agree with you.  A lot of these chants tend to get filed under ''banter'' as if that makes it acceptable but, of course, there are limits and some people are unable or unwilling to see them.  Having said that I think there are plenty of people who hold genuine racist views who still support football clubs and attend matches, Norwich included.  Either way, whether it''s racism or ignorance, I hope these people are punished appropriately.

Has this been reported to the club yet? I hope so because this is disgusting. Generally where I was sitting upper tier, Y2 I think to the left behind the goal we were very well behaved. I heard none of this but had I, as others did I think I''d have told them to quieten down.

I commend you for that by the way, because it''s intimidating speaking to anyone at a football match about being quiet- but specially once under the influence of alcohol.

Not sure I can be much help to the club other than to confirm that I heard it. I was row B of the upper tier and everyone who was singing it was behind me, so I couldn''t see exactly who they were. All I can say is that a lot of people joined in with the John Terry chant (not just the odd couple of voices), which disappointed me most.

report it to the club. if the seating is not "unreserved" the club will be able to pinpoint exactly who bought the tickets....i find it sad to read this, especially after the good news of justice for Stephen Lawrence.

I had 6/7 lads behind me at the game who were singing that. It annoyed me and my mate, who decided to turn around to tell them to stop singing it. They then decided to act "big" and offered me outside as I was a pussy. Totally appalled at this behaviour and they seemed to be oblivious that it could have been classed as a racist comment....

I can only think nobody from QPR heard it as they are gunning for us at the moment and I havent heard it mentioned from their end. NCFC seem to be public enemy number one this week and they would love an opportunity to find something else to throw at us, and on this occasion they''d be right. I''m surprised they havent though. It was quite loud and could easily be heard from where we were in Y4.

I think it just goes to show further my theory that there are certain sections of NCFC supporters and actually Norfolk as a whole who really struggle to comprehend what is racist and what is not. You only have to see people''s reactions to what Luke O''Donoghue said about James Vaughan on Twitter to see that.

Let''s face it, if you grew up in Norfolk pre-2000 it is very rare you would ever come into contact (horrible way of putting it I know) with anyone of a different ethnic background and I think that means people are just so uneducated about it.

Sometimes I''m absolutely disgusted by what comes out of our supporters mouths and really there is no way of defending it other than saying these people''s ''chants'' come about because of ignorance rather than malice.

I know on the whole Norwich fans are an alright bunch, but there are (as is probably the case for every club) one or two idiots about.

Once/if they are identified they may well find themselves being charged with the same as John Terry and also hopefully banned from football grounds for life.The chants towards Bale were just as distasteful.I would have hoped anyone following City was above this sort of thing. Obviously not!

The lads that started the "There''s only one John Terry..." chant were sat behind me in block Y6 row I.

They arrived in the ground drunk and it all started off in good spirits - i.e. loud but just that - and I''m all for that kind of support for the club. The problems started when QPR scored, I couldn''t see who it was aimed at, but one or two QPR kids in the area next to us were getting singled out and subject to some pretty serious threats. The police came and spoke to them, and they calmed down - from what they were saying to one another they were all familiar with the risks of continuing with their behaviour, in particular one of them who had been arrested at the Spurs game.

The threatening of the QPR fans continued throughout the game, in particular one of them saying "Remember this" (pointing at his fist) and saying "I''m going to cave your skull in".

A few times in the game they started the "One John Terry " chant, only once did it catch on a little bit, towards the end of the second half I think. The stewards must have seen who they were, didn''t do anything about it though. A guy in front of me turned round and said something to them in the end and they piped down pretty quickly - there''s no doubt they knew they shouldn''t be singing it, doesn''t make it right though.

I''m in two minds really as to whether to report it to the club. I''m fairly sure they weren''t in their allocated seats is my main issue with it.

There are 2 letters in the EDP today complaining about the Bale chanting from the snakepit.

[quote user="Col Canary"]I was in the lower tier in block Z2 to the left of the goal yesterday and was also appalled by what I heard.There were a couple of racist idiots behind me who kept trying to

start the Anton Ferdinand song and twice got it going when a few other sheep joined in. Both times I told them to stop singing it. 2nd time I got in

an argument with them when they claimed they could sing what they liked. When I asked if they were even Norwich fans they laughed and said "no". Don''t know who they were but its possible they could have been Chelsea.However, if they were City

we should find these scum and get them banned before they bring shame on our

club.For the record they were sitting in Lower Tier, Block Z2, Row E, Seats 111 & 112.[/quote]You must have been sitting right behind me then, as I also turned around to tell them to pipe down, I was in the second row seat 111

Was disgusted with Norwich fans behavior recently however this is no new thing and we have had radicals within our terraces for a number of years. Think you living in dream land if you consider us to be a ''family'' club.

"It''s just banter innit?" -the last resort of a racist when confronted by such accusations.

Heartily support and agree with the views on here.

Those that offer up "banter" as the cloak that justifies their chanting would do well to note a definition of the word- that it is "...the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks..."

To those "fans" (term used with reluctance) I say this...

Now, quite apart from the fact that it cannot be considered "banter" if the recipient cannot have the opportunity to respond (and had Bale done so during the Spurs game, you can bet your season ticket those that offered him out would go running in tears to someone and complaining about it), they also need to ask what is, 1. Playful and 2. Friendly, about comments relating to John Terry and monkey sounds etc.

It isn''t banter and don''t claim it is. Claim that you are small minded and ignorant by all means, claim that you have a problem with other races and ethnic groups if you must, it doesn''t justify it or mean people will then say its OK, but at least you''re being honest-and can be treated accordingly with people who have a problem with the likes of you-which will be most of us.

I doubt that the John Terry/Ferdinand chanters will appear on here to explain their actions, hopefully they will!  But one thing to them: it isn''t banter, so play another record from your limited collection.