Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

Praise from Zonal Marking

In [url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jan/05/manchester-united-midfield-tactics]this article from Michael Cox in The Guardian[/url].

"Lambert is proving to be one of the league''s most interesting managers."

Not seen too much discussion on our occasional use of three at the back on here but it is quite unusual in the Premier League.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

In [url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jan/05/manchester-united-midfield-tactics]this article from Michael Cox in The Guardian[/url].

Not seen too much discussion on our occasional use of three at the back on here but it is quite unusual in the Premier League.

[/quote]

A point I made here a while ago was that the system Cox is talking about is one way (perhaps the only way) of accommodating Hoolahan and two strikers:

Three central defenders, at least one of whom (Martin, Ayala?) has the ability to get forward into midfield. That is crucial.

Two wide players acting as wing-backs.

Two central midfielders.

Hoolahan behind two strikers.

I was mentioning the sweeper system of the 90s on another thread earlier, and i wonder if the way we set up v QPR (plus a number of other attempts at 3 at the back which haven''t yet proved too successful) has a little to do with the man who played that sweeper role back then, Ian Culverhouse.

The sweeper would tend to be a little withdrawn of the three CBs but would have a floating role, almost like a defensive version of Wes'' diamond role, being free to go and extinguish any threats that get through the other defenders. Then wing backs would provide the width, a combative and passing pairing in the middle, with an attacking mid ahead of them and two strikers up top.

I think we now have the CBs to pull this off better, with Ayala fit and De Laet and Martin being very adaptable between full and centre back. I can see Ayala playing the sweeper role well as it requires someone who can clean up and pass out of trouble. Bennett and Pilkington are maybe too attacking as wing backs, maybe Tierney could fill one of the slots. The midfield pairing could be any range of options from Fox, Johnson, Crofts, Surman...

For me Martin is the obvious choice for Sweeper, he has such great positioning and reading of the game, look at how many balls he''s been able to clear off the line while still fulfilling the CB role, given freedom to roam he''d be cutting balls out all over the place, add to that the ability to break with the ball without worrying about leaving a hole at the back, seems a perfect fit.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]although it is a bit poor when they can''t even read the team sheet...

"Simon Pilkington caused havoc in his new role"

[quote user="dhickl"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]although it is a bit poor when they can''t even read the team sheet...

"Simon Pilkington caused havoc in his new role"

[/quote]

Might have been worse. They could have said Karl.