Sign in to follow this  
sirgrege

Must buy powerful players...

Looking at recent successful premier league teams, they all seem to have at least two power players in the spine of their teams:

Man Utd: Vidic and Rooney

Newcastle: Ba and Tiote

Man City: Kompany and Toure

Tottenham: Adebayor and Parker

and the Chelsea that won the title were the same with Essien and Terry.

In my opinion we don''t have any players with real strength and energy in abundance. Should we be taking a leaf out of their books and buy players that are similar? Just a thought.

A very good thought as that has been one of the main failings of Grant Holt. He is not powerful enough and gets shoved of the ball too easily.Morison is another big softy without enough power.Maybe steroids or monkey glands are the answer.If not then at least make then look powerful ... a cape and mask with a pair of those dodgy pants might do the trick."Is it a bird, is it a plane ... no it''s Holty Man ! "

My point exactly! We seem to be lacking someone who will actually out muscle a defender and someone with enough power and energy to control the midfield! We need someone in the mould and price range of Tiote for Newcastle, an absolute snip at just £3.5 million!

yeah! power is the way forward - just look at the best team in the world (Barca), huge fekcers in the midfield there.

I like your Parker example - the man''s a power mountain!

English Football is totally different to Spanish and European football, our game is more direct and focuses a lot more on the physical side of the game so we cant compare ourselves to any team in that league and shouldn''t base our style on them!

When you are paying the sort of transfer fees we are, you are not likely to get players that score a ten for pace, ten for physicality, ten for technical ability.

We have a team full of strong and competitive players, i believe that was one of criteria Lambert''s top criteria for addressing this seasons squad. We have scored more headed goals than any other team, to me that means physically we are are able to compete. The inability to compete physically was a major downfall of our previous premiership campaign, in my opinion.

I think we lack a little bit of pace and a little bit of technical ability. These players cost more, and are what we are probably looking to address now (we have a foothold). This is why Lambert is reconsidering his policy of young hungry players from the lower leagues.

Ayala though rusty has looked impressive to me. At times the strength he has shown (thinking when he left Jamie Mackie on the deck middle of our half), and also the technical ability, leads me to believe he could be a hugely influential player in the coming season for us. However, so far it is only glimpses so fingers crossed.

[quote user="Europe_93"]When you are paying the sort of transfer fees we are, you are not likely to get players that score a ten for pace, ten for physicality, ten for technical ability.

We have a team full of strong and competitive players, i believe that was one of criteria Lambert''s top criteria for addressing this seasons squad. We have scored more headed goals than any other team, to me that means physically we are are able to compete. The inability to compete physically was a major downfall of our previous premiership campaign, in my opinion.

I think we lack a little bit of pace and a little bit of technical ability. These players cost more, and are what we are probably looking to address now (we have a foothold). This is why Lambert is reconsidering his policy of young hungry players from the lower leagues.

Ayala though rusty has looked impressive to me. At times the strength he has shown (thinking when he left Jamie Mackie on the deck middle of our half), and also the technical ability, leads me to believe he could be a hugely influential player in the coming season for us. However, so far it is only glimpses so fingers crossed.[/quote]

Definitely agree with Ayala''s quality and on first impression he looks like a class player who could well shape our season but in my opinion we still need to someone who will boss the midfield, both attacking and defensive! Although I do realise that those sort of players come at a large price and so will be hard to come by.

We don''t have anyone capable of doing that at the moment as the current midfielders don''t have enough premier league experience!