Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Lambert wonders if any lower league gems left

Isn''t this just because he''s not operating down there any more so he doesn''t get to see first hand where and who they are? I bet they''re there. I was thinking this earlier in the season. Now he has his hands full managing a team in the premier league, how is he going to find the Pilkingtons, the Martins and the Tierneys?

Definitely think this is the future modus operandi for clubs these days. Why wouldn''t it be IF you could find players on the cheap (ish) in the lower league and mould them in to a premier league team. It''s a no brainer. Of course it requires a very special manager to make that team but we are lucky enough to have that so we should keep doing it if we can. Perhaps with the odd experienced head thrown in here and there.

I would say he is just "Boxing clever" to avoid inflated prices when a club hears that Norwich are after one of their players.

Or is it a case of him laying out his thoughts for next season.  No doubt he believes we''ll be here again next season. And to take the next level we need to purchase a better class of player.  Those players are at the very least the top end of the Championship. For example Stoke, in their second year they starting spending £5m on single players.  If we have genuine ambitions of being a Prem League regular, £5m on players would have to be considered on a regular basis.

But there must be an element of truth if only because he is not operating down there in L1 any more. How many of our current squad are with us because Lambert knew them in the lower leagues? He can''t pick up players that he actually really knows any more. Don''t expect too many more Martins and Tierneys simply because our signings are going to be much more of a gamble now.