Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Walker and the Class of 92 vs Lambert and the Class of 2011

That team of 92 was my first real experience of the team i was supporting being really damn good and winning games regularly. Back then we were one of the top few teams in the country and every game was exhilarating.

I have no doubt that team was better than the one we have now, but now is the first time that i''ve felt that same sense of exhilaration supporting Norwich. Yes winning Champ and league one and promo last year were amazing, but we were still fighting just to be at the top level, much less compete there. Jesus it has been a long time in the wilderness. I''m not sure what i would have done if someone had told me i''d have to wait nearly 20 years before i could enjoy my team competing at the top of the national game again.

So here we are, and now i do recognise a feeling i had in that 92/3 season, beating teams like Arsenal, Leeds and Villa (when they were both good!) and scoring goals of the season. Today, competing with those top teams is so much harder and unfortunately we can''t expect to beat them, but staying in this league, if we do it, for me will be equal to finishing 3rd in the first ever Premier League season.

What do others think - how does the 92/3 season compare to 2011 (so far)?

[quote user="a1canary"]That team of 92 was my first real experience of the team i was supporting being really damn good and winning games regularly. Back then we were one of the top few teams in the country and every game was exhilarating.

I have no doubt that team was better than the one we have now, but now is the first time that i''ve felt that same sense of exhilaration supporting Norwich. Yes winning Champ and league one and promo last year were amazing, but we were still fighting just to be at the top level, much less compete there. Jesus it has been a long time in the wilderness. I''m not sure what i would have done if someone had told me i''d have to wait nearly 20 years before i could enjoy my team competing at the top of the national game again.

So here we are, and now i do recognise a feeling i had in that 92/3 season, beating teams like Arsenal, Leeds and Villa (when they were both good!) and scoring goals of the season. Today, competing with those top teams is so much harder and unfortunately we can''t expect to beat them, but staying in this league, if we do it, for me will be equal to finishing 3rd in the first ever Premier League season.

What do others think - how does the 92/3 season compare to 2011 (so far)?[/quote]

I was born in that year, and even I know football is completely different now, the style, the money, the players etc.

Its not fair to compare the sides really.

What the side of 92/93  had was an instinctive awareness of each others abilities, built up over a period of years.   It was one of the hallmarks of that side - they made football look easy.    One of the main players (sometimes underestimated at the time but nevertheless a cultivated, skilful footballer) - Ian Culverhouse!     Maybe his coaching style today incorporates and encourages this kind of intuitive/fluent play in the present set up.    One of the noticeable things about the team from 1989 - 1994 - they got better and better (until players started being sold.).    The present day team is doing the same - progressing and improving all the time.

We were lucky to have such a good structure in the late 80''s early 90''s.   I think we are just as lucky today as the signs are encouraging that a similar approach is emerging - and of course we have to thank Paul Lambert who is the main man, but Ian Culverhouse''s role should not be underestimated - and he is a common link between the sides of the two eras.

The style wasn''t so different GP. Ok the PL in general is different with the influence of continental coaches and players now but the NCFC side of 92 wasn''t so different. We didn''t mix and match as much as we are doing now but our preferred system of the era was to player a sweeper in the shape of current coach Ian Culverhouse. It was the equivalent of our diamond in that it was something that other teams weren''t doing and they often didn''t know how to deal with it.

I guess i''m comparing the achievements of the respective teams and the rapport they created with the fans, rather than the players like for like.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

What the side of 92/93  had was an instinctive awareness of each others abilities, built up over a period of years.   It was one of the hallmarks of that side - they made football look easy.    One of the main players (sometimes underestimated at the time but nevertheless a cultivated, skilful footballer) - Ian Culverhouse!     Maybe his coaching style today incorporates and encourages this kind of intuitive/fluent play in the present set up.    One of the noticeable things about the team from 1989 - 1994 - they got better and better (until players started being sold.).    The present day team is doing the same - progressing and improving all the time.

We were lucky to have such a good structure in the late 80''s early 90''s.   I think we are just as lucky today as the signs are encouraging that a similar approach is emerging - and of course we have to thank Paul Lambert who is the main man, but Ian Culverhouse''s role should not be underestimated - and he is a common link between the sides of the two eras.

[/quote]

Well said though I always thought that the 1988-89 team was even better than the class of 92 (4th in League, FA Cup Semi etc) but the key is how the two squads transitioned over the years.

" I always thought that the 1988-89 team was even better than the class of 92 "

I too used to drool over watching Stringer''s side - the controlled passing and movement, intelligent use of the ball etc - they were great to watch.   That semi-final was a bit of a let down, though (and then overshadowed by other events, I know).   Walker then took the mantle and added a bit of directness and the rest is history!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I was born in that year, and even I know football is completely different now, the style, the money, the players etc. Its not fair to compare the sides really.[/quote]

[|-)]

[|-)]

[|-)]

OTBC

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I was born in that year, and even I know football is completely different now, the style, the money, the players etc. Its not fair to compare the sides really.[/quote]

[|-)]

[|-)]

[|-)]

OTBC

Why the yawns Bly? Although we can compare with the side of ''92 it is clear that the footballing landscape has altered significantly in the last twenty years. For a start it would be impossible for a team like Norwich to finish third today.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

" I always thought that the 1988-89 team was even better than the class of 92 "

I too used to drool over watching Stringer''s side - the controlled passing and movement, intelligent use of the ball etc - they were great to watch.   That semi-final was a bit of a let down, though (and then overshadowed by other events, I know).   Walker then took the mantle and added a bit of directness and the rest is history!

[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQeXLg3IN7c

Just to prove the point a clip of your everyday 2-1 win at Old Trafford. Though to take on board what GingerPele said about it being different in those days I think Bowen would have walked for his DOGSO, look at the terraces and Norwich''s first goal coming from Manure''s assistant manager!

I was going to say that the stand-out men in that team were the midfield

duo of Crook and Goss, which I think we have replicated in Hoolahan and

Pilkington, but then I realised, thinking back, that actually the team

was a lot more than Crook and Goss.  The defensive pairing of Newman and

Butterworth/Polston, Bowen at left back, Fox on the wing and Sutton at

the front were all key in that team''s success.  I can see us replicating

all of those positions in our current team apart from the central

defense pairing.  Tierney seems to be doing well, we seem to be able to

cross the ball as well as the 92-94 team could, and in Holt and

Morrison, we have strikers who can score.The key to progress

will be a solid central defense pair, although they don''t come cheap

nowadays.  Also, I think learning how to strike the ball from some

distance - only Pilkington really seems to be able to score from outside

the box - would be a good addition to the squad.At the start of

the season, I was hopeful we could stay up.  I''d be surprised now if we

didn''t.  But we need some solid central defenders.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Why the yawns Bly? Although we can compare with the side of ''92 it is clear that the footballing landscape has altered significantly in the last twenty years. For a start it would be impossible for a team like Norwich to finish third today.[/quote]

I''m sure we were saying that in 1959 and 1972 and 1981, Shack

Never say never. And I''m sure Lambert doesn''t in his quiet moments.

The worm will turn and football will evolve again.  And we need to be around when it does. 2016 will not be as today. Believe!

Ahhhhhhh......!! That feels better.

[C]

OTBC

Of course its fair to compare the sides, you just have to apply a bit of common sense which I appreciate is difficult for some on here :)

I get a bit angry when people take time to write a post and it gets met with arrogant post''s like the quote above...from the same poster who did a ''dying swan act'' the other day about the very subject of member relations?

I attended my first game in October 1992. The 2-1 win over QPR. Being very young at the time I remember very little about Walker and his ways of managing i.e. tactics, relationship with the media, his players etc.

I do feel, with my own opinion and the opinions of family members and friends who have been Norwich fans and attending games for well over 30-50 years, that Paul Lambert is without doubt the best manager this football club has ever had.

What Walker achieved here with the players he had was fantastic! However, Lambert surpasses Mike''s achievements because of where Lambert had to bring our football club from.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]

Of course its fair to compare the sides, you just have to apply a bit of common sense which I appreciate is difficult for some on here :)

I get a bit angry when people take time to write a post and it gets met with arrogant post''s like the quote above...from the same poster who did a ''dying swan act'' the other day about the very subject of member relations?

[/quote]

Thats a load of rubbish, its not arrogant. Football is completely different now, from the way clubs are run to the fitness of the players. And what dying swan act? I don''t do any acts. That post was in no way arrogant or offensive, its my opinion.

GP - your original post came across as dismissive and therefore slightly arrogant.   It actually comes across as if you are dismissing  any possible comparisons  because you aren''t old enough to remember it!     

Comparisons can always be made if you have the knowledge and experience.   I wouldn''t begin to pretend I know anything about the 59 team (although my Dad would have!), anymore than you would pretend you know anything about the 92 team, because knowledge is 2nd hand or out of a book.   But if you do have the knowledge and experienced it first hand - there are always comparisons to be had.  It''s not like saying one is better than the other, necessarily, but parallels can always be drawn.   Football is football, and if there is any comparisons to be made then I don''t see why people should not be able to make them without being knocked back.

It wasn''t mean''t to be arrogant.

Thats just how I feel, obviously I don''t have the experience and knowledge of the game pre-2000ish, only rough highlights from various eras. I just don''t think a direct comparison can really be made. One person (was it the OP) said that staying up this season would be as good an achievement as finishing 3rd back then, to me that just backs up my point. If finishing 17th in the Premiership in 2011 is as good as finishing 3rd in 92, then football has completely changed.

I''m not going to say anyone is wrong in making the comparisons, and looking at my post again thats probably how I came across, all I mean''t by it, is I don''t think the comparison can be made (like i''ve seen some people say Maradona was better than Messi because he won the Italian league with a crap club, Messi couldn''t possibly do that now because of how the game has changed, doesn''t make him less of a player than Maradona)

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I attended my first game in October 1992. The 2-1 win over QPR. Being very young at the time I remember very little about Walker and his ways of managing i.e. tactics, relationship with the media, his players etc.

I do feel, with my own opinion and the opinions of family members and friends who have been Norwich fans and attending games for well over 30-50 years, that Paul Lambert is without doubt the best manager this football club has ever had.

What Walker achieved here with the players he had was fantastic! However, Lambert surpasses Mike''s achievements because of where Lambert had to bring our football club from.[/quote]