Sign in to follow this  
M.E.B.O

Replace Ruddy in January, useless and overrated

I may have only been to 2 live games this year, but he looked fine in both, couldnt do much about the goals that went in!Did you see that save at QPR? top goalkeeping, it would have gone in had it not been pushed onto the barUseless and over-rated? You sound a fool

There''s no doubt that Ruddy isn''t perfect in dealing with crosses, but as his confidence grows he''s improving in that respect, and in the last few games he''s looked to be a bit quicker off his line. As a shotstopper he''s tremendous. Had Joe Hart made the save from Taraabt''s free kick (and believe me, it looked even better live than on TV) he would be getting the full blow job from the slavering BBC pundits.

Ruddy is still a work in progress, but he''s learning and developing and hasn''t let us down in the most pressurised league in the world.

good keeper, could do with some competition. Been reliably informed by an old uni friend who went to school with fraser forster that we had £2m turned down in summer for him

Of course Ruddy isn''t perfect, but neither are any of our players. Can anybody show me a Premiership goalie who hasn''t cost his side points this season and who you can guarantee will not do so in the future? Even if you can, is his club willing to part with their infallible ''keeper for the money we can afford? Ruddy will make mistakes that will cost us points, but so will the rest of our team. Every goal we concede will be the result of somebody making a mistake, be it a misplaced pass, getting caught in possession, failure to close an oppontent down, slipping on the turf.

Experienced Premiership goalkeepers will come with experienced Premiership wage demands and, as alluded to above, there will be a reason their parent club is willing to let them go. Most of our squad lacks Premiership experience (beyond that gained this season); why should Ruddy be singled out as a weak link? He is been an almost ever-present in a side that reached the top half of the Premiship after half a season; is he suddenly not good enough for the second half? Just because a ''keeper has more Premiership appearances under his belt than Ruddy, does that automatically make him a better player? Does it automatically follow that he will make fewer mistakes?

It is easy to see how many mistakes Ruddy makes because we follow him every game he plays. We have no idea how many mistakes other ''keepers make (outside those that resulted in goals conceded) because we only see limited highlights of other games. I am sure if you followed each of the goalies mentioned in this thread for the whole of every game they play you will see they make as many errors (costly and otherwise) as Ruddy.

To an extent, I agree that serious competion for the ''keepers'' jersey would be beneficial, but it will be hard to find somebody as competent as Ruddy who is prepared to warm the bench on the off-chance of a long-term injury befalling the latter. It is a little different for outfield players because there is a greater likelihood of getting a chance to play and earn themselves a regular starting spot. Any goalie we sign would have to come on the understanding that they may rarely play (because Ruddy is first choice) or that they are the first choice, in which case why would their own club be willing to let them go?

Forster is a good goalkeeper but he also does have moments like this in his locker. It just proves all keepers make mistakes. (If you are of a nervous disposition I advise you not to watch this link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XSbIPkvi9M

When Ruddy first arrived last season he was abysmal, though it was probably just taking him more time to settle in. Ok, we''re yet to keep a clean sheet this season but he''s doing well enough for us. He''s made plenty of saves that have allowed us to get something out of games - including a spot kick against Stoke.

Teams dont sit 9th in the Prem at the halfway stage with a useless keeper. He is doing enough and improving. I was right behind the goal in the second row at QPR and he was definately commanding his box, he has all the ingredients for a top keeper and I think he will develop to become one.

[quote user="HazzaJet"]When Ruddy first arrived last season he was abysmal, though it was probably just taking him more time to settle in. Ok, we''re yet to keep a clean sheet this season but he''s doing well enough for us. He''s made plenty of saves that have allowed us to get something out of games - including a spot kick against Stoke.
[/quote]

Ruddy has never been "abysmal", for goodness sake.  He has always been a good shot stopper but I agree with the rest of your post.   What people don''t often mention is that he is improving all the time.  His movement off his line is better - he stopped a certain goal by coming off his line against QPR.     Its the thing I like watching best, seeing how players develop and improve - and Ruddy plainly works at his game. 

That''s the great thing about PL''s management - you can see the players and team  improving all the time.  It''s an upward curve. Long may it continue!

Ok so most of you don''t agree with what I''ve said and that''s fair enough.

However most of you do agree we could do with experience as back up to let the young lads go on loan.

Made my suggestions, so Keene to know who you think we could realistically Sign?

Also just read ''Norwich are set to sign Nathan Delfounso from Aston Villa, and Emmanuel Frimpong from Arsenal, on loan deals till the end of the season''

Have no knowledge of the arsenal guy, but Deflfonsou could be a good loan.

[quote user="M.E.B.O"]Ok so most of you don''t agree with what I''ve said and that''s fair enough. However most of you do agree we could do with experience as back up to let the young lads go on loan. Made my suggestions, so Keene to know who you think we could realistically Sign? Also just read ''Norwich are set to sign Nathan Delfounso from Aston Villa, and Emmanuel Frimpong from Arsenal, on loan deals till the end of the season'' Have no knowledge of the arsenal guy, but Deflfonsou could be a good loan.[/quote]

Frimpong''s gone to Wolves.

Discussion about Delfouneso here (if you cast your eye just a few posts below your own on the main board).

As has been flogged to death on this forum over the past few months, we cannot sign any more players on long-term loan (i.e. until the end of the season) while we already have Naughton and De Laet on such deals (unless one becomes permanent, as Lambert has indicated he would like for Naughton).

[quote user="Chip20"]

[quote user="M.E.B.O"]Ok so most of you don''t agree with what I''ve said and that''s fair enough. However most of you do agree we could do with experience as back up to let the young lads go on loan. Made my suggestions, so Keene to know who you think we could realistically Sign? Also just read ''Norwich are set to sign Nathan Delfounso from Aston Villa, and Emmanuel Frimpong from Arsenal, on loan deals till the end of the season'' Have no knowledge of the arsenal guy, but Deflfonsou could be a good loan.[/quote]

I never mentioned we loan a goalkeeper, I said we sign a keeper and allow Rudd and Steer to go on loan.

Frimpong''s gone to Wolves.

Discussion about Delfouneso here (if you cast your eye just a few posts below your own on the main board).

As has been flogged to death on this forum over the past few months, we cannot sign any more players on long-term loan (i.e. until the end of the season) while we already have Naughton and De Laet on such deals (unless one becomes permanent, as Lambert has indicated he would like for Naughton).

[/quote]

"I never mentioned we loan a goalkeeper, I said we sign a keeper and allow Rudd and Steer to go on loan."

M.E.B.O., I was referring to your reference to ''Norwich are set to sign Nathan Delfounso from Aston Villa, and Emmanuel Frimpong from Arsenal, on loan deals till the end of the season''

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="HazzaJet"]When Ruddy first arrived last season he was abysmal, though it was probably just taking him more time to settle in. Ok, we''re yet to keep a clean sheet this season but he''s doing well enough for us. He''s made plenty of saves that have allowed us to get something out of games - including a spot kick against Stoke.
[/quote]

Ruddy has never been "abysmal", for goodness sake.  He has always been a good shot stopper but I agree with the rest of your post.   What people don''t often mention is that he is improving all the time.  His movement off his line is better - he stopped a certain goal by coming off his line against QPR.     Its the thing I like watching best, seeing how players develop and improve - and Ruddy plainly works at his game. 

That''s the great thing about PL''s management - you can see the players and team  improving all the time.  It''s an upward curve. Long may it continue!

[/quote]

Just think ourselves lucky that we haven''t got that clown at Liverpool in goal for us. My Granny in her pinny could have stopped Man. City''s first goal.