Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Forget Rhodes - Demba Ba has £10m release clause

Jordan Rhodes is undoubtedly a very talented goalscorer and will IMHO make it in the Premier League one day.  If as a manager / chairman it is going to cost you £6m - £10m to sign him this month, and if you have the money then personally it''s a no-brainer to me and you offer the £10m to get Ba.

After reading the news about Ba''s release clause I''d now be amazed if one of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs did not stump up the £10m required.  I''m less sure Man U or Man City would be interested.

It''s a win win situation for the likes of Spurs or Liverpool.  Especially if rumours of interest in Darren Bent are true, because you''d have to spend huge to get Bent at least what Villa paid for him possibly more.  But you could now possibly get Ba for £10m and he would probably get you at least as many goals.

Of course if you are Harry Redknapp for example and if your January transfer kitty was £20m then you could get both Ba and Rhodes and still have change left.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2083369/Demba-Ba-leave-Newcastle-bargain-10m-fee-thanks-release-clause.html

Is Demba Ba worth the risk of paying £10 million for though? I know that sounds ridiculous because he is scoring for absolute fun. But I am thinking more about his injury record. While he is stringing games together easily at the moment he has this degenerative knee condition.

That makes him impossible to insure. There is clearly something in it because he failed two medicals. One at Wolfsburg and one at Stoke. That meant the move collapsed on both occasions. He is a great signing for Newcastle because there is little risk attached on a free transfer should the worst happen (save a few signing on fees). But when you are paying big money for him, it becomes a different ball game.

Sadley we can forget both. We will not have anything like £10m to spend on a single players for many seasons even if we do survive. As for Rhodes i think we have missed our chance, with hinsight the last closed season was the time to go for him, when we got Pilkington. Rhodes has been so good this season his value will have soared to in excess of £5m which we cannot afford either, there weresome premiership managers watching him in the away game at wycombe last night and he scored 5 !!!

i would be surprised if any club was willing to take a gamble at that price. and i doubt spurs` chairman, levy, for example, would sanction that.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Sadley we can forget both. We will not have anything like £10m to spend on a single players for many seasons even if we do survive. As for Rhodes i think we have missed our chance, with hinsight the last closed season was the time to go for him, when we got Pilkington. Rhodes has been so good this season his value will have soared to in excess of £5m which we cannot afford either, there weresome premiership managers watching him in the away game at wycombe last night and he scored 5 !!![/quote]

Not necessarily; when the opportunity is right we will find the cash. Dean Ashton was a serious punt when we acquired him - and a player like Rhodes could be seen as a similar proposition.

Regarding funds, our plan is to secure Premiership status. Given we are in the top half already it makes the decision a little easier - and there are few leaders better than David McNally at making decisive choices!

We spent nearly £10 million in the summer, with McNally (or someone) saying we have fund for January as well. Considering out current position, i think those funds will have increased, as surely the bored have the upmost confidence in Lambert now (if they didn''t already), it will take a minor disaster for us to get relegated, its all in our hands, and while it could all fall apart, does anyone really think that will happen?

Someone said we won''t have £10 million to spend on one player for many years, we probably will. Depending on the state of the squad, since we have so many players under 30 (or even under 25) were not going to need to buy 4-5 first team players every year, were only going to need 1 or 2, and any replacements for players sold, i''m fairly sure Wolves have spent something like £8+ million on one player recently (although I could be completely wrong), and the way McNally seems to be able to make funds available without any serious investment is pretty impressive, Everton don''t seem to be able to manage it, we probably spent more this summer than Everton did.

If we could sign Rhodes for £5 million, I think Lambert would be tempted. But Huddersfield are going up, aren''t in any financial danger, and Rhodes is their star player. He might not even want to leave since he is doing so well, obviously the temptation (and money) of the premiership will undoubtedly get him away from the club, but I can''t see Rhodes (at least publicly) pushing for a move away. Which immediately means Huddersfield can hold out for more money. £10 million could very well be nearer what Huddersfield will be accepting for him, also a bidding war could also spark, sure someone said 8 prem scouts were at the game last night, means there is lots of interest....