Sign in to follow this  
Dame to Blame

We were also watching Rhodes last night

According to the Daily Mail West Ham are facing an even tougher battle to sign Jordan Rhodes after

he scored five at Wycombe last night. Eight Premier League clubs were

represented at the game, including Spurs, Everton, Aston Villa, Norwich

and Newcastle.

I suspect we may have watched him a number of times.If we can push the boat out and get him we need to get a move on as i suspect he will not be at Huddersfield for much long despite what their chairman and manager say

I don''t think it would take too much persuading of Rhodes to join us, Huddersfield will be the only problem, really depends on how much there holding out for them, Newcastle, Spurs and Villa can presumably all out bid us, and Everton should be able to, they just don''t spend any money.

If say us, Villa and Newcastle all get bids accepted, maybe Pilks could help get him here, who knows....

Two things in our favour - the manager, who knows our set-up and seemed pleased that Pilks had come to us and satisfied with the transfer fee, and the second is is Pilks himself. These must weigh slightly in our favour.

Against us is that he scored five in one match! In the end the bidding may put him beyond our budget, let alone wage offers.

I am not sure how Rhodes himself would view us - could he expect a regular game in the Premiership, how would he view travelling to Norfolk, etc?

I would like to sign him, but I suspect that ultimately we shall be priced out.

One little titbit I have heard murmerings about is that we have actually been watching a different Huddersfield player, not Rhodes.

I hasten to add that it is a murmering and may not have any basis what so ever. Rhodes would be good mind you. Would he be that extra push a bit like dean Ashton.

Rumour is they want at least £4m for him, can''t see us paying that.

[quote user="cityangel"]Rumour is they want at least £4m for him, can''t see us paying that.[/quote]

£4 million would be cheap, and definatly worth it.

Its not just a short term, help keep us up this season investment. Singing Rhodes would be a great buy, he has years to go and to improve, and with Lambert''s track record of getting League One players playing at higher levels, it would be a bargain.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I don''t think it would take too much persuading of Rhodes to join us, Huddersfield will be the only problem, really depends on how much there holding out for them, Newcastle, Spurs and Villa can presumably all out bid us, and Everton should be able to, they just don''t spend any money. If say us, Villa and Newcastle all get bids accepted, maybe Pilks could help get him here, who knows....[/quote]

That''s because they haven''t got any.

I would pay £4 million quite happily. But I cant see them coming to the table for less than about £6 million. And that really is pushing it then.

Someone has suggested on twitter, which has now been put on the transfer clockwatch at sky sports news we have made a "substantial £4 million bid" for him. Time will tell...

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]Someone has suggested on twitter, which has now been put on the transfer clockwatch at sky sports news we have made a "substantial £4 million bid" for him. Time will tell...[/quote]unless mcNally or the club have tweeted it im always disbelieving.. would love it to happen though!

...and the guy tweeting on the Sky transfer feed that we''ve made 4mil bid is some hockey playing dude from Australia called Brett.

I''m guessing his source may not be that reliable!?

Hmmm, I think that Huddersfield will try to hold out for 5 personally... wonder if there is anything in whats gone up on the sky stopwatch, even though it is a twitter source.

I don''t often post anything transfer rumour-ish but Rhodes is definitely someone Lambert would like to sign, from what I''ve heard. Infact I gather he''s top of the list.

They have already turned down £4 million and i am not convinced they would accept 5 , silly money for a player who is unproven at Championship level let alone Premiership , Jackson would score a hatful if he started every game in that Huddersfield side and he is not worth £5 million.

[quote user="GJP"]

I don''t often post anything transfer rumour-ish but Rhodes is definitely someone Lambert would like to sign, from what I''ve heard. Infact I gather he''s top of the list.

[/quote]

From whom? Please don''t say someone''s cousin.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

From whom? Please don''t say someone''s cousin.

[/quote]

Can''t say.

What I can tell you is that the person is in a position to know such things. Usually this person would deny knowing of a players existence, let alone denying we''re interested.

This person has let slip about Rhodes though. Possibly because Rhodes is being looked at by so many clubs we''re not in a position where we need to be as discrete about what we''re doing.

Well worth £5m in my opinion.

The transfer market has inflated massively in recent seasons, and £5m nowadays is probably the equivalent (or even less) than the £3m we paid for Ashton in 2005. No reason why Rhodes can''t make the same impact, so I hope we can do something.

People are saying how he''s unproven etc.That''s true, and there''s always the slight element of risk, but I think people forget this lad is only 21, because he''s been around for so long (competing for top scorer at 19 when we were in the league).He''s 21, and he''s already scored nearly as many goals as Holt scored for us in a whole season in league 1. In all competitions he''s scored 27 goals in 25 appearances this year.The Scottish manager says he''s as good a finisher as Shearer.I know we can''t buy a player based on stats and videos, but I''m sure this lad is as good a prospect as there is at the moment. I would love to sign him

A couple of good articles about him herehttp://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=63695I have to say I thought at £4-5 million he was a) overpriced for a league 1 playerb) not worth spending all (?) of our transfer budget on as money would be better spent on 2-3 players to give the rest of the squad ''a hand''..However, I now really really want to sign him! Yes its a lot of money, but he''s young, British, clearly a talent, will carry on improving and seems to be a good lad/head screwed on right to boot.. (plus how much would it p1ss off the binners!) The main stumbling block (apart from other clubs offering more money) is that Huddersfield will fight tooth and nail to keep him til the summer as they see it as another Marcus Stewart moment.It would be a risk but no more so than signing Ashton for £3.5m, and I can only see his value increasing over the next few years..Lambert obviously wants him so lets go get him, what a signing of intent it would be!otbc