Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

premier league survival or winning the fa cup?

Well we only get to try and stay in the Premier league once every 6-7 years at the moment, whereas we can try to win the FA cup every season, No contest for me, stay up at all costs, if we could see Norwich consolidate in the mold of Fulham, expand the ground, attract quality players and then start having cup runs/flirting with Europe it would blow a FA cup win out of the water.  Ask Portsmouth.

Put it this way would you rather be in our postion or Portsmouth . I know where i would rather be. Watching top players and top teams every week and having a good slice of media coverage, is miles better than watching avarage teams and avarage players, and getting 20 seconds of highlights on the tv. Being in the prem is where you have to be if you want a top football club  and attracting the better players.

Portsmouth are not in the position they are now because they won the FA Cup though are they [:^)]

It''s no contest for me. The whole point of football is winning trophies. You are not going to sit your grandchildren on your knee years down the line and regale them with tales of how you were there when Norwich got themselves onto a sound financial footing by consolodating their Premier League status. Your grandchildren will not be inspired to follow NCFC by looking through press cuttings of a second tier being built on the City Stand.

I want to see Grant Holt prancing around the Wembley turf with the lid of the FA Cup on his head. That is what football is all about.

The pragmatist in me says survival - all that money etc.

The romantic side of me says the Cup - Norwich winning the FA Cup is a once in a lifetime kind of event. I would imagine in the next 10 years Norwich will have relegations and promotions - I doubt we will get to even an FA Cup quater final in that time.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Portsmouth are not in the position they are now because they won the FA Cup though are they [:^)]

It''s no contest for me. The whole point of football is winning trophies. You are not going to sit your grandchildren on your knee years down the line and regale them with tales of how you were there when Norwich got themselves onto a sound financial footing by consolodating their Premier League status. Your grandchildren will not be inspired to follow NCFC by looking through press cuttings of a second tier being built on the City Stand.

I want to see Grant Holt prancing around the Wembley turf with the lid of the FA Cup on his head. That is what football is all about.

[/quote]

Arguably they are, Shack.They won the FA Cup because they built up a highly-paid squad that was way beyond their means. And that caught up with them. As to the argument here, I am running out of years, but I would still (this season at least) take survival. That way we potentially have the deep joy of playing Joey Barton again in the Premier League.

PS. Speaking as a structural engineer,[8-|] my grandchildren like nothing more than disaster tales of roof supporting beams and detailed explanations of continuum mechanics...[;)]

If it was an option of us definitely doing one or the other, then the FA cup. Let''s not forget that we had a 7year plan or whatever, we wouldn''t go bust if we got relegated, and being only 21, winning the cup at Wembley would be the highlight of my supporting "career" by a long, long way. And would probably be the highlight for a long time afterwards as well.

But in real terms, we''re not definitely going to win the cup, so the hypothetical question becomes reality, and it''s got to be survival.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]No but they were the best example i could give regarding the original posters question . Did they not win the cup and are now a relegated team.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

Arguably they are, Shack.They won the FA Cup because they built up a highly-paid squad that was way beyond their means. And that caught up with them. As to the argument here, I am running out of years, but I would still (this season at least) take survival. That way we potentially have the deep joy of playing Joey Barton again in the Premier League.

PS. Speaking as a structural engineer,[8-|] my grandchildren like nothing more than disaster tales of roof supporting beams and detailed explanations of continuum mechanics...[;)]

[/quote]

Good post Purple. So that rules out the Portsmouth comparison because we have built up a squad of players well within our means. We have to play on Saturday so here''s hoping we get a result. The early rounds of the FA Cup are very different to the League Cup. These are not really extra games until the 5th Round at the end of February. Until then it could be argued having a cup game could be more beneficial than a blank weekend. Even after then I really don''t see how being involved could affect our league status. Yes we could pick up an injury but we picked up an serious injury while we were losing to MKDons.

I''m with my old mate Blah. Let''s win the cup and stay up.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good post Purple. So that rules out the Portsmouth comparison because we have built up a squad of players well within our means. We have to play on Saturday so here''s hoping we get a result. The early rounds of the FA Cup are very different to the League Cup. These are not really extra games until the 5th Round at the end of February. Until then it could be argued having a cup game could be more beneficial than a blank weekend. Even after then I really don''t see how being involved could affect our league status. Yes we could pick up an injury but we picked up an serious injury while we were losing to MKDons.

[/quote]

Actually, nutty, not until the sixth round in earlyish March, when we are due to play Wigan at home. The third, fourth and fifth rounds are all spare weekends this season for PL clubs.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually, nutty, not until the sixth round in earlyish March, when we are due to play Wigan at home. The third, fourth and fifth rounds are all spare weekends this season for PL clubs.

[/quote]

There you go them. No problem whatsoever.

Unless of course Blackpool had a cup run.............

Some interesting replies here and I''m quite surprised how many have opted for the FA Cup.I''d love to see us win the FA Cup but I don''t think it''s gonna happen in my lifetime ( I''m hoping for a few more attempts at least ). I wonder whether the younger posters aren''t so bothered as the Cup has lost a bit of it''s magic over recent years ?Considering how hard it is to get into the Premier League and the riches it brings it''s got to be survival for me. If we go down I might never see us get back up again. The small amount the FA Cup brings in in terms of cash is always welcome but it''s small beer to what the top tier means.Perhaps that explains why since we played Birmingham in the Championship Play-Off Final in 2002 it''s now become tradition that the losers of the Final take home all the gate receipts.

Initially I thought survival, but the more I think about it, I want that cup. The amount of times as a City fan we''ve been accused of having no history or whatever else is unbelievable, it''d be nice to have that in the record books forever.

Besides isn''t the point of football to win things like this?

[quote user="ricardo"] the FA Cup doesn''t have the status it used to have. [/quote]ask any footballing kid in this country what their dream is and it will be to score in the cup final, to score at Wembley... its never to score in the premiership.The FA cup is magic and if it had lost its spark the likes of Liverpool, arsenal, Man City and chelsea wouldnt have won it in recent years...The History books dont tell you how it was won.. it just tells you who...the FA cup is still the best. a shame the semis are at wembley though.. that should be kept for the final alone.

Consequences of winning the FA Cup and being relegated?

Great day out, fantastic memory, bragging rights (short lived), some silverware (alright to me still the biggest and the best v.

Championship won''t be as easy to get out of a second time, having to play our yokel cousins down the road instead of the best teams in the world bar one, possibly losing Paul Lambert and assorted players.

God it''s close (not). Stay in the Prem for me anyday!

I''m a Norwich City fan, not a Premier League fan.

I don''t go to Carrow Road in the hope that we become an established Premier League team so we can watch Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea every week.

I go to Carrow Road to watch Norwich. I want to see them win because it is infinitely more enjoyable watching a victory than a defeat. That is all. The Premier League is just a by product of winning more than losing, it is not the primary end for me as a fan.

Therefore my answer is the easiest question that has ever been posed on this message board. The FA Cup. Every single day or every single week in any given calendar year. It surprise and upsets to see so many people saying the contrary.

Someone mentioned that we have to live in football 2012. Well, I hate to have to tell you this, but in Football 2012 we cannot win the Premier League. It is not possible. Therefore your desperation to survive might just lead to being able to climb an extra position in the competition the next year until at some point we might reach 7th or 8th, at which point there will be no room for improvement and the only place we can go is sideways or down. But hey, you get to watch Man Utd once a year, so who cares?

So long as we can survive as a club, I don''t care about the bank balance. So long as I am watching Norwich, I don''t care about the opposition.

Watching Norwich win the FA Cup would represent one of the best moments of my life, not too far off becoming a father.

Finishing 17th in the Premier League? That wouldn''t even make my top ten favourite Norwich City moments.

I''m astounded at how many fans think to the contrary. The modern game really has changed us a fans. Fortunately it hasn''t got everybody, not yet anyway.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That highly paid squad was not purchased to win the FA Cup though. Portsmouth built up huge debts to buy the type of player they needed to first stave of relegation and then become ''an established Premier League club''. Their  FA Cup win would probably not have happened without spending beyond their means but it was not the goal of their reckless financial model. It was a symptom of their overspending rather than the cause.

I''m with Nutty. Let''s stay up and win the FA Cup [Y]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That highly paid squad was not purchased to win the FA Cup though. Portsmouth built up huge debts to buy the type of player they needed to first stave of relegation and then become ''an established Premier League club''. Their  FA Cup win would probably not have happened without spending beyond their means but it was not the goal of their reckless financial model. It was a symptom of their overspending rather than the cause.

I''m with Nutty. Let''s stay up and win the FA Cup [Y]

[/quote]

Shack, that is quite right. Winning the FA Cup was a happy by-product of that over-spending rather than its main motivation.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Tricky one, an FA cup that I may never see in my lifetime, or staying in a league where we have no chance of breaking into the top six and our only real target is to avoid relegation. Given finances I would say the league right now, but ignoring finances I would say FA Cip.[/quote]^^ Pretty much agree fully. Good question though!

Stay up!  Even if the umbrella payments can help build a good team, I would prefer to do it from the relative advanatage of a position in the Premiership, and with the prospect of a further £40+M into the coffers. I hope that PL would be more likely to stay if we are in the Premiership, as well, and perhaps win the Cup in the near future.

It is such a lottery to bounce up from relegation - it''s pretty tight at the top of the Championship now, and I wouldn''t like to predict the lucky three to rise the Premiership

For me this season it has to be staying up. Despite the fact that we are doing very well for a new team, I personally feel that we still aren''t strong enough to cope with both the cup and the league together. When Stoke got promoted they stayed up, strengthened, and last season they reached the final. I want to look at it this way for us as well.

The trouble with football is that it is unpredictable.  You can''t predict when you will have a cup run. It may be this season, it may be in five years time.

You have to go with the flow.  If we win a couple of rounds - it will develop a momentum of its own.   I personally feel that a cup run would not affect our team because they have such a good attitude to their football.   This has been instilled in them by the manager - and if the success they have had in the last two and a half years hasn''t caused any back lashes or losses of form, I don''t think a cup run will cause any problems either.

Such is the way of things at Carrow Rd these days - long may it continue!!

It seems to me that most people on this thread are making a choice on what would be nice for themselves and not for the club.Yes we would all like to see the FA Cup paraded round the City but if it is at the expense of relegation then you would have to be out of your mind to vote for that as a preference. Have you forgotten so quickly how difficult it is to get back up once you are relegated? Think back to 1995 and the years of dismal performances and the struggle it took to get promotion only to lose it again by a single point. Then another long stretch of misery before the miracle worker arrived to drag us back up. We might not find a manager like that again so easily.Our Premier status was hard won and the club so nearly went out of business on the way. It would be an utter tragedy to throw that all away for the sake of one seasons cup glory. Think of the club not yourselves. I doubt I will ever see an FA Cup victory in what remains of my lifetime but if the club can establish itself as a permanent member of the elite then I am sure it will all come around in good time.

[quote user="ricardo"]Our premier status was hard won and the club so nearly went out of business on the way. It would be an utter tragedy to throw that all away for the sake of one seasons cup glory. Think of the club not yourselves. I doubt I will ever see an FA Cup victory in what remains of my lifetime but if the club can establish itself as a permanent member of the elite then I am sure it will all come around in good time.
[/quote]

Sorry Ricardo, have to disagree with the idea of being a permanent member of the elite.   There is no such thing as permanence in football.  The only way we could make reasonably sure we would stay in the prem would be to be financed by some beneficiary, and they don''t always stay around that long.

We can compete and stay in the prem but we need a nigh on perfect set up  - ie - superb manager, team, board etc - which actually is pretty good at the moment!.    It is unlikely we could sustain this indefinitely and while I hope we can become established in the prem, we will never be able to take it for granted and each season will be a battle.  

With the present manager we have a chance of achieving great things - I think we should achieve what we can, whether it is cup or league glory.    If one is at the expense of the other - then so be it.    If we did win the FA Cup, it stays with the club, the memory would stay with the supporters for ever.   If that was at the expense of the premiership?    We would live to fight another day.   Football moves on, it always does.  Being a football supporter is an emotional thing - lets not be afraid of winning something because we are afraid of losing something.  

PL is a positive manager - I hope - and trust he will be setting up the team to win tomorrow - and any successive cup matches, however many there may be!!

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Our premier status was hard won and the club so nearly went out of business on the way. It would be an utter tragedy to throw that all away for the sake of one seasons cup glory. Think of the club not yourselves. I doubt I will ever see an FA Cup victory in what remains of my lifetime but if the club can establish itself as a permanent member of the elite then I am sure it will all come around in good time.[/quote]

Sorry Ricardo, have to disagree with the idea of being a permanent member of the elite.   There is no such thing as permanence in football.  The only way we could make reasonably sure we would stay in the prem would be to be financed by some beneficiary, and they don''t always stay around that long.

We can compete and stay in the prem but we need a nigh on perfect set up  - ie - superb manager, team, board etc - which actually is pretty good at the moment!.    It is unlikely we could sustain this indefinitely and while I hope we can become established in the prem, we will never be able to take it for granted and each season will be a battle.  

With the present manager we have a chance of achieving great things - I think we should achieve what we can, whether it is cup or league glory.    If one is at the expense of the other - then so be it.    If we did win the FA Cup, it stays with the club, the memory would stay with the supporters for ever.   If that was at the expense of the premiership?    We would live to fight another day.   Football moves on, it always does.  Being a football supporter is an emotional thing - lets not be afraid of winning something because we are afraid of losing something.  

PL is a positive manager - I hope - and trust he will be setting up the team to win tomorrow - and any successive cup matches, however many there may be!!

[/quote]It could well be at the expense of the club not just the Premiership.I''ve twice seen our club almost go out of business in my lifetime and I don''t want to go there again. Remember that 1p5wich won the FA Cup many moons ago but their fans have to have long memories to share that experience. Their fan site is called TWTD, it stands for "Those Were The Days". Personally I''d rather support a club that is looking forward to a bright future rather than one wallowing in faded glory.By all means lets win the FA Cup but lets stay in the Premier League as well. Some clubs are going to the wall in this financial climate, we don''t want to be one of them do we.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Our premier status was hard won and the club so nearly went out of business on the way. It would be an utter tragedy to throw that all away for the sake of one seasons cup glory. Think of the club not yourselves. I doubt I will ever see an FA Cup victory in what remains of my lifetime but if the club can establish itself as a permanent member of the elite then I am sure it will all come around in good time.
[/quote]

[/quote]

It could well be at the expense of the club not just the Premiership.

I''ve twice seen our club almost go out of business in my lifetime and I don''t want to go there again. Remember that 1p5wich won the FA Cup many moons ago but their fans have to have long memories to share that experience. Their fan site is called TWTD, it stands for "Those Were The Days". Personally I''d rather support a club that is looking forward to a bright future rather than one wallowing in faded glory.

By all means lets win the FA Cup but lets stay in the Premier League as well. Some clubs are going to the wall in this financial climate, we don''t want to be one of them do we.
[/quote]

I agree with you, which is what makes this such a hard question - with some surprising responses.   I think that with this manager it would be possible to be successful at league and cup, he is a winner, lets hope we can do both and one doesn''t have to be at the expense of the other!

The thing that the people who are arguing the financial side of things to the PL is that the PL in itself is what has got clubs into so much debt and trouble. To many teams chasing the impossible dream.