Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

premier league survival or winning the fa cup?

Spot on jf. the premier league and sky tv will eventually destroy football. they won''t mind because they will walk away rich people. the whole Carlos tevez crap is a joke when u look at darlington fc.

When I first saw this question I assumed most people would have said premiership status, but not so!

The more I think about it the more FA Cup success - ie: winning it, the more I think that the reality of actually winning the cup would surpass anything this club has ever done, including promotions, league cups, europe in 93/94.      And lets not forget that winning the cup would mean a european place the next season too.   The FA Cup is still an icon in world football. The history, the near misses we have had in the past, the fact that this club has never won it (yet!).  1959,  1989, it strikes a chord with me that is hard to resist.  When push comes to shove - yes, the answer to the question  has to be - winning the FA Cup.   

PS - But it''s not something I''m wishing  for!  

LCD I thought the same when I put if up ( hence the tin hat bit) but clearly there are fans that still want the fairy tale. I am one and a 17th, 7th, 12th place finish does not.turn me on one.bit. seeing grant Holt dancing around Wembley with the lid of the cup on his head does!

[quote user="pete_norw"]

, [quote user="Trent Canary"]Tricky one, an FA cup that I may never see in my lifetime, or staying in a league where we have no chance of breaking into the top six and our only real target is to avoid relegation. Given finances I would say the league right now, but ignoring finances I would say FA Cip.[/quote]

Looking at it without sunglasses on, WIN FA CUP get religated lose top players stay in lower league for another few years no increase in seating,Or Prem league build on the team with prospects of top half even 6th finish euro football  the choice is yours , I know where I want to be, and its not playing the binners again

[/quote]If the options were FA Cup or Premiership survival for several seasons then its a no-brainer, you would take the Premiership route. However with these options we could just as easily stay up this season, lose Lambert, and go down the following season. I have a rather negative opinion of the Premiership as a whole; While we may stay up this season, the odds are that we will eventually get relegated, the chances of us becoming a Stoke or Fulham are very unlikely. And even if we did stay up on a regular basis, what is the best we could hope for? 10th? 8th? Nothing in there that will still be with me in 40 years time. As mentioned I would still take staying up, clear as much debt as possible, and invest for the future. But it is certainly not as straight a decision for me as it appears to be for others.Anyway, interesting debate! [:)]

Why is it either/or?

I think we can easily have a cup run (maybe not win it), and stay up. We only have 18 games left over 17 more weekends (up to and including the last weekend, obviously one or two are midweek games). Thats only just over 1 game a week, add another 5/6 FA Cup games to that, I don''t think its too much for us to handle. Lambert has a very fit squad, look at the work Hoolahan fits in, did he do that under Roeder? Would have have been fit enough to do that for 90 mins under Roeder? (Or at Blackpool?) thats just one example.

I know Brum messed up last season, they got unlucky. It doesn''t have to happen that way.

Also, I don''t even think relegation means lose all of our key players, I think one or two like Pilks and Morison might go. Hoolahan and Holt are too old for clubs to spend too much money on and other players like Fox, Tierney and R.Martin are either Lambert players or seem pretty dedicated to Norwich.

If it was a choice, I would chose staying up over winning the FA Cup. Because staying up does mean we can keep on building, without any interruption (which is what relegation would be, we may very well get straight back up, but a season in the Champ would be an interruption on the building process). The club as a whole will grow, financially, the stadium, the players etc. And in the (maybe even near, 2/3 years) future, I think we will easily be able to cope with getting to a cup final, and it won''t even need to be an either/or question.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Why is it either/or? [/quote]Because it is a hypothetical question. A guaranteed trophy and a trip to Europe, or greater potential for long-term success. Of course both is possible, and of course we all want that, but then it wouldnt be a particularly interesting thread.Funnily enough it is interesting how little anyone has mentioned the UEFA cup run that would come with an FA cup victory. Im assuming the UEFA cup means as little to everyone else as it does to me!

For what it''s worth - ignoring those naughty posters who plumped for both - I make the current score 15 for PL survival and 15 for winning the FA Cup.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]For what it''s worth - ignoring those naughty posters who plumped for both - I make the current score 15 for PL survival and 15 for winning the FA Cup.[/quote]

Well, the Carling Cup holders are currently on my TV playing their Premier League neighbours at home in a half-empty stadium and I dubt if I''m going to watch it much longer; so I know where my vote goes! As if there were ever really any doubt.

It would be nice though to reach say the 5th round for once in a blue moon having played a couple or so challenging ties.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]For what it''s worth - ignoring those naughty posters who plumped for both - I make the current score 15 for PL survival and 15 for winning the FA Cup.[/quote]

Well, the Carling Cup holders are currently on my TV playing their Premier League neighbours at home in a half-empty stadium and I dubt if I''m going to watch it much longer; so I know where my vote goes! As if there were ever really any doubt.

It would be nice though to reach say the 5th round for once in a blue moon having played a couple or so challenging ties.

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly, I''m sure your clarion call will prompt a landslide of votes that tips the balance decisvely on one side of the argument...[;)]

Every team in the bottom half will say premiership survival is more important and that is the number goal, priority of the season.

Winning the FA Cup is nowhere near where we are, if the question siad cup run then I would say that with a fully fit team then a little cup run would be nice.

However this season if we were to win today and were to play Wigan at home in the next round then I would rather we lost to Wigan in the cup and beat them in the league game.

The thing is we are not going to win that many Premier league games and each win should be cherished, unfortunately 3 points to me means more this season if we were to play a premiership team.

However today we play Burnley who will give us a great game, if it was at Turf Moor I would n''t be so positive, but we can play with a few changes and put in a good performance. Stoke are a final example last season, they have established that they will probably sit midtable each season, unless something dramatic happens. Hence they had a cup run with no worries of injuries causing a slump in league form which could lead to relegation or if you are looking for promotion could hinder your chances of promotion.

Afraid the dream of the cup has gone a little for me as the big boys pretty much swap the cup from their respective trophy cabinets, do I watch the FA Cup final, No. I just hate how our media lauds themselves over the biggest clubs as if they are gods.

A little cup run this year would be good, but it is a total distraction, after the QPR game, it is all thoughts to the Hawthorns where we can pick up another away win. Even today I am more interested in next weeks game. Who gets injured for WBA, how they are playing. But that is I am more excited about that game, we saw how they played at the start of the season, no real danger men at Carrow Road. Two forwards who have not really got going this year. So for me my thoughts and I hope Lambert got some of his key players to prepare more for the WBA team this and next week, by watching video analysis and alot of set plays to expose WBA. I think it has given us an extra week to be more prepared for that game.

[quote user="smooth"]

Afraid the dream of the cup has gone a little for me as the big boys pretty much swap the cup from their respective trophy cabinets, do I watch the FA Cup final, No. I just hate how our media lauds themselves over the biggest clubs as if they are gods.

[/quote]Surely the same applies to the Premiership?I do agree with your other points though, and other than the fact that Burnley are my boss''s team I am not really fussed about today. A bit hypocritical as if we somehow got to the Quarter finals I would take a massive interest, but given our awful record in Cups I generally don''t go out of my way for it.

QPR lost Faurlin today to apparently a serious injury after losing Jamie Mackie last year to a broken leg at the same stage. I don''t think they''ll be relishing a replay !!   They have real problems now after losing Taraabt and Traore to the African Nations Cup and the suspension of Barton.

[quote user="paul moy"]QPR lost Faurlin today to apparently a serious injury after losing Jamie Mackie last year to a broken leg at the same stage. I don''t think they''ll be relishing a replay !!   They have real problems now after losing Taraabt and Traore to the African Nations Cup and the suspension of Barton.[/quote]

The big problem is that they will now be bidding for every player going,which will raise prices to even stupider levels.Hopefully most players will be put off by Colin.

FA Cup for me. I think that given the size of our club, the loyalty and strength of our wonderful support and our prestige and character that we will naturally gravitate towards the top of the pile. Winning a straight competition against the best is very difficult, and the gulf will only widen. I can''t see us ever winning the league, and the realist in me can never see us qualifying for Europe in the league and the pessimist in me can never see us winning the FA Cup, as sad as that may be. We will however, one day be without Lambert and the players we have now, and I hope that we will find adequate replacements for them all; whether that is tomorrow, this summer, next year or in the un-seeable future.

Fantastic game today - you should have seen the look on my boys'' face, smiling for 90 minutes.

Mid-table finish in the Premier, last 16 in the cup, that''ll do me - call my greedy if you like, but on todays'' performance, it''s easily acheivable.

I wonder how many that said staying up would change their minds?

After our premiership rollercoaster even if we bounced back up I would take relegation again to be in this famous cup final. A club in our position should be looking at the cup competitions a little more seriously in my opinion.

Two years on, still the cup. You can''t tell your grandkids about how you were there that time we scraped 17th.

At that time staying up was the most important thing for our club, we''re in a much better place financially because we did. Wouldn''t change being debt free now for a cup win and relegation back then.

Winning the cup. We''ve not managed that in our history. The Milk Cup final was a fantastic day out. Europe was a great adventure. History suggests that Premier league football will return one year.

FA Cup. Great for the fans, great for confidence, gives the club more stature.

But sadly in the modern day, once a club reaches the PL the sporting aspect loses out to business. Sucess in measured in cash income not silverware

"But sadly in the modern day, once a club reaches the PL the sporting aspect loses out to business. Sucess in measured in cash income not silverware "

which is why I hate modern day football! I don''t give a toss about money. Its the buzz, atmosphere, day out, glory that makes me a supporter. Not the fact we have 65 million quid to our name.

Thought about it, I would say the fa cup for me, I think we will float about the top 2 leagues for as long ad I live but silverware is never forgotten even if the prize money is rubbish.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]"But sadly in the modern day, once a club reaches the PL the sporting aspect loses out to business. Sucess in measured in cash income not silverware "

which is why I hate modern day football! I don''t give a toss about money. Its the buzz, atmosphere, day out, glory that makes me a supporter. Not the fact we have 65 million quid to our name.[/quote] Well said I only wish you was on the board F.A cup for me.

It makes me laugh how many people are saying the FA cup..

Look at Birmingham, won the cup the year they got relegated and now they''re just rotting away in the Championship.

People seem to have fond memories of the Championship because of what happened under Lambert, if we come straight back up again.. great! who doesn''t love winning games?

But tell me how much you "love" the Championship if we''re still sitting in it in 5 years time, the PL will seem like a distant memory and we''ll all be talking of the days we were signing players for 8 million.

It could easily happen.

In 50 years time though, it''s all kind of irrelevant what league you were in. Nobody can take a cup win away from you. Sometime in the next decade, Birmingham will play Premier League football again, and we still won''t have a cup.