Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

premier league survival or winning the fa cup?

Which would you take if offered it right now? (Tin hat on) I would take the fa cup. Why? It''s great we are doing so well in the top flight but we are realistically in a league we can''t win. Of course I want us to stay up. But my two dreams are winning the fa cup and going on a European tour with city. Of course if we stay in the top flight the later could happen one day and winning the cup . But how good would it be to win the cup. Something we have never done in our history. A big day out at Wembley.

FA Cup and then automatic promotion back next season.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]It''s not even a close call for me. Stay up everytime. The FA Cup can wait a few years until we are a stable Premier League club.[/quote]

Me too, League before Silverware

Some of the messages on this board show exactly what is wrong with modern day football. I honestly can not believe that people would rather we finished 17th in the PL over winning the FA cup. Winning the FA cup would last in the history books forever and be my greatest day as being a Norwich fan and the greatest day in the clubs history. Finishing lower to mid table PL would be forgotten almost instantly.

Tricky one, an FA cup that I may never see in my lifetime, or staying in a league where we have no chance of breaking into the top six and our only real target is to avoid relegation. Given finances I would say the league right now, but ignoring finances I would say FA Cip.

This is proving interesting!!

It is still a dream to win the FA Cup - it still has great value - and a european place at stake.   

BUT !   Look at it logically, if we carry on as we are picking up points, by the time the fifth round comes along we might be safer anyway.  If things start getting tight then, sure priorities may come into play.

We are progressing as a club - its a natural progression to think about winning things!

So - why not BOTH - Safety AND winning the cup??

Prem league any day . Lets have a crack at the Fa cup when we''ve established ourselves .

Can''t believe this is difficult for people. Winning the greatest domestic cup competition in the world or finishing 17th in a league?

FA cup every day of the week, We''ve barely won any silverware in our history, winning the FA cup would be a huge achievement and be remembered a lot longer than staying up.

Would love to see an FA Cup win before I cash in my chips but the FA Cup doesn''t have the status it used to have. I''ve been to all our 3 semi finals and cried when we''ve been beaten but its not even a close contest with staying up this season. Its vital we stay up at least another season in order to get the financial situation sorted so I wouldn''t mind going out at the first hurdle one little bit.

[quote user="JF"]Some of the messages on this board show exactly what is wrong with modern day football. I honestly can not believe that people would rather we finished 17th in the PL over winning the FA cup. Winning the FA cup would last in the history books forever and be my greatest day as being a Norwich fan and the greatest day in the clubs history. Finishing lower to mid table PL would be forgotten almost instantly.[/quote]An FA Cup triumph would be fantastic, but the priority has to be to cement our place in the top-flight. This would lead to our current debt being wiped out, being able to afford even better players and would mean an FA Cup win more likely in coming years!

And with all that financial benefit what is it you would want to bring to the club?

Football is, and mostly always has been, ruled by money. That is why Celtic & Rangers rule in Scotland, Barca & Madrid in Spain and the likes of Liverpool, United, Chelsea have in England. With good management, youth system clubs can punch above their weight for limited times but they are swimming against the tide. Therefore if a chance of glory arose, I would take it.

Shareholders (businessmen) will want Premier League, players will want the wages, some fans will want to experience top flight football. All these people are interested in is the present, as a fan I stay with the club I want a past, present and a future.

Premier League status can be won or lost over a season, trophies (Roll of Honour anyway) remain. I have supported City for 30+ years, Wembley 1985 was one of the best days of my life, we got relegated that season and bounced back after, but nobody will ever take that day away.

if like me, winning the cup as we (manchester city) did in may was effectively the first thing you`ve seen your club win in your lifetime, (i was so young that when we won the league cup in the 70`s i don`t remember it). then the sheer raw emotion of actually winning it shouldn`t be underestimated. i had tears rolling down my face as we lifted it, a fantastic feeling, i was giddy for a whole day afterwards...

[quote user="Europe_93"]And with all that financial benefit what is it you would want to bring to the club? .[/quote]Financial stability so we dont end up like a Portsmouth or Plymouth.Take that out of the equation and its FA cup every time.

The FA Cup

I really can''t see the fascination with the "big league" except for the finance and where are our youngsters like Smith, Steer etc goimg to ft in this is what makes football enjoyable building not buying a team.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

The FA Cup

I really can''t see the fascination with the "big league" except for the finance and where are our youngsters like Smith, Steer etc goimg to ft in this is what makes football enjoyable building not buying a team.

[/quote]Ask PL or McNally what they would prefer and I think you will find that its not a day out at Wembley.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

The FA Cup

[/quote]Ask PL or McNally what they would prefer and I think you will find that its not a day out at Wembley.[/quote]If I asked McNally, he''d say we''re staying up anyway. So no offence, it''s a silly question at this point in time.

[quote user="Europe_93"] I have supported City for 30+ years, Wembley 1985 was one of the best days of my life, we got relegated that season and bounced back after, but nobody will ever take that day away.[/quote]

Me too - (getting towards 40 years now), and i agree with what you say, but unfortunately we have to live in the world of football circa 2012>A place in the top flight has to be the priority now. The FA Cup will be won by a team in the top 6 this year of that I am (almost) certain.

FA cup cause that will stay against your clubs name for ever and means more than just staying in the top flight!

But I''m not fussy, getting past the 4th round would be an achievement for our club given our recent record!

I can''t believe people would rather us win the Cup than finish safely in the league!  We all know what instant relegation did to us last time, and although Lambert MAY stay with us if we did go down there are no guarantees.  Staying in the Prem gives us the best chance of long term success.  Winning the FA Cup this season is short term success if we then get relegated.  Win the Cup after a few years in the Prem (similar to Stoke, albeit winning it!) and I''ll be delighted!

, [quote user="Trent Canary"]Tricky one, an FA cup that I may never see in my lifetime, or staying in a league where we have no chance of breaking into the top six and our only real target is to avoid relegation. Given finances I would say the league right now, but ignoring finances I would say FA Cip.
[/quote]

Looking at it without sunglasses on, WIN FA CUP get religated lose top players stay in lower league for another few years no increase in seating,Or Prem league build on the team with prospects of top half even 6th finish euro football  the choice is yours , I know where I want to be, and its not playing the binners again

I wonder what the players would choose? An FA cup winners medal and championship football next season or PL football next season with no cup winners medal. I honestly think they would choose the cup.

Cheers for the replies. The 1st one made me laugh ha. I''m obviously not alone then. I noticed grant Holt was asked the same question tonight on Twitter ( not by me, someone else) and he said staying up! But is that him being honest or is it because Lambert would want that so he has to go with the managers answer there!?