Sign in to follow this  
Helsinki canary

Jonson man of the match

An excellent performance by Matt Jonsson - finally we are starting to see what we paid for - he looks good - excellent pass to set up Jarvis for the goal. Some sloppy defending and awful refereeing lost us the game. There was a clear handball in the 2nd half just before the 1st Liverpool goal. Seems we are playing the opposition and referees at the moment.

PS Helveg looked good at rightback

Agree with all that Helsinki, and what ever is opposite to man-of-the-match I would give to Mulryne, he was completely absent most of the time he was on the pitch.

Agree that Mulryan struggled, seems to be lacking fitness, Brennan looked very composed when he came on his passing was pretty good and he got about well.  

[quote]Agree with all that Helsinki, and what ever is opposite to man-of-the-match I would give to Mulryne, he was completely absent most of the time he was on the pitch.[/quote]

Spot on. I completely forgot that Mulryne was on the pitch at one point.

[quote]An excellent performance by Matt Jonsson - finally we are starting to see what we paid for - he looks good - excellent pass to set up Jarvis for the goal. Some sloppy defending and awful refereeing lo...[/quote]

100% agreed. He was bloody awsome, I call him the ''rubber man'', because he keeps bounceing back!. 

it was class seeing terry butcher come back on after the head injury

that pass that opened up liverpool inside there full backs was class shame offside was called

he looked class when he went up front too maybe it might be worth giving him a few more games upfront

Well i thought he was crap today which is strange becuase i usually agree with most things written on here. He only began to show signs of being able to pass the ball(!!!!) when he was moved up front.The guy seems like a battler and someone who really wants to suceed, but all things considered i haven''t seen one thing to make me think he has what it takes to be a Premiership player.Also, Mulryne wasn''t great today but against Boro i thought he was our man of the match (despite what some newspapers said, i wonder whether they actually watched the game) his passing was good and he was constantly busy. I think he may be struggling when Francis is playing alongside him as his role changes.

I thought he was awesome today, gave blood for the cause and seems to get better every game.

[quote]Well i thought he was crap today which is strange becuase i usually agree with most things written on here. He only began to show signs of being able to pass the ball(!!!!) when he was moved up front...[/quote]

Big A what match were you at...or can he continue playing crap like that please

Thought both Jonson and Helveg showed a bit of quality today. Helveg should be in the team whether at right back or in midfield. Mulryne was totally out of his depth, not just light in the tackle but gave the ball away cheaply too often. Brennan was an improvement

I thought he was poor too. Every single attack broke down when it came to him, his first touch is awful. Although he is good in the air and he works extremely hard, but I think he''s lacking in quality.

Jonson played well again and deserves his plaudits - good passing and good defensive support when needed too.

Mullers is a liability so much so I would prefer Brennan in central midfield with Francis at the mo - and Jim is only a championship player. Helveg looked like we have finally found a defender in our squad and Damo showed his ability in the first half - more to come when back to full fitness.

Bentley was quiet but did OK and Doc continues to surprise me, but I am not convinced that this is anymore than a comparison to the woefully inadequate Fleming (was I alone in hoping that the Hyppia clash would mean Charlie back in the middle and Drury on the left??). Charlie had one of his worst games for us despite his ludicrous MOM award at the end of the game.

I cant recall Brennan having any impact while Crow looked lively, good touch, but lightweight up front and Jarvis took his half chance like a striker (god have we got one of those in our squad too!?)

I felt we looked best with the 4-2-3-1 but need a more solid defence and a better focal point (Sven looks like a multi million pound player compared to Leon)for it to work.

OTBC

just because he played most of the match with his head bandaged - Terry Butcheresque - don''t make him man of the match. yes he played ok and is improving but didn''t he miss a golden chance in the first half which wouldn''t have been so easily forgotten had it been Leon.

as for Flem - no surprises to see ZLF putting the boot in again (I think Eddy must have had something to do with both goals too even though he wasn''t on the pitch!) - he wasn''t the only defender making poor clearances. in the first half they all seemed to be competing for worst clearance. Only woeful finishing from Liverpool kept the score down.

I agree re mulryne. all those at charlton calling for Mullers to replace Holt might like to reconsider...

Jonson is a great little player. If he continues to improve and settle into the team, we have a chink of light in the tunnel.. our immediate future rests on players like him. The way he covered right back at Pompey and battled through the pain barrier to set up our goal against merseysides second team, was top drawer. Typical some people cant give credit where its due.

Nearly forgot, Mulrynes performance was no better or no worse than Holts displays this season. If i could have a midfielder in that role, at this moment in time it would be Joe Safri. Hes sharper than the pair of them put together.

Jonson was amazing at Pompey too, playing as a full back, I think he has finally got used to the pace and will be a real asset. Helveg has improved a lot too. Thought Bentley was quiet against the Pool, shame its not the FAC game he is going to miss though suspension. Would rather concentrate on the league.

As I said FTFW Charlie in particular had a nightmare and I have ''put the boot in'' accordingly - his clearances in the first half got no further than any efforts my daughter could have made. However unlike Flem or Eddy this is his first of the season rather than the umpteenth error for the tenth consecutive game.

I hope my comments are consistently balanced and indeed I recall praising Eddy for his game against Bolton (his best of the season by a mile); Flem started the season well but his recent performances are well below the standard needed.

I simply share my view on how we can progress up the table - if that means a differing view from some then so be it - thats what this forum is for.

OTBC

I''m going to get some backs up here, but can anyone tell me what Huckerby is bringing to the side at the moment?

One cross from the left wing all game is not good enough.

He runs into 2 or 3 players and loses it nearly every time.

He doesn''t provide any defensive cover either.

I say get him back up front  (contradiction to what I said at the start of the season) or put him on the bench for a few games.  He looks like he has got complacent to me.

As far as Jonssson and Helveg go, I told you so.   Although I don''t think Jonsson is the finished article yet, he does battle harder than anyone else at the moment.   It was so frustrating watching Bentley, Huckerby or Jonsson waste the final ball, or sit on it until tackled time after time.   Leon couldn''t do much else with those 3 playing like that.

Francis was not the great player some think either.  I think Mullers made more tackles than him and Francis was only really involved in about 2 decent attacks.

For us to start doing any better with that formation we need Bentley, Hux and Francis to have top notch games and all three were below par.   Then Mullers and Flem had average afternoons too.   There is no way Mullers was any worse than Holt though.