Sign in to follow this  
MrCanary

Good to see Sunday Times match review is fair and balanced - NOT!

WHAT

A SELF-OPINIONATED PILLOCK is Brian Glanville the sports writer for The

Sunday Times. In his article about our match with Arsenal, he

used every condescending adjective in the dictionary to lambast Norwich

City. He says w
e were outclassed and guess what, our defenders had the audacity to clear balls off the line! What does football expert Glanville think they are employed to do? Interestingly, in Glanville''s biography on Wikipedia, it

says, "Away from writing about football, Glanville is a life-long

supporter of Arsenal F.C."

[quote user="Mel"]

WHAT A SELF-OPINIONATED PILLOCK is Brian Glanville the sports writer for The Sunday Times. In his article about our match with Arsenal, he used every condescending adjective in the dictionary to lambast Norwich City. He says we were outclassed and guess what, our defenders had the audacity to clear balls off the line! What does football expert Glanville think they are employed to do?
Interestingly, in Glanville''s biography on Wikipedia, it says, "Away from writing about football, Glanville is a life-long supporter of Arsenal F.C."

[/quote]

Glanville is paid to be opinionated. And in his semi-autobiography he reveals quite a soft spot for Norwich City.

He may be a self opiniated pillock but he got it right when he said we were outclassed - lets be honest the score was far closer than it should have been and they could have had the game sown up in the first 15 mins - on the other hand we did not give their keeper or defence many worries at all and anyone who feels any different must have been watching a different game to me

Purple - I''m pleased to hear that, but it certainly does not come across in his article this morning which displays the same arrogance as many of their fans yesterday.

We were completely outplayed and outlcassed, why is it that many of our fans seem to think we are being hard done by the media?Fair enough if we were not being given credit if it were due but I could see very little of anything creditable from our performance yesterday, Arsenal were by far the better team and the media response to the game has reflected this.

[quote user="Mel"]Purple - I''m pleased to hear that, but it certainly does not come across in his article this morning which displays the same arrogance as many of their fans yesterday.
[/quote]

Mel, he got TB and spent some time convalescing in Mundesley around 1951, and saw a game or two at Carrow Road. I didn''t see the game yesterday and I haven''t seen the ST piece, which may be arrogant, but I have no objection to strong opinions, especially if you have covered football for several decades, as he has. I used to read Glanville a lot and found myself agreeing with him more often than not. And he did good work exposing corruption in football, particularly by Italian clubs.

Nothing wrong with that report. He got it spot on and anyone who thinks differently should dispense with the green and yellow glasses. Thank God it was only 2-1, it could have been much, much worse.Learn to live with the fact that in most games this season we will be up against better players. We have done as well as can be expected with what we have and we have a fair chance of survival but those dreaming of anything but a relegation scrap need to wake up and smell the coffeee.

Completely agree with Riccardo. Not sure how even the most loyal fan could disagree with the fact that Arsenal are a better side than us. If it wasn''t for their infamous ''walk it into the net'' tactic it could have been a pretty embarrassing result for us.

We gave the ball away far too cheaply, which is a shame because Russel Martin played his socks off and pulled out some great tackles. Tierny was a bit flummoxed by Walcott''s pace at times, but I''ll let him off because he has been superb otherwise this season.

Still, no better time to show us at our best than when QPR visit Carrow Road next weekend!

OTBC

[quote user="ricardo"]Nothing wrong with that report. He got it spot on and anyone who thinks differently should dispense with the green and yellow glasses. Thank God it was only 2-1, it could have been much, much worse.Learn to live with the fact that in most games this season we will be up against better players. We have done as well as can be expected with what we have and we have a fair chance of survival but those dreaming of anything but a relegation scrap need to wake up and smell the coffeee.[/quote]Spot on Ricardo.Brian Glanville is an excellent sports journalist who''s been writing top class reports for many years and he''s well respected throughout his profession. The fact that he''s an Arsenal fan is irrelevant and he''s been critical of the Gunners on many occasions.The headline " Norwich outclassed " couldn''t have summed up the match any better......

Have to agree with everyone about the game, have not read the write up but i am sure it preety much reflects the game. Arsenal far outplayed us, we showed some good battaling qualities but offered very little, if anything, upfront. The space between the midfield and Morrison was just to great yesterday. For me, i would not have started Wes, perhaps have played Jackson upfront for his pace against Mertesacker. Anyway game is in the pass now, we needed three points from our games with Arsenal, Villa and QPR, I am quietly confident we will beat QPR by a couple of goals next week.

I am pretty biased when it comes to all things Norwich but even I would have to say Arsenal more than had the measure of us on Saturday. Van Persie by his own admission missed 2 or 3 very presentable chances. Walcott was denied by a miraculous clearance from Russ. While Gervinho went through twice against Ruddy. They also hit the post for good measure. We deserve great credit for keeping them out and showing resilence but you can''t deny Arsenal dominated for long periods and deserved to win on balance of play.

However I can see the frustration of the OP. It is very disappointing that we were ultimately undone by a mistake which was easily preventable. If it had been a moment of individual brilliance, like Johnson''s goal against Chelsea it is a bit easier to take.

We get the International edition of the ST here, but I assume that the report is the same as the one published in the UK. If so, the report seemed fair enough to me. All through the game you just got the feeling that the Arse were just better equipped and more savvy than City . Not altogether surprising, as RVP  alone presumably cost more (and is paid more) than the whole City X1.

On a wider note, and one or two have alluded to this already, I''m getting rather worried about the number of silly goals we''re letting in. This league is tough enough as it is, without shooting ourselves in the foot at least once a game.  If we do it against the likes of Man C, Arse, L''pool etc , it''s not that much of a problem, as we''re unlikely to get much from these games anyway, but when we do it against the Villas, Blackburns, Wigans of this world, it could well be disastrous in the end. However we still haven''t really been taken to the cleaners by anyone, which is a positive thing.

Reporters are not paid to be biased where did you pick up that ridiculous notion.

Most football reporters, TV pundits, judges on Strictly & X-Factor etc are paid to give their own opinion, be as controversial as possible and stimulate discussion. 

They are not necessarily paid to give a 100% accurate blow by blow account of what actually happened because that''s normally pretty boring.