Sign in to follow this  
Lambert is King

1 upfront

I have not seen many threads recently that dont get a mention of we must return to 442 as we score more goals this way and we need to be positive and win. The facts dont actually match this. Our results starting 1 upfront have been

Boloton 1 Nor 2 Nor 2 Sunderland 1 Man U 2 Nor 0 Norw 3 Swansea 1 Liverpool 1 Nor 1 Nor 3 Blackburn 3 Nor 1 Arsenal 2

Won 3 Drawn 2 lost 2 - scored 12

Starting with 2 upfront

Wigan 1 Nor 1 Nor 1 Stoke 1 Nor 0 MK Dons 4 Chelsea 3 Nor 1 Nor 0 WBA 1 Villa 3 Nor 2

Won 0 Drawn 2 lost 4 - scored 5

I appreciate against Liverpool we switched to 2 up front and got a point and the Blackburn game we threw forwards on like they were going out of fashion but why do people want to start with a system that has had little success to date.

I think it''s because we don''t feel like we have done the best we can withh 442 yet. In the early games of the season we didn''t have the balance right in the team when we used 442.

The front two looked isolated against stoke and West Brom.

Also when we''ve gone to 442 with Holt coming on, generally we''ve been more of a threat.

If we start a match with 442 and start positively I feel we can get the initiative more easily, especially at home. Otherwise we are sending out a message to teams that come to CR that we are being more defensive minded.

I don''t really think it matters if its 451 or 442. The players in either system have to adapt - if it''s 451 the onus is on the midfield to support the lone striker. If it''s 442 the strikers have to have some responsibility in tracking back and helping midfield.

What I think it proves is that the players are still learning what it takes to do well in the premiership, and whatever system is played everyone has to be totally comitted to whichever format is chosen.

I think alot of of us would like to see us have a good crack at afew teams. All teams are difficult to play, but at some stage we have to be more positive in our approach from the kick off and not 30 minutes from the end of the match when we might already be chasing the game.

If Holt was on for 90 minutes alongside Morison and they both helped/take it in turns to drop back into midfield when necessary 442 could work very well.

I have a strong image in my mind from the Stoke game where the two strikers - Holt and Martin were standing around on the centre line when Stoke were attacking relentlessly to get an equaliser. In the premiership I don''t think ewe can afford that luxury.

The lesson against Arsenal was the way Arsenal defended as a team once they were ahead - very impressive.

We could learn from that.