Sign in to follow this  
Chelmsford Canary

Tactics for QPR

Diamond. Holt Morrison up top. Wes behind. Same back 5 . Fox infront of the back 4 . Johnson left to deal with wright Phillips. Pilks right. Push them high up the pitch like last season. High tempo game and go for it. Wes will be back at his best, Morrison more support ect.

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]What are peoples thoughts?

Go back to the diamond? It worked last year?

Bring in Jackson?

De Laet for Martin?[/quote]De Laet for Martin, surely a typo? Martin has been outstanding (one error saturday, and there was still a brilliant finish to score), I would prefer De Laet for Barnett.

Agree Canaries Utd... Martin stopped 3 goals being scored and made some superb saves. I felt really sorry for his mistake after having such a fantastic game. So no he should not be dropped.

Yeah I think the defence can be shaked up, but I wonder if Lambert wants to see a reaction from our centre halves, the chances are when whitbread, ward or ayala are fit they may come in, so too much chopping and changing now could be detrimental.

Midfield I think Hoolahan, for me has to prove his first team place. So maybe the diamond with Pilky, Johnson and Fox. But I would prefer a midfield of Benno, Fox, Johnson, Pilky and then Morison and Jackson upfront.

Although Holt could be well up for this game.

Again we have choices, probably however not as many as we would think. Think a number of our squad players are that (again being harsh because of our dramatic rise).

So I think there is scope to play a front line of two forwards, but I could easily see us return to the 4-5-1. If so hoolahan has to be a threat in the final third. If not then, he needs to be dropped.

Wes for me is only really affective in the diamond so we should go with that or he is dropped and go with whatever. I like it how spurs set up. We have two good wingers like spurs do and Wes in the modric position , Johnson/ parker. Obviously spurs are a lot better and more solid but would it not be great if Wes could fit into a 442 ? We have only really tried it against villa so it could be tried again. But Qpr set up in a 451 so we might match them. It seems this season we are more worried about what the opposition is going to do than what we are or is it respect for them? I understand that against teams pilgrims arsenal but against them around us surely we should make teams think about us a bit more. Esp at home.

De Laet for Naughton, diamond formation with Jackson up front with Morison, Wes in the hole, Fox & Johnson holding midfield with Pilkington helping whichever full back is up against SWP, who will destroy us like Agbonlahor and Walcott if given the chance. Johnson has to stop Faurlin playing (their best player so far this season according to QPR fans).

Teams who''ve had success against QPR so far have played a big man with a pacy little un up front - Ferdinand and Gabbidon are very slow to turn, and their full backs are weak. They are very strong in midfield so we have to press them up the field especially our full backs who have been poor in recent games.

Fair points. If we do change anything in defence I think it should be naughton that makes way. After watching the arsenal and villa games back he looks very weak in the tackle at the minute and his positioning is very poor. Our centre backs done well I thought considering the amount of balls being swung in. At the minute sometimes the extra midfielder is doing naughtons job. Watch arsenal back the amount of times Johnson or crofts has to help naughton out who is struggling.

I think it''s difficult to single out players. Naughton needs more support - Bennet has usually been very good at tracking back, but wasn''t there to start with on Sat.

You could look at any player on Saturday and say they could have done better.

They were against a very good side who have largely sorted out their defensive issues and very strong in attack.

The confidence will return with a good result (hopefully on saturday) as they are still a good unit but have been under pressure from very good teams in recent weeks. One good result could give them the boost they need.

The one thing I would like to see tactically is to see is 442. Holt in for Bennet. It worked at Wigan and works when he comes on as sub. The goal at wigan - morison cross, the second goa lat villa Holt cross. So they can both operate wide and give space for midfielders to move in (Pilks and Hoolahans goals early in the season).

I don''t go along with the people that say we haven''t had the results yet at 442. The evidence is there that it can work. Given time I believe it should and will work.

ruddy

naughton        martin        barnett       tierney

fox

crofts                                    pilks

wes

jackson                  holt

[quote user="HoltsRightFoot"]Miggins there is no johnson in that formation. I would like to see a 442 with wes included, i am sure lambert will get it correct[/quote]

no there''s not.

i think your right in saying he is one of our best player, and if we were playing 2 in the middle then he would be in the team.

the reason why i havn''t put him in is because i think we should play the diamond  as we are at home and is a must win game (or at least one of the most important games).    Fox played at the base last year and crofts played on the right and knows the role well. Not only has johnson not played this role (yet i''m sure could do a job there) I believe he is a left footed player and would therefore would have to cut inside which he has not got the pace to do that.

I''ve picked holt and Jackson as they know each other and really think they could score a few goals as they both have a point to prove together to keep morison out of the team.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

ruddy

naughton        martin        barnett       tierney

fox

crofts                                    pilks

wes

jackson                  holt

[/quote]

I am really curious as to why you would drop Morison to play Holt ? or Jackson ? 

Could a 4-1-3-2 work?

So like this:

Naughton Barnett Martin Tierny

Johnson

Hoolahan Fox. Pilkington

Jackson. Morison

So technically as 4-1-1-2-2, as fox if needs be could sit in front of Johnson.

Only debateable bit is playing hooalahan wide right but he can always cut inside, i can see us sticking to 4-5-1 though.

so you playing one centre midfielder infront of another?

the reason why i chose holt and jackson instead of jackson is because I feel they will be more effective

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

the reason why i chose holt and jackson instead of jackson is because I feel they will be more effective

[/quote]

Yes I agree 100 % how dare Morison only score 3 in 3 needs to be punished for not at least scoring 2 goals a game. Are there any other fans that had a striker scoring like this that would be calling him ineffective and suggesting he should be dropped ?  

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]We have to win so: Ruddy Naughton R Martin Barnett Tierney Johnson Fox Bennett Pilkington Hoolahan Morison[/quote]

I know Lambert often delivers a surprise but I would be surprised if he does not return to this starting 11. We started with this team for 6 consequtive games and won 3 drew 2 and lost 1 ( Man U ). The last 2 games we changed things and lost both.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Fair points. If we do change anything in defence I think it should be naughton that makes way. After watching the arsenal and villa games back he looks very weak in the tackle at the minute and his positioning is very poor. Our centre backs done well I thought considering the amount of balls being swung in. At the minute sometimes the extra midfielder is doing naughtons job. Watch arsenal back the amount of times Johnson or crofts has to help naughton out who is struggling.[/quote]

Then I read this that Naughton has disappointed in the last two matches. That''s against Agbonlahor (what £20m - £30m?) and £10m Gervinho. Shock Horror. Never saw that coming. How dare he?? He''s a kid on loan from Tottenham. he should be able to cope with any and everything.

One thing that bothers me is that however the team is structured, whatever formation and lineup, we seem to play better when Fox is on the pitch. Even when he does not overly appear to do much, whatever he does improves the team. I was surprised that he was taken off at half time but most posters also feel we played much better in the first half than the second. It might be a coincidence but if so, I am starting to believe in coincidences.

My thoughts are go for same formation as Bolton (4-5-1), or go for the tried and tested that worked so well over last 2 years.

If diamond i''d go Morison & Jackson, with Wes, Hool, Pilks & Johnson in the middle

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]My thoughts are go for same formation as Bolton (4-5-1), or go for the tried and tested that worked so well over last 2 years.

If diamond i''d go Morison & Jackson, with Wes, Hool, Pilks & Johnson in the middle[/quote]Wes and Hool in midfield?

Cambridge canary . it was not a dig at naughton I was purely saying if things needed a bit of a freshen up in defence then naughton should make way . Martins mistake aside I felt him and barney done well. if we went on about he had a poor game against more expensive players " shock horror" every week and not change anything then we would have the same 11 all season. I personally like naughton and think he has had some good games for us and I''m sure if he plays v Qpr then he will do well. I did say I would stay with the same back 5.

No one of the back 4 is responsible for the goals conceded,  but likewise no one player is holding it together either.   All 4 have found themselves lacking the discipline to defend well, including Martin despite his excellent goal line clearances on Sat.

I dont think there will be defensive change from PL this weekend and he will give them another chance - personally I would start with de laet & Barnett,  on the basis that cb is there core position,  barnett as the better pace and de laet also played well despite his high profile lapses (repeated by all other defenders since).

I would stick to the 4-2-3-1, BJ & Fox,  Bennett & Pilkington and perhaps try surman as a sub for wes once wes starts to tire in the second half.   Morison  up front

I''d personally go back to the diamond for this game.

Ruddy

Naughton

Barnett

Martin

Tierney

Fox

Crofts

Johnson

Hoolahan

Morison

Holt

I think the sooner Whitbread, Ward and Ayala get fit the better. Although Martin is doing a good job covering at center half i personally think its obvious hes a full back covering in that position. When crosses are coming into the box usually the centre half nearest to the cross looks to " close the gate " stop the ball from going down the alleyway between defenders and goalkeeper, in my oppinion Martin has been caught out of position to many times allowing balls to be put in this area and sometimes resulting in goals. When the play has been higher up the pitch his covering has been fantastic but this is to be expected as he is a full back and covering accross the line is something you are taught from a very young age.

Im a massive Martin fan but dont feel this position is anywhere near his strongest.

[quote user="Lambert is King"][quote user="mrs miggins"]

[/quote]

Yes I agree 100 % how dare Morison only score 3 in 3 needs to be punished for not at least scoring 2 goals a game. Are there any other fans that had a striker scoring like this that would be calling him ineffective and suggesting he should be dropped ?  

[/quote]

firstly, chill out.

secondly, the reason why i think they will be more effective is because my suggestion is the diamond and (like with crofts) i think we need a good partnership that has been known to work - jackson and holt. That''s NOT saying morison is cr@p ok, i just think they will be more effective than what your suggesting with two centre midfielders playing infront of one another (because thats not stupid).