Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Thoughts on De Laet?

I think his confidence has taken a big knock. Also I thought it was a pity he was the the player staying in a defence position for set pieces, he has good head on him & a eye for goal and still a very quick player.

It may have taken a knock, I thought overall he played reasonably well, I don''t know how much his back injury effected his performance. But he should have been pleased with his performance.

But he added height in the right back position (which has been targetted when naughton plays). I think actually he should go forward for set pieces, I didn''t notice that from watching on the telly.

He gave away a few free kicks in dangerous areas but overall his game was tidy.

A very welcome addition and one that in the first month was playing very well. Sure he will be a valuable asset and performing highly again. His confidence should not be low and hope he can really contest to getting a starting place.

I thought he was pretty awful yesterday, to be honest. Caught out of position on a number of occasions and gave away two unnecessary free-kicks on the edge of the box.

He looked like someone who a) had been out for a while and b) was playing out of position.

I think he''s a very talented player, and I was pleased to see him back. But it was a rocky return to the side.

We should all remember, his most familiar position is Right Full Back. Despite the fact he started in a central role for us earlier in the season, for all of his other teams he has spent most of his time here.

[quote user="zak123"]We should all remember, his most familiar position is Right Full Back. Despite the fact he started in a central role for us earlier in the season, for all of his other teams he has spent most of his time here.[/quote]

This is correct. Particularly at Portsmouth where Greg Halford played at centre back with De Laet on the right. Slightly odd though, given that De Laet is a left footer.

If he''s got a confidence issue, then either Lambert did something wrong when dropping him, or he just hasn''t got a great mentality.

You hope, when a player gets dropped for whatever reason, when they next get a chance they will put in a great performance with maximum effort. Doesn''t quite sound like De Laet quite did that yesterday (unfortunately I couldn''t afford to get back to Norwich two weekends in a row...). Maybe he''ll go on and improve next game, but will that be next weekend?

I''m a big fan of De Laet but Lambert was correct taking him out of the side and centre back where his mistakes were hurting us.

Very few young defenders actually play at centre back, often being introduced as full backs where they develop into centre backs as they learn and develop.

I thought he did well yesterday, perhaps gave away a couple of soft free kicks but 2 dangerous players in Wright-Phillips & Traore were handled well.

We''ve been badly exposed down our flanks recently, so with another threat like Wright-Phillips against us, Lambert rightly moved to sure us up. De Laet has good pace and is more defensively minded so I think it was a good move. We have got to make ourselves harder to score against so he''ll be needed in that role as the season goes on.

Actually think he has played better at centre half than at full back, but it was only one game.

Felt his pace, positioning was exceptional in the first few games.

Mistake against Wigan was his own, Chelsea wasn''t a mistake really (just trying to get the ball quickly in the dieing seconds of the game) and against wba it was a bad error.

As I have said you have to ammend for your mistakes, I think he could easily be back at centre half. Certainly even with those mistakes I felt, liek a few others, he was still our best player on the pitch.

As I have said he will be involved this season, its just very hard to pick a back four you would say is our best if all were fit.

I thought he was full of running and worked hard, he had a good game. The only criticism I''d have is that he sometimes dwells on the ball for a little too long!

Probably not Man Utd quality but could well be a very handy player for Norwich City to have in the long term.

I agree that he could be a pretty useful addition in the long term for us.

Anyone have any idea when his contract''s up at Utd? If its not long wonder if this could be a loan to perm deal maybe even Jan..

Would of given us an opportunity to look at him in more detail in the prem rather than the champ at pompey and then make the deal permanent