Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

Number of points needed for safety?

Forget the we will stay up anyway debate as obviously I think we will.It made me wonder about the actual points tally needed after I caught a City fan phone into the football debate on Radio 5 Saturday evening. He basically said we need 40 points to stay up.  Now I''m not so sure, though I think we may end up with say 43 44 points. IMO 36 points should be enough as 40 has easily been plenty apart from a couple of seasons.

I''ve always targetted 20 points by half way.

We''ve got some really tough home games coming up along with Man City (A). The best chances of points look like Wolves (A) and Fulham (H) we need 4 points from the next 6 to be in the relegation dogfight.

Somewhere in this next 6 games we need a marquee win to boost us along with another win. We need to beat a Newcastle or a Spurs at home or an Everton away.

I think PL is keeping his powder dry with returning defenders and by giving fringe players games, it came off for him on Saturday.

December looks like the key month as the second half of the season will be more difficult.

I don''t think we have been playing at our best yet, we normally improve as the season develops, yet we have been bobbing around tenth place for some time now.

I can''t see us getting a lot worse suddenly and we have definitely played some top sides already, there are quite a few sides who would grab the chance to swap with us.

Think happy thoughts!

Rudolph, personally it is as many points as we can get by xmas. I personally want to see us in the mid 20''s ideally about 24 points.

We need the bottom three to become isolated, psychologically the pressure then will be on them. Lambert is superb at distancing himself from the debate and hence our team. He is keeping us under the radar.

We need as mnay points as we can, we know we have a tough run in so the more points we have early the better and as long as we consistently pick up points the better.

Points for safety, no idea. I am thinking 40 and hence 24+ at half way the better we sit. The more points and more teams below us in the table makes for good reading. Lets keep that up, we need bolton, blackburn, wigan, sunderland to keep on sliding as they are. Keep above the swans and then we are looking good.

So far so good and its nice to see other teams in trouble for our sake, psychologically they are being shaken which is great so hopefully we can just pull away and leave a good gap between us and the bottom 3.

Too early to start thinking about points at the end of the season. We must simply get as many points as we can as we are going along.

We need to stop the mini relegation leaguers from detracting from staying in the present!

As CotT says - one game at a time.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I''ve always targetted 20 points by half way.

We''ve got some really tough home games coming up along with Man City (A). The best chances of points look like Wolves (A) and Fulham (H) we need 4 points from the next 6 to be in the relegation dogfight.

Somewhere in this next 6 games we need a marquee win to boost us along with another win. We need to beat a Newcastle or a Spurs at home or an Everton away.

I think PL is keeping his powder dry with returning defenders and by giving fringe players games, it came off for him on Saturday.

December looks like the key month as the second half of the season will be more difficult.[/quote]

I posted that back in September that Decembe ris the key month. January we may have some new faces, but 6 games in 28 days is going to be tough for our relatively small squad - the best present we could get is no more injuries (and a couple of wins in Dec).

[quote user="lake district canary"]Too early to start thinking about points at the end of the season. We must simply get as many points as we can as we are going along. We need to stop the mini relegation leaguers from detracting from staying in the present! As CotT says - one game at a time.[/quote]

It''s a fair point LDC. The second half of the season is where the pressure really begins to mont, as people like Hull, Blackpool and Burnley have found to their cost in recent years.

There''s a lot of talk of a small relegation mini league being "cut adrift", but let''s not forget that clubs like Blackburn , Wigan, Wolves, Fulham etc have plenty of experience of these sort of dogfights, and seem able to conjure wins when the chips are down.

That said, I reckon 44 pts would be ample to stay up.  there seem to be a lot of draws involving lower table clubs this season, and, all that means is that 1 pt in every 3 is going begging.

I dont think there is anything to suggest that we dont need a 40 point total to be safe - 44 would see us comfortable.

Just need to keep chipping away at them

This is a very interesting topic. The most points that a club got relegated with was 43[ West Ham] the least ever needed to stay up was 32 so the range can be very high. The more successful clubs there are then by and large the fewer points needed to stay up. At the moment there are about 6 really successful clubs gaining lots of points and if that continues then the target for survival would be at the lowere end of the scale. We are a third of the way into the season so enough games to make predictions. Looking at the 2 or 3 clubs above the line at the moment their averages if continued would put them in the range 32 to 35 points. 38 is normally enough but i could see it being as low as 32 to 34 almost half way there if that is the case