Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

Mark Clattenburg

For the first few minutes he was more bothered about how he looked than the game, adjusting his shorts and socks to make him look his best!

It was a relatively easy game, with one fully justified caution. What I like about Clattenberg is the way he talks to the players about thing several times he pulls them aside for a chat rather than instantly whipping out the yellow card. Several easy to read gestures gave clues as to why he had awarded certain free kicks. Quick on the whistle and mainly correct with the decisions (most of them anyhow!) Allowed a couple of play ons and when they didn''t materialise brough play back for a free kick - excellant.

This may be controversial but I think he''s a damned good ref. He looks at ease and appears to have the respect of the players. Best this season bya country mile

Colin agreed with you - and that''s despite losing so you must be right.

I have just had an argument on twitter with a Manure supporting friend who was whinging about the penalty awarded against them today and saying the ref was shocking.  Tried to argue it only just starts to make up for the dodgy decisions they have benefitted from over the years, but he wouldn''t listen.  I also suggested that when Manure had as many dodgy penalties awarded against them as us this season, then come back and talk to us about poor refs.  Perhaps Fergie''s influence is waning?

Clattenberg ,quite simply is a posturing,self-aware,over fussy tw*t. I''d say only around 40% of the "fouls" he gave today warranted stropping the match, on another day this could have proved costly with many of these being awarded to QPR around the 18 yard box.........about the most finicky refereeing performance we''re likely to see this season.

Wazzy are you a qualified Ref ? If so in your opinion the tackles by Naughton and Johnson both in the second half that were given as free kicks, was that your interpritation. Just thought both were very firm but very fair tackles?

If there are other "qualified" refs on here I would be interested in your opinion.

As a foot note I did qualify as a referee about 18 years ago.

i have to agree with OP to be honest. I''m normally pretty harsh on refs but I thought Clattenburg had a decent game today. I agree with the others he was over-fussy at points and a lot of them went QPRs way but nothing seriously contentious and nothing major.

The Great Drinkell, I respect your opinion as you are far more qualified to judge than I, but imo the Johnson tackle was a free kick. I watched the game on stream and when he gave it initially I was fuming but watching it on replay I have to concede Johnson went flying in, from behind/the side - yeah he got the ball but he did really lunge in, I dont know if you were at the game or watching on t''internet but I think if you have another look on replay you will probably give Clattenburg the benefit of the doubt - one of the sad casualties of modern football where meaty challenges aren''t allowed... 20 years ago it isn''t a free kick, in 2011 it was.

what was already a poor game was made worse with Clattenberg stop starting the game every couple of minutes. 2nd half was a lot better, as though someone had told him at half time to lighten up and let the game flow! But still some very poor decisions (Johnson and Naughton tackles and the handball against Hoolahan which was right in front of me, but more importantly Clattenberg wouldnt be able to see as Wessi had his back to him - he just seemed to guess)

It''s funny how different people see it! I thought his positioning was a bit odd on a couple of occasions and that his decisions got weirder as the game went on. At one point towards the end of the first half he wasn''t even watching the play. Agree that there was a degree of self-admiration going on there, with the gelled hair and all that :-)

Didn''t think he stopped started the game too much in the first half. I thought it was just a terrible half of football where nobody really looked half decent at all!

Didn''t think the ref had a terrible game to be fair.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

Wazzy are you a qualified Ref ? If so in your opinion the tackles by Naughton and Johnson both in the second half that were given as free kicks, was that your interpritation. Just thought both were very firm but very fair tackles?

If there are other "qualified" refs on here I would be interested in your opinion.

As a foot note I did qualify as a referee about 18 years ago.

[/quote]

I had over 20 years in the middle as a class one and a level 5 (when the classifications changed).

As kick it off has put above, I thought the Johnson incident he did appear to dive in possibly studs first - which could be interpreted as dangerous. I had no problem with Ref''s penalising players who may have touched the ball first and then going on to clatter the player, in these cases it''s almost as if the ball is incidental. The initial intent may be to get the ball, but there is usually intent to hammer the opponent too.

Clattenburg, like all of the Refs is not perfect, he missed a few things in my opinion (as they all do) but I felt his overall control of the game was very good, and he didn''t wave the cards around like some do for trivial offences

The Ref only gave the handball against Hoolahan when Colin and his assistant started giving it large from the technical area, no wonder he thought the Ref had a good game.

Normally agree with you Waz but not this time. Thought he was one of the worst by a long mile.Not because of some big decision he made, in fact its probably the fact he had no big decision to make yet still was dreadful. Everytime two players competed in a 50/50...the free kick had to go one way or the other. Very happy to blow his whistle and i thought contributed to making the game a little bit slower and edgier with a free-kick every 30 seconds.

Kick it off thanks for your views I was at the game and have only seen the incident in real time, it just seemed to me that both Naughton and Johnson got the ball as you say "the old fashioned way" I used to play with a player who only knew how to challenge like this good job he chose a different career path!

Clattenburg is a trifle self obsessed, as his remarkable hair transformation will testify. The assessor gave him "top marks" and all in all he did OK. There is always a chance that refs think themselves above NCFC v QPR but I thought he kept control. One yellow tells us something.

Interested though why Morison didnt go down in the first half? Sean W-P certainly would have.

It would have been very easy for him to have given a penalty in the 1st half when Wright-Phillips looked to have been brought down by Ruddy.

Looked a pen from where I was sitting & we were all astonished (and relieved) that it wasn''t given and Ruddy didn''t get sent off. I think the fact that the QPR players weren''t all up with play and appealing and that it wasn''t at the other end and in front of their fans helped.

Watched it on Canary Player''s extended highlights and you see them given more often than not-and Dale Gordon reckoned it was "nailed on", indeed, he reacted the second W-P went down.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]It would have been very easy for him to have given a penalty in the 1st half when Wright-Phillips looked to have been brought down by Ruddy. Looked a pen from where I was sitting & we were all astonished (and relieved) that it wasn''t given and Ruddy didn''t get sent off. I think the fact that the QPR players weren''t all up with play and appealing and that it wasn''t at the other end and in front of their fans helped. Watched it on Canary Player''s extended highlights and you see them given more often than not-and Dale Gordon reckoned it was "nailed on", indeed, he reacted the second W-P went down.[/quote]

I don''t recall our Fox TV people at the time (including Efan Ekoku as comments man) or the English press making much of an issue of it at the time.

So can we put this one down on the other side of that ledger in that old evening up process, or not? 

OTBC