Sign in to follow this  
ncfcstar

RIP Gary Speed

We just very recently had a whole day (more like a week) purely for remembering dead soldiers. As far as respect for causes of death goes, dying in battle gets more attention than literally any other cause. Stop trying to shoehorn in something that has no place in this thread.A far greater number of people suffer and die as a result of mental illness than have died in our current pointless invasions, but you don''t see people barging into discussions about fallen soldiers saying "oh why won''t someone think of all the schizophrenics!", because it is would be entirely innappropriate, just like it is innapproriate to be doing the reverse.

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]This is exactly why I said, ''opinions on suicide can evoke both ends of  a debate''.

I''ve heard people refer to suicides as ''brave'' and given utmost sympathy.  On the other, they''ve been called the most selfish ******** going.

But please don''t start flippin'' name calling again because somebody has an opposite opinion.
[/quote]

But why is there a need for a debate or an opinion here? A man hanged himself because something in his life was so bad that he no longer wanted to live. Why can people not acknowledge the tragedy in those set of circumstances? Why is there a need to bring dead soldiers in Afghanistan into it? Why do you need to share your opinion about how sickening it is that 20,000 people applauded his life? What drives people to click on a thread entitled ''RIP Gary Speed'' and read the posts of others expressing their sympathy before deciding to take a great big crap on it?

If you want to grieve for a dead soldier in Afghanistan there are plenty of places you can leave your tributes on the internet. If you want to have a ill informed debate about how selfish/brave suicide is then there are plenty of internet forums where you can do this. Why do it here? It''s pathetic.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]This is exactly why I said, ''opinions on suicide can evoke both ends of  a debate''.I''ve heard people refer to suicides as ''brave'' and given utmost sympathy.  On the other, they''ve been called the most selfish ******** going.But please don''t start flippin'' name calling again because somebody has an opposite opinion.[/quote]

But why is there a need for a debate or an opinion here? A man hanged himself because something in his life was so bad that he no longer wanted to live. Why can people not acknowledge the tragedy in those set of circumstances? Why is there a need to bring dead soldiers in Afghanistan into it? Why do you need to share your opinion about how sickening it is that 20,000 people applauded his life? What drives people to click on a thread entitled ''RIP Gary Speed'' and read the posts of others expressing their sympathy before deciding to take a great big crap on it?

If you want to grieve for a dead soldier in Afghanistan there are plenty of places you can leave your tributes on the internet. If you want to have a ill informed debate about how selfish/brave suicide is then there are plenty of internet forums where you can do this. Why do it here? It''s pathetic.

[/quote]Ignore it then, instead of calling them a silly name.

I want to apologise for my comments on this post.

As someone who has seen friends heavily affected by this situation I posted on a forum, which as stated was all about celebrating Gary Speed, and while I disagree with the celebration, this was no place and no time to comment.

I honestly misjudged what this man meant to some people, and if I caused any anger or offence, I further apologise.

I am also sorry that the armed forces were brought into the discussion, but this was not by me; I just mistakenly continued the analogy.

RIP Gary Speed; I hope you are at peace.

You''re a disgrace Canton. Let people show empathy it shows they''re human

its one of "those'' that''s so much of a shock its slightly hard to come to terms with, regardless if you knew the man or not.

its too easy for me to say suicide is selfish, despite it being my general opinion there is no way of knowing what this bloke was going through. Such a shame as he seemed in good spirits on football focus and was doing so well with wales too.

strange to think that for many people he was living the perfect life which many would envy, but the opposite appears to have been true.

[quote user="BW"]You''re a disgrace Canton. Let people show empathy it shows they''re human[/quote]No he/she isn''t, quite the opposite in my opinion. It takes a big person to come back and apologise so sincerely. At the end of the day most if not all of those people posting on this thread did not know Gary Speed in any personal capacity whatsoever, we are all just voyeurs on the outside looking in, creating for ourselves a common bond through one of several common themes, to some Speedo has attracted empathy because he was a top footballler and a true football fan will acknowledge this fact whatever clubs colours are worn by the player, others have posted condolences because they''re Welsh, have a soft spot for such and such, there are numerous reasons we create these links but I guess the most overbearing reason people have posted is because if for no other reason they were at one with Gary Speed by virtue of simply being human and this is undeniably a human tragedy. Cantons Heros post which upset some on here showed above all else that he/she is certainly human and thoughtful, arguably although here is not the place to argue more human than many amongst us because CH feels for the anonymous squaddie with whom there can have been no other link than the "being human" one.

I never meant for this thread to turn into a debate. I originally commented about a soldier that sadly lost his life the same day . It''s obvious other people have different.views about things, it was my way of relating to death. I''m too sorry if I was the cause of starting something that has upset people. I''m still completely shocked about Gary speed and I hope he is resting and in a good place right now.

This is a terribly sad story and if it possible for any positives to come out of it, then I hope that it raises awareness of such a psychiatric disorder such as depression. I think lot''s of us are shocked at how this guy seemed so at ease and had a life that most of us would love, yet obviously something was clearly not right, he didn''t seem to show the standard symptoms of depression. It is difficult to comprehend really, quite an eye opener. He seemed like a decent bloke with very few enemies, a real shame and a real shock.

hang on a second?......anyone that signs up for the military -which incidently is of their own choice, (its not conscription anymore?!?) - does so fully knowing what the job entails and what the possible consequences might be. Yes it''s sad when anyone loses their life in combat however, that unfortunately is the name of the game.

Whilst it''s to early too speculate what Speed must have been going through......a human being must be in the darkest of places to plan and carry out what he did....particularly ,as it appears, under the same roof as his family.?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

hang on a second?......anyone that attempts suicide -which incidently is of their own choice, (its not conscription anymore?!?) - does so fully knowing what the deed entails and what the possible consequences might be. Yes it''s sad when anyone loses their life by suicide however, that unfortunately is the name of the game.

[/quote]

This is a thread acknowledging the sad end to the life of a great footballer and by all accounts a great guy on a personal level. Those who''ve said things which have been taken the wrong way by the moral minority have apologised.Nobody wants a debate full stop.

I don''t want to upset anyone or anything but Unconfirmed reports are saying a particular tabloid was going to leak stories with proof, about Gary Speed being gay.. hence the suicide

This may be a load of crap though!!

Now these are just rumours and are all over Facebook.and Twitter at the minute , a Leeds fan mate of mine made me aware. A lot of people on here are assuming he had depression. One of our own in Justin fashanu done the same. If its true its very sad that our media, our newspapers are the ones that have driven him to do this .

RIP Gary Speed

I have been left distraught by the death of a man I admired as a footballer and a manager, I don''t think role model is too over the top to be honest

It''s typical of certain members of this message board who would prefer a debate about the armed forces/suicide rather than remembering a great talent. It doesn''t show us in a good light really does it?

I hope the good work that Gary Speed did can be carried on and Wales qualify for Brazil 2014

It''s not the time or the place to be gossiping, we are not the daily mail.

To be honest, I''d rather this thread was closed by Pete now.  I posted this genuinely shocked with the news that someone who seemed to have it all had passed away.  At the time it was not known that he had taken his own life.  As someone who takes pride in my Welsh heritage I was also shocked because of the success he was beginning to bring to the national team.As soon as this thread got hijacked by the usual armed forces bandwagon it was going to go the wrong way, this thread should be to remember/honour a guy who gave enjoyment to a lot of people, instead it''s turned into a platform for people to debate the deaths of soldiers which to be frank I''m getting bored of now.  Any death is compared to the lives our armed forces give, and it''s quite honestly pathetic.

Depression is very much misunderstood. No-one but Gary will know what he was going through. Not even his wife. As for suicide, it is often the only viable option felt left to rid yourself of the pain and feelings of worthlessness that sufferers are going through. Someone suffering from depression is incapable of even considering the feelings of their husband/wife etc.RIP Gary