Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Who has been the best player to come out of Norwich City's youth setup?

I would say Chris Sutton as he was a great striker and was brilliant for us and we ended up getting about £5 Mil for him which back then was a huge amount of money.

I guess Sutton or Bellamy in modern times. Purple makes a great shout with Monty Norman. A local boy as well. But one who has been invaluable to the club is Dave Stringer. I know he was an Arsenal schoolboy but I think he was with us at seventeen. I''m waffling now[:$] Never saw Maurice Norman (Purple must''ve gone to school with my dad!) so for me Bellamy shades it.

Craig Bellamy

Just had so much pace, ability and confidence. I seem to remember that there were equally high hopes for Chris Llewellyn though they never really came to fruition.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I guess Sutton or Bellamy in modern times. Purple makes a great shout with Monty Norman. A local boy as well. But one who has been invaluable to the club is Dave Stringer. I know he was an Arsenal schoolboy but I think he was with us at seventeen. I''m waffling now[:$] Never saw Maurice Norman (Purple must''ve gone to school with my dad!) so for me Bellamy shades it.

[/quote]

Never stopped you in the past, nutty...[:D][:P][:D]

Actually I never saw Maurice Norman either, but I did once play cricket at Mulbarton. Three other names are Dale Gordon, Ruel Fox and Darren Eadie. The first time I saw Keith O''Neill I thought we had uncovered a real world-beater. Shows what I know.

[quote user="ryan1992"]

Adrian Coote or Louis Blois anyone??? [;)]

[/quote]

Coote was good for the reserves[:|]

Bellamy or Eadie for me,and probably Chris Martin coming in 3rd.

Justin Fashanu may not have been the very best of them, but was certainly handy.

Ditto Mendham, Barham, Gossy.

But can''t do better than Stringer, as player, coach and manager. A great club servant.

Bellamy.

Although Monty Norman is a really good shout, Purple.

Saw him for Spurs and England a few times in the early ''60s. Made his (rather delayed) debut for England in the 1962 World Cup Finals in Chile. Made his debut against Peru in a 4-0 win immediately prior to that World Cup with another debutant - Bobby Moore (the best English player I have ever seen without doubt. The man had a buit-in radar system!). But can you imagine going into the first match in a World Cup finals with a central defensive partership with only one cap each - and then they played together in all 4 matches eventually going out to Brazil in the quarters 1-3.

OTBC

OTBC

how on earth has no one said Neon Dion?England Caps, league championship winners medal, 2 league cups, SCottish cup and Scottish premier division champions medal.the best by a long shot.

Dion''s another good call Jas.

Incredible to think after we let him go he signed for Kings Lynn. When he was at Cambridge his goals took them through the leagues, so nearly to the Prem! Then he signed for Man Utd for 1m. Following his exploits used to haunt me. For me he was, without doubt, the ultimate "one who got away"!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]how on earth has no one said Neon Dion?

England Caps, league championship winners medal, 2 league cups, SCottish cup and Scottish premier division champions medal.

the best by a long shot.

[/quote]

No. By your type of criteria he is certainly behind Monty Norman.

And, quite frankly, Dion found his own way in the game  by pulling himself up by his own bootstraps after being dumped by City - rather than coming ''out of Norwich City''s youth setup''.

OTBC

There you go Jas. The answer''s no! Pete asked for opinions but you can''t have one.

But at least yours was original and certainly has merit.

Dion came out of our youth set up. Dave Stringer rejected him and he went on to have a very successful career at the top of the English game. It irked me at the time and it still does. I''m a huge Stringer fan and mentioned him on this thread. But I believe rejecting Dion was a huge mistake. True Stringer had Sutton coming through at around the same time but surely two great centreforwards are better than one.

John Fasanu was another we let go ridiculously cheaply. £15,000 to Lincoln if I remember correctly. That was strange to me too. Could understand maybe if they were goalkeepers because only one plays. But around that time we had serious form in letting potentially good forwards go for a song.

Now i am sure most will not believe what i am going to post but David Beckham(yes The David Beckham) had a weeks trial with Norwich City in 1987 as an 11 year old.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="ryan1992"]

[/quote]

[/quote]............martin coming in third what? not in top twenty. sutton, green both performed at high level, martin is scraping along in the championship, eadie would have played for england but for his injury.

Chris Sutton has to be up there - remember, his £5m move to Blackburn was a domestic record at the time. That''s the equivalent to Torres £50m move this year.How he only got 1 England cap, while someone like Emile Heskey can get over 60, is beyond me. That fact says more about the England managers of the time, than it does about Sutton''s quality as a striker. (Although the fact that he spent arguably his best years playing in Scotland didn''t help).

[quote user="star_manic"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="ryan1992"]

[/quote]

[/quote]............martin coming in third what? not in top twenty. sutton, green both performed at high level, martin is scraping along in the championship, eadie would have played for england but for his injury.[/quote]

Personal opinion.I have named players that i have seen in the flesh and enjoyed their football.I wasn''t living here when Sutton was playing otherwise he would be up there.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

There you go Jas. The answer''s no! Pete asked for opinions but you can''t have one.

But at least yours was original and certainly has merit.

Dion came out of our youth set up. Dave Stringer rejected him and he went on to have a very successful career at the top of the English game. It irked me at the time and it still does. I''m a huge Stringer fan and mentioned him on this thread. But I believe rejecting Dion was a huge mistake. True Stringer had Sutton coming through at around the same time but surely two great centreforwards are better than one.

John Fasanu was another we let go ridiculously cheaply. £15,000 to Lincoln if I remember correctly. That was strange to me too. Could understand maybe if they were goalkeepers because only one plays. But around that time we had serious form in letting potentially good forwards go for a song.

[/quote]

Are you implying that Dion''s 2 league cups, 1 Scottish cup and 1 Scottish premier division champions medal together with 1 English First division title and 4 caps for England in non-competitive internationalsadd up to anything approaching Monty Norman''s achievements? Let alone an asssertion that dion is ''the best by a long shot.''

Apart from playing in all 4 of England''s matches in the 1962 World Cup Finals in Chile amongst his 23 England caps,  he was an integral part and defensive lynchpin of Bill Nicholson''s legendary Double-winning Tottenham team of 1960–61 that went on to retain the FA Cup in 1962, and win the 1963European  Cup Winners'' Cup. He also played every one of his 357 career matches after leaving for Spurs in the top tier of English football.

Monty also happened to be a son of the Norfolk soil as opposed to Dion who is (presumably) a proud midlander. Odder and odder then that you  that you should champion Dion......in this particular case.

I believe that Pete asked for opinions and by extension a discussion of those opinions. It was jas who made the dogmatic assertion captured in red above. Not I.

And , of course, there are valid opinions and invalid opinions. And if someone wishes to hold on to an invalid opinion in the face of comrehensive evidence to the contrary, then of gourse one is entitled to, but.........................one would have to examine motive (or, of course, head)

OTBC

P.S. Some interesting background below on Monty Norman for some of you youngsters..........

http://www.norfolkheritage.org.uk/mulbarton/default.asp?subname=mulbarton&id=32

For me it''s Jerry Goss, here for years, some great goals, including that long forgotten goal at Munich and capped at international level.Great personality and massive loads of charity work