Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

we stand when we want.......

See attached link for unrelated sung humour at football matches - there''s a place for humour everywhere! Lighten up everyone!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCXHbCYvzjI

My observation (for what it''s worth having been in the Barclay for last 20 odd years)... There''s an increasing number who sit in the Barlcay who seem to be there for the atmopshere but who either can''t be bothered or lack the energy to contribute to it.  I''ve made the point several times in the past about the speed at which songs are sung nowadays (and the limited repetoire compared to those that used to be sung) and believe this doesn''t help but hey ho, guess that''s how things are now.  Before people get on their high horses, this isn''t an email saying one type of fan is better than another or that others don''t have the right to be in the Barclay but it''s obvious the make up of the Barclay is significantly changing.  One team (can''t think who) mocked us by referring to the Barclay as the family enclosure and it''s getting increasingly hard to argue, especially as the stand, like other stands) is now essentially a closed shop to ''new blood''.  Again, just an observation not an attack.

Hogesar - best post of the year!!!

I have been in hysterics reading some of the wet lettuce replies on here..... I think some would like to see it mandatory to drink tea from a flask and share boiled sweets with your area

SNAKEPIT TAKE NOTICE - flasks and mints expected versus Newcastle and you dare sing about standing up then there will be a wet lettuce protest ;-)

Do snakepitters book a romantic table for two at a restaurant and before the starter arrives ask the waiter to remove the chairs? (just wondering!).

During the game on Saturday I reflected on the value of our two season tickets and quickly created my own lyrics;

"I’ve paid for my seat,

I’ve paid for my seat,

I just wanna sit down; I’ve paid for my seat"…

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

I have to say that on the last few times I''ve been ...I sit right by there in the City stand... it has seemed to me that too many Snakepitters have spent more time baiting the stewards, hurling abuse at the Barclay, and singing self indulgent ditties about "standing" than actually supporting the 11 men in yellow and gren on the pitch.

Get behind the team, lads, and leave to other schoolboy stuff to another time/place.

[/quote]

The last few times you''ve been? Saturday was the first time that "We''ll stand if we want" has been sung in the snakepit so may I suggest that it was your first game?

Please enlighten me to the abuse that was hurled towards the Barclay? Apart from a few songs trying to get them to respond (none of which even had an abusive word in them) I can''t remember any abuse.

Was your hearing aid playing up on Saturday so you missed several choruses of On the ball City, Keep the green flag flying high, Paul Lamberts Green and Yellow Army etc. or have you conveniently forgot they were sung so you can have a go at them nasty noisy people in the corner.

[/quote]

Harry, I''ve made it clear that I don''t attend every game.....work committments here in France see to that, but I have attended three this season. On each occasion there have been sections of the SP that seem to be hell-bent on having a run in with the stewards . Maybe this was the first outing for "stand if we want", but it seems to be a running theme . As I''ve already said, the SP''ers sometimes make a good atmosphere with OTBC etc, but at times they seem to be more obsessed with not putting their backsides on plastic seats than what is actually going on on the field of play . Merely an observation. Equally if I''ve got the "banter" between you and the Barclay wrong, I apologise.

[quote user="ur just a man in a jacket"]Hogesar - best post of the year!!!

I have been in hysterics reading some of the wet lettuce replies on here..... I think some would like to see it mandatory to drink tea from a flask and share boiled sweets with your area

SNAKEPIT TAKE NOTICE - flasks and mints expected versus Newcastle and you dare sing about standing up then there will be a wet lettuce protest ;-)[/quote]

I will point out now that I don''t sit in the snakepit, I sit upper Barclay. Just find it laughable that people can moan about what''s being sung. If its racist chants at Anton Ferdinand then fair enough, if its a bit of a laugh with the stewards then get over yourself and actually enjoy the match and if you want you could even join in with the songs!

I think that''s part of the problem HRF one end of the Barclay are singing and the Snakepit are singing but there is a big gap in between where people aren''t singing which makes it harder to hear each other and unite the songs.

Before anyone spits out their dummy that isn''t a criticism of those that aren''t singing or saying that those that are singing are better fans. (What makes you think I know the Pink Un well)

I think too many people are throwing there toys out, its clear the sp are out singing the barclay, not also forgetting the barclay also stand for a majority of the game.

It''s clear the corner helps the noise and I for one applaud people actually trying to make Carrie rd a noisy, place for away teams to come.

Sick of people moaning if the sp wants to stand let um.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="ur just a man in a jacket"]Hogesar - best post of the year!!!

SNAKEPIT TAKE NOTICE - flasks and mints expected versus Newcastle and you dare sing about standing up then there will be a wet lettuce protest ;-)[/quote]

I will point out now that I don''t sit in the snakepit, I sit upper Barclay. Just find it laughable that people can moan about what''s being sung. If its racist chants at Anton Ferdinand then fair enough, if its a bit of a laugh with the stewards then get over yourself and actually enjoy the match and if you want you could even join in with the songs![/quote]

Well said...... This is the pink un all over

[quote user="CANARY CHARGE"]I think too many people are throwing there toys out, its clear the sp are out singing the barclay, not also forgetting the barclay also stand for a majority of the game.

It''s clear the corner helps the noise and I for one applaud people actually trying to make Carrie rd a noisy, place for away teams to come.

Sick of people moaning if the sp wants to stand let um.[/quote]

And yes carrow rd.

Away matches are always great because everybody stands up anyway - like the good/bad old days. The atomosphere is always more lively when you stand up. Also if you didn''t want to be with the noisier crowd in the old days you could easily walk to a quieter section of the stand.

|All seater stadiums have changed football quite alot. I know the city stand has always had seats but the point remains.

But it doesn''t matter where you are in the stadium - make as much noise as you can!! If the Snakepit is helping encourage that more power to them.

youre right on the gap in atmosphere in the barclay. and another poster had it right, too many families and that in a block,b etc. Not slagging families but they shouldnt be in barclay as they contribute nothing.

Got to agree with both Harry and forte, there is such a gap and the middle blocks do bugger all to join in etc.

I change my mind and as long as the snakepit are singing then they can sing what they want personally.

Lets see if we can get the middle blocks singing for saturday :p

How does singing about the stewards, constantly challenging the authorities in that corner and even goading them help with the atmosphere?

It just makes the Barclay think here we go again! It’s about the Snake Pit not about the team. Yes the Snake Pit when on song and about the team do generate good songs but in recent times it’s become about “Look at us the Snake Pit”.

The Barclay aim songs at the away supporters, the team and not at the stewards or the snake pit!

Let’s take it even further recently thanks to some in the Barclay and Snake Pit there were people chucked out the ground, how positive an atmosphere does that generated, real in fighting when the team needed us!

I think the efforts of the Snake Pit need to be realigned to the pitch and stop bleating on about the atmosphere all the bloody time, it’s the best it’s been for a long time!

You want to Rock all day I suggest you go to a concert!

She tutted and scourned as she put the tartan picnic blanket over her knee.  "Just look at those ruffians over there standing and shouting", she said while shaking her head.  "Can you pass me another Werthers please Ernest?".  She sat there quietly for another 20 minutes with her arms folded, until, 1 minute before half time she stood up!  Alas, only to beat the rush for the toilets.  She''s not getting any younger you see and her bladder isn''t what it was.......

Agreed, Indy. The atmosphere at CR is usually excellent. In fact, the only time that it''s not is when the SP get on one of their hobby horses about standing/stewards and things momentarily turn nasty and vindictive.

I guess it''s more obvious to those of us who sit at that end of the City Stand or in the Barclay . I don''t suppose those in the N+P or the far corner of the Jarrold could give a tuppenny toss about it.  Like the rest of us they go to CR to be more concened with events on the pitch than political side-issues......

[quote user="HoltsRightFoot"]Got to agree with both Harry and forte, there is such a gap and the middle blocks do bugger all to join in etc. I change my mind and as long as the snakepit are singing then they can sing what they want personally. Lets see if we can get the middle blocks singing for saturday :p[/quote]

Slightly disagree with this. I sit/stand in Block B on the very edge of C and although we are standing for most of the time (all the way through the QPR game!), the singers/standers tend to peter out about 10 seats to my right which makes most of Block B and A not contributing to the ambience of the Lower Barclay - nothing against that but the reason I''ve located myself in the Barclay for the past 47 years is that I go there for the atmosphere as much as anything else - and don''t think that families don''t contribute as when I''ve bought my daughters in the past they are louder than me!!!

I think a lot of people are missing the whole point as to WHY this song was

sung in the first place.

Whether you like it or not the Snakepit is a very vocal part of the ground. I

sit in the Thorpe Wing just to the side of the Snakepit and I love the

atmosphere. I sit down for far more of the match than I stand.

Now, whilst I am getting on a bit, I certainly haven''t reached the tartan rug

stage of my life, and it really winds me up to have stewards CONSTANTLY (to the

point that its grating) asking fans in the Snake pit corner to sit down

when

1. they are not spoiling the view for anyone

2. they are not being a danger to anyone

3. they are not being a danger to themselves

4. they are not treating all fans equally

My main gripe is that the area, being a fairly small part of the ground, has

been targeted for this action, when other, larger, and hence more difficult to

manage, areas such as the Barclay E, and especially the away fans, are

not.

This is undoubtedly causing bad relations between the stewards and the fans

in the Snakepit.

It seems to me that there is a startling lack of common sense being applied.

The resulting antagonism between fans and stewards is more likely to cause an

incident than anything else as heat of the moment exchanges escalate.

I had quite a discussion on Saturday with a steward trying to point out the

disparity between the way they were treating the Snakepit versus the away fans.

The response is that ''that (the away fans) is not my area'' and simply to trot

out the ''government ground regulations'' mantra is simply not good enough. If

''the regulations'' were applied equally EVERYWHERE then there is more of an

argument, and I am sure whilst people may not like it, they would be more likely

to comply as they could see the rules being applied equally and fairly to all,

but when 2 - 3,000 away fans are left to their own devices, the inequality leads

to more antagonism not less.

Another argument said to me was that someone could be hurt. Oh well deary me

- please let’s start letting people take responsibility for themselves. If you

are acting in a way to be a danger to others (note - standing in front of your

allocated seat does not constitute a danger) then out you should go. I for one

would have no issue with ''ground regulations'' stating that if I cause myself an

injury then I could not sue the club, and if I am causing a real and present

danger to others that I can be asked to leave or be ejected from the

ground.

Where there was once dialogue between the club and fans on such issues, there

no longer seems any. There is only one point of view that counts – and it isn’t

the fans.

I expect the fans in the Snakepit and adjoining area to be receiving another

letter from the club very soon – which is likely to solicit the exact same

response.

The whole situation is just both unnecessary and in my opinion pointless –

and that my friends, is why the song was sung.

[quote user="NMTD"]

I think a lot of people are missing the whole point as to WHY this song was sung in the first place.

[/quote]

We really don''t need any patronising "you are missing the point" stuff here NMTD.

We are all fully aware of "the point". I go to football matches to be entertained and to see my team play well and, hopefully, win. Whether I do that sat down or stood up is completely immaterial to me . I realise that others take a different view, and see their trips to CR as an opportunity to vent their wrath on those responsible for denying them their "rights".

As has been stated earlier in the thread, the stewards are merely acting on instructions given to them by the club, who, in turn are upholding their responsibilities in enforcing the law. Consistently baiting and having a go at the stewards is as illogical as berating the shelf stacker at Tesco''s if you don''t like the choice or prices of cornflakes, bread, beer, apples etc in the store.

So, if you have an issue with standing at football grounds, there is a time and a place to raise it. And that is not with the stewards during the match. Instead raise it with the Club officials, football authorities, and the government, via your MP.

The snakepit wont be standing when they want if the Authorities close that part of the ground due to persistant standing will they?just sit for 20 seconds then stand up again. everyone else does.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]The snakepit wont be standing when they want if the Authorities close that part of the ground due to persistant standing will they?just sit for 20 seconds then stand up again. everyone else does.[/quote]

Are you some sort of tiiit? how on earth are they going to regulate closing the section down! ive heard some cr4p on here before but you have just taken the biscuit! The snake pit are doing nothing more than block E,D of barclay are doing every game.... open your eyes and appreciate the atmosphere the snake pit is generating!

He is right, Block D and E stand all the time where I am, myself including, we get told to sit down then we do then when they bugger off we are up standing again singing.

I stand up nearly the whole match without being told to sit down, Saturday was the most I have ever been told to sit down.

[quote user="HoltsRightFoot"]He is right, Block D and E stand all the time where I am, myself including, we get told to sit down then we do then when they bugger off we are up standing again singing.

I stand up nearly the whole match without being told to sit down, Saturday was the most I have ever been told to sit down.[/quote]And if you actually look in the snake pit the same thing is happening... the front few seats are up and down and the back stands! no different to the Barclay, the fact stands the snake pit contributes to the bigger picture "standing if they want" People should get a grip and enjoy carrow rd becoming a tough place to come and win at! It hasnt always been like this!!

Block E & D don''t need to have the same recognition about them as the self centred Snake Pit. It''s like the Snake Pit is our Jordan, they need to be noticed by everyone!

It is a shame as in general when together SP & Barclay generate a great noise and atmosphere.

[quote user="HoltsRightFoot"]I particularly enjoy what goes on in the Snakepit if I am honest.

Would be good to have the SP and Barclay sing together as at one time I heard two songs going and then we change our song I believe, don''t know if anyone else noticed that.[/quote]

Like every were in the ground there are people that act like tits, Snake pit has its fair share..... but the reality is its fast becoming the only noisey place in the ground! Like it or not its here to stay and the only change will be when we build a bigger stand!