Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Nicky Maynard

As an exile living near Watford, I took the opportunity to do a quick scouting mission last night at the Watford v Bristol City gane. Firstly, it is amazing how quickly you get used to the speed and skill of the Premier League - even acknowledging that these two clubs are at the bottom end of the Championship, the quality was decidedly questionable.

Nicky Maynard was largely anonymous to be honest. He was tucked up all night by Nyron Nosworthy who was Watford''s MOM and apart from one quite sharp turn and shot which Loach saved, he looked uninterested. What did strike me was his resmblance to Simeon Jackson both in looks/stature and his playing style. Not as quick though. Personally I wouldn''t think he would add anything to our squad that we don''t already have and I can''t see him holding down a starting slot in our team.

Whilst there I took a close look at some others though:-

Albert Adomah - quite sharp but a bit raw and again not as quick as the wide men we already have, Good shot on him and perhaps one to keep an eye on.

Neil Kilkenny - Ran the show in the second half for Bristol. Classy on the ball, though he did disappear for long periods. A potential understudy for Wes but not quite as clever on the ball.

Michael Kightly - played wide for Watford. Good on the ball, powerful but lost his way once he got within sight of goal. Surprisingly erratic.

The game was not too bad overall, and memorable for a howler from Loach which gifted City their equaliser, though the backpass he missed was a bit sharp. Worth a look on the BBC website though - very Bryan Gunn against 1p5wich.

To be fair to one or two of them, the surroundings/level etc might not have inspired them to give their 100% very best effort for all 90 minutes, but in a Paul Lambert managed team, well....................

Maynard is out of contract at the end of the season, so Bristol City have to sell him during the next transfer window or lose him for nothing at the end of the season.I believe that he has already put his house up for sale and he will probably sign for a Premiership club during the transfer window. He won''t want to get injured in the next few weeks.I have seem him play several times. He is a very, very good finisher. He is quick thinking and strikes the ball early giving goalkeepers very little chance.He would be a superb partner for Mozzer and Holt. He would add an extra dimension because he is good straight through the middle, whereas Mozzer & Holt are good from crosses.He would know Dean Ashton (who now lives back in the Norwich area) very well from all their years together at Crewe.Some goals here:http://youtu.be/xEinb0mDinE

Maybe Everton are finally looking to replace James Vaughan? If so, they can use the cash we rather generously gave them for the same damaged goods earlier this season!...

Good pace, certainly quicker than Holt, and Morison? How will he fare against quicker Premiership defenders?

Good positioning, good conversion of chances, although those on the film clips were mostly 3 years old. Is he still banging them like that?

Shows courage, and is not afraid to get hurt.

Do we need him? I think that he would be a marginal improvement on Jackson. If we could get him reasoonably in January, say £1 m, or even £1.5m, could be worth a punt.

There could be a lot of interest in the bargain of this to be out of contract player. This could push ther price beyond the level we would want to pay.

[quote user="Ben "]Have we actually been linked in the papers with Maynard or are people just suggesting we go for him?[/quote]

Ben its that time of year again when every player is leaving and we are after them

[quote user="Ben "]Have we actually been linked in the papers with Maynard or are people just suggesting we go for him?[/quote]We were linked with him in the summer before we signed James Vaughan (who is a similar type of player but was probably cheaper).