Sign in to follow this  

I know some of you may disagree but i think he was poor yesterday, his positional play for aguero and nasris goal was poor.

A goalkeeper should command the penalty box for that corner but it seemed like he just watched it.

He also went down to the floor and the ball spilled out of his hands.

I am sure that i am not alone when i say whenever a ball comes into the penalty box its almost a certain the opposition is going to score.

Rant Over.

Bring on the toon :)

Controversial point this and although I hate to say it - I agree.

I appreciate we were playing against some of the best footballers in the world and any goalkeeper was going to have a tough time but he just doesn''t deal with the simple things very well. He has made some decent stops this year (Liverpool away) but unfortunately with the position he plays every mistake (which there have been a few already) get magnified and at this level often gets punished.

I''m not sure if it is a lack of concentration or just a gap in ability but for me Lambert needs to bring an experienced head in to give us a chance of staying up.

Sorry John, you did us proud last year but the pressure of the Prem looks to much for you.

It seems to be the simple things the keeper and defence are making.

Especially ruddy, for agueros goal to me he was positioned wrong.

Toures goal there was massive amounts of space just outside the box.

Freekick keeper or defence should have dominated it.

Same with johnsons goal tbh bad positioning.

Would you give Rudd a go?  In the few games he''s played, he''s never let us down and we will never really know how good he is until he''s given a run in the team.

Yeah drop Ruddy straight away, Declan Rudd is the man for the job with out doubt...........

Got to be time for another Fraser Forster post soon surely.

For goodness sake get behind the boys.

1st Goal;  pilkington unlucky or poor in cutting out the ball to richards and then basically a goal mouth scramble where we had 5-7?!? players around Aguero yet no one closed him down and he poked it through unchallenged. Crofts in particular looked like he could have stepped forward to close the space.  Ruddy?  perhaps slightly out of position but the clkose to goal with some many players around the player its a team issue.  but it was a superb strikers finish.

2nd goal. Bog standard free kick,  tireney has it covered but for some unfathomable reason choses to leave it last minute - moving his head aside.  This clearly left Ruddy wrong footed and unprepared for the ball going that way.  As a result his wrists were not strong enough to stop the ball going through them.  He could have come for the cross - but if a defender is dealing with it its hard to argue with the call to leave it to them...

3rd goal - we got sucked in far too deep;  we had 5-6 players deeper than the 18 yard line - and none of the midfielders on the edge;  had they kept a proper shape (or martin/barnett pushed the back 4 out 5 yards) that space would not have existed for Yaya who is far too talented a player to be given that much room.   Wes did see the danger and tried to get back but it was too late - and he too should have seen the danger earlier.  But a superb finish.

4th goal - I do agree that the back 4 looked tired for this one - the midfield lost their runner AGAIN and barnett and martin then both ball watched and let balotelli have too much space making it an easy goal for him,  martion had him in his sight but did not go to him. 

5th goal - Wessi - what were you doing?  De Laet was dropped for less!! Just put it out.   However citeh still had lots to do to score;  wit Tierney again hopelessly out of position and failing to work back to cover his wide last man, Surman to his credit had done just that but it was too late.  A superb finish.

So for me the team defended poorly and once again we contributed to our own downfall. Criticising just Ruddy seems harsh to me,  he made one bloomer,  but didnt they all???  

Yet there was some good defending & keeping across the piece and it did take some outstanding finishing to kill the game.   We will not face this onslaught of quality again,   however our mistakes are ones we have repeatedly made against lesser opposition too - that has to change.

As someone else pointed on here the trouble is there is really no competition at present in the defence areas, Ruddy will be in goal for the next match even though he had a very poor match since Rudd just doesnt have enough experience and is gaining none sitting on bench! Should have been loaned out and bought in experience pro to gve Ruddy some competitionSame is true of rest of back four not enough competition although soon hopefully will be better when payers back from injury.Next game now massive after this thrashing , and Lambert needs to change something in that defence!

ruddy has done well but is a accident waiting to happen, think if we had a more experienced goalkeeper on the bench he would of replaced ruddy by now, julian speroni would be a gook option in jan

Holt''sRightFoot - don''t be silly. We don''t lose games because our players did something wrong, heaven forbid. We only lose because we were in League One two seasons ago.

Obviously :/

I read on another thread someone saying Ruddy is without doubt a fine shot stopper. But this season he has been found wanting on a few other areas of his game. I''m not bothered about his kicking - I''ve never seen that as a problem with a keeper to be honest, and nobody who moans about his kicking ever mentions his throwing out, which is superb and has started a fair few counter attacks this season.

But for me, a keeper needs to not only beable to stop shots, but also claim corners, organise the defence, and be a presence. I''m not sure Ruddy does those things. Someone a bit more experienced in January might be important.

I was prepared to give him time to develop his skills, and I am still inclined to because he is young.

However, he flatters to deceive with one or two outstanding reflex saves, like the one at Anfield. He seems to lack something when it comes to shots from greater distance, and we have conceded several of those this season. I don''t know what the problem is - bad positioning, lack of acrobatic agility. Of  course, Premiership strikers are very adept at hitting swerving shors into the top corner, but he does not seem to cope as well as other keepers we have seen.

He does seem to be reluctant to leave his line and punch/catch, and generally dominate his area. Perhaps this will come with experience.

I agree he does seem v reluctant to leave his line for crosses and would like to see more of this - esp in teh 6 yard box.

but he has continued to make saves game in game out - and the main problem is that he simply is facing far too many shots and crosses due to poor outfield defending... 

[quote user="Salopian"]

I was prepared to give him time to develop his skills, and I am still inclined to because he is young.

However, he flatters to deceive with one or two outstanding reflex saves, like the one at Anfield. He seems to lack something when it comes to shots from greater distance, and we have conceded several of those this season. I don''t know what the problem is - bad positioning, lack of acrobatic agility. Of  course, Premiership strikers are very adept at hitting swerving shors into the top corner, but he does not seem to cope as well as other keepers we have seen.

He does seem to be reluctant to leave his line and punch/catch, and generally dominate his area. Perhaps this will come with experience.

[/quote]

I''m a broken record on this subject, but Ruddy has now had just under 200 first-team starts. That is a fair bit of experience. One question is what kind of coaching - if any - he is getting to try to eradicate his failings. We seem to have gone through a few goalkeeping coaches over the last few years. The latest one, Jeff Wood, has been at the club since the beginning of March.

It was not a good game for Ruddy yesterday, more disappointing for me than his positioning was the fact that the ball did not seem to stick in his hands.  I think yesterday the nerves just got the better of him.  Their second could quite easily have been caught but he seemed reluctant all day to get his hands wrapped around the ball.  As Purple said he is now 200 into his career now so inexperience, and thus nerves, at this level cannot be used in his defence any more.  Personally I would give Rudd a go - if nothing else it might be the rocket up Ruddy''s arse that he needs to approach these big games differently.