Sign in to follow this  
Rustyboy

Old Barclay Memories

Here’s one that should get all the old boys reminiscing. I can remember arriving early in the old Barclay stand against Spurs and all their fans had climbed the fence giving the Norwich fans a real hard time, spitting, abusing and throwing things at us. There were not many Norwich in the stand and they started picking individuals out. Was I pleased when the stand filled up and we could get our own back!

The fans were also prevented from walking past each other after the game by police barriers/dogs. When you sat down in the terraces you never got a steward to tell you to stand!

Next?

Things like

Bernie Patterson

The Aston Villa/ Jimmy Rimmer game

In line with Fash''s goal vs Liverpool (I know most people say they were, but I ACTUALLY was! lol)

The toilets!!!!

lots more memories

[quote user="crabbycanary"] The toilets!!!! [/quote]

I take it you mean the river of pee that used to be at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the stand!

[quote user="Rustyboy"]Here’s one that should get all the old boys reminiscing. I can remember arriving early in the old Barclay stand against Spurs and all their fans had climbed the fence giving the Norwich fans a real hard time, spitting, abusing and throwing things at us. There were not many Norwich in the stand and they started picking individuals out. Was I pleased when the stand filled up and we could get our own back!

The fans were also prevented from walking past each other after the game by police barriers/dogs. When you sat down in the terraces you never got a steward to tell you to stand!

Next?[/quote]Maybe that''s because they were laughing so much at anyone stupid enough to sit down in all the blood, p*ss and gob that flowed down the steps ?

Couple involving Chelsea ,1978 someone randomly slashing people in the Norwich section was a bit hairy,and 1982 a mob of them steaming the back of the home sections on kick off and staying in there most of the 1st half

In no particular order :1) Those slimy toilets at the back ( if you slipped over in there they kept you in hospital for a week for any sign of infection )2) Bar staff taking the top of a glass beer bottle and letting you walk away with it ( the bottle not the top )3) Destruction by Man U fans after their 2-1 defeat in 1977 ( I think one of them still had a banner saying '' Law is King ''. Really ? )4) A dozen or so Newcastle fans in their clean white butchers coats going in there in 1973 and coming out with covered in blood5) The Chelsea loony leaping on the Norwich fans right in the middle of the home pen in 1973 ( rumours have it he lost an eye )6) That day in the 1970''s v Spurs when a crush barrier was hacked loose and used by the rival fans as a battering ram through the metal fence.7) Those lovely spitting contests through the fence ( hilarious was the day when all except one City fan stopped and he was left all on his own against the fence still spitting. Easy catch that was for Plod )TWTD

[quote user="Congo Canary"]Boily burgers, and the rush 10 minutes before kick off to get to the top right hand corner near the fence...[/quote]Oh yes, I remember the boily burgers. They would sit, on their edge, in a pool of what seemed like hot water! The tea, "Barclay End brew" was rather grim too.The toilets had no roof, so even when you went for a slash you were open to the elements.When Norwich DID score there would usually be a mad surge down the terrace and we''d often get squashed against the yellow box-section barriers. Of course, I never imagined that that could be as dangerous as was at Hillsborough in ''89. It was on so much of a smaller scale at CR.There were always a number of fans, dotted around the Pen, that would make starnge and wonderful noises during lulls in the game.Normally a "Wooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhh !!!!!" or somesuch.An odd chance to Chelsea "You can stick your ****ing celery up your a***".

The pre-fence non-segregated Barclay provides a shed load of memories.  Amongst others include taking up my usual spot three-quarters of the way up the Barclay just behind the goal for the ill-fated fog abandoned Chelsea League Cup Semi-Final.  Looked around me and didn''t spot any of the regulars when about a hundred Chelsea fans burst into song all around me - just slightly unnerving. Coppers pulling out random fans just for the hell of it.  The loos were memorable as were the refreshment outlets!  The hut behind the Barclay where you could buy scarves, badges and old progs.  Lil Kemp and her girls standing in the midst of the lads and giving as good as they got.  Getting a real buzz if you started a song and everyone took it up especially when you were only 12/13 and getting appreciating smiles from the ''faces'' like Levi McCarthy, Mel Ingram and Mick Ely.

[quote user="lake district canary"]"In the net, in the net"...............[/quote]"Oo its a corner, Oo its a corner..."

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]( pointing to away fans )" And do they smellclap,clap,clap.......clap,clap, claplike ****ing hellclap,clap,clap.......clap,clap,clapover there, over there "[/quote]The start to that was -"I hear the sound of distant bumsover there, over thereand do they smell etc etc "

Having to arrive about an hour and a half before kick off just to make sure you didn''t miss the kick off.

There was inevitably a long queue which slowly moved forward, mainly due to people pushing in and people who didn''t have the right money as you went through the turnstiles.

And Smith must score....remember all those.  The crash barrier tug of war was against Arsenal.  The Arsenal lot that came off worst at the back of the Barclay after the game including one guy who said he was stabbed (he did have his arm in a sling) came after us the following week on Liverpool street station after we''d been to Palarse.  Great Barclay memories.  Many of those that sit in there now (like most teams old "ends") have no idea what went on back in the day. Just look at the Shed, The Kop, The Stretford End etc Still meet up with many old Barclay Boys on match days.

The Bee Gees, Slade, Led Zeppelin, The Police, Stones, Blondie. Analogue on your vinyl, cassette radio or eight track. Analogue television highlights on a Sunday afternoon with Gerry and an analogue clock on the stand.

Players were one to eleven; pitches could be a lottery; fouls were hard and players retaliated rather than simulated.

The hinterland of Carrow Road like that around so many other grounds was a grimy, broken paned and barbed wired land of declining manufacturing industry.

The Barclay Stand was a great earthen bank like some Neolithic long-barrow with a grassed side and a concrete side topped with asbestos.

There was no official capacity. Bodies had to gyrate to free arms to clap. A fug of cigarette smoke combined with the singing caused grating hoarseness for the rest of the weekend.

Terraces created a sense of precipice and events on the pitch caused surges of bodies that made you feel you were falling into the action.

We sang songs about being born under the very fabric of that stand and saw barriers become fences and fences become walls of steel until tragedy took them down.

It was denims and Air Wair boots; scarves at waists or around wrists and long hair.

It was cheap entertainment when money was tight. But we never felt poor because no one had much, not even the players. But after 1966 and 1970 (when I believe we had an even better side) English Football was about to decline.

In front of us the open River End morphed into the stand we see today and eventually The Barclay became a mirror image. It’s not better or worse, but like the football of the 1970’s it was different and somehow a little more real.

Ah the memories.Bernie of the Barclay, the songs, the time West Ham and Tottenham invaded the Barclay and caused a great big crush. When Geordie fans came en masse and were by far the loudest away fans. When we used to applaud the away Goalkeeper as they approached our end. The little blue invalid cars making their way round the pitch. Man Utd fans wrecking the Barclay."I was born under a Barclay stand...................""Bertie Mee once said to Bill Shankly...........""Jimmy Bone, Superstar.....""Kenny, Kenny Foggo, Kenny Foggo on the wing.......""If I had the wings of a sparrow..."  (of course) remember this being sung about Millwall rather than Ipshit."You''re going in the river....""You''re going home in a red cross ambulance....""Come and have a go if you think you''re hard enough.....""A-G,   A-G-R,   A-G-R-O,   Agro!and of course On the Ball, City sung with the correct words at the right speed.

This thread has brought back a lot of memories, always used to stand right at the back of the pen behind the goal, probably about 40-50 of us who knew each other through always standing in the same place and managing to get a mini bus full for away games.

Legging it down the steps as soon as the half time whistle blew trying to be the first to the bar, the rush through to the next pen on the odd occasion they opened it up to be nearer the away fans, the lad who always climbed the fence to the top (think he was called Stanley) but top memory has to be seeing Steve Bruce''s header to send our friends out of the Milk Cup and us into the final, I ended up on the railings at the front, I still to this day can''t remember getting from the back to the front in just a few seconds.

Lots of great away day stories but they are for another time.

" taking up my usual spot three-quarters of the way up the Barclay just behind the goal for the ill-fated fog abandoned Chelsea League Cup Semi-Final"

Couldn''t have been far away, though we got pushed down and got involved in a few ''bundles'' with Chelsea fans. They had got in anonymously, no scarves/colours ... then all hell broke lose.

Heard this recently and god did it take me back -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAcG24iI_w&feature=related (linkee anyone)

ba''stard music and the memories it hauls out

reminds me of getting to the ground early, walking up the side of the Barclay and along the back, usual way in or just sat out the back on the grass

''sourvenir'' hut was round the back near tthe South Stand, I used to go round and buy an away programme, often had to wait while someone fetched them from somewhere - Main stand ?

Ist year up was ''fun'' as there was no segregation other than a row of coppers, we played Arsenal and Spurs in successive games (and won) there were loads of their fans in the Barclay, bit leery to say the least

how no one was never injured during the ''surges'' I will never know. a r se over tit time and time again

singing and atmosphere was far better, greater variety of songs and chants, even choruses of ''allouette'' and ''the magic music man'' - the allouette was great as you would get a long, drawn out (hoarse) cry of ''oooooooooooooooooh alleoutte" followed by all the various verses or parts of the body

memories of -

knees up mother brown

''wanderin star'' with everyone trying to sing/growl as low as Lee Marvin

bring on the cushions

who''s your father

who''s your father

who''s your father referee

you ain''t got one

you''re a b**tard

you''re a b**tard, referee

Harry Roberts is our friend

What''s the matter with you screw

Don''t remember On the ball being sung much, when it was it seemed to be a special occasion .. palace at home in 73 and it was sung, with it rollin round the ground

I think it would be hard to explain what it was like to those who were not there. It was open just like a big pub is now and much the same you just turned up, paid and got in, the same with away matches. If you ''played up'' you were a hero, now you are a social pariah to be banished to the wilderness. We seemed to have lost far more than we have gained.

Happy days

Give us an N ...N,

Give us an O ...O,

Give us an R ... R,

Give us a Wubelyou ... W, etc.,

and what have you got ... N O R W I C H - heard from the relative safety of the River End ... Me and my friends always tried to start some signing there but it never caught on!

"Me and my friends always tried to start some signing there but it never caught on! "

Sign language can be rather difficult

Thinking of more now ...

na na na na na na na na na, we are the Barclay Boot Boys!

Kevin, Kevin the Cat, everyone knows his name ...

Get into them ... get into them ...

[quote user="City1st"]"Me and my friends always tried to start some signing there but it never caught on! "

Sign language can be rather difficult[/quote]

Whoops, I guess you realised that I meant SINGING (although signing would probably have been just as ineffective).

[quote user="City1st"]"Me and my friends always tried to start some signing there but it never caught on! "

Sign language can be rather difficult[/quote]

Whoops, I guess you realised that I meant SINGING (although signing would probably have been just as ineffective).

[quote user="City1st"]"  Ist year up was ''fun'' as there was no segregation other than a row of coppers, [/quote]

As it had been before we went up. If the visiting fans got there early they''d position themselves behind the goal. As kids we''d be in there and stay to the right, waiting for the stand to fill up. The away fans would move further towards the South stand as more City boys arrived. By the time the real Barclay Boys got there they would be segregated by a line of coppers. Maybe Tilly was present[:^)][;)]

Was 15 in ''72 and used to stand half way up behind the goal near Lil. Then I left school and started working Saturdays. Missed many games the first year up and a lot of those I saw were from the South Stand. I got a little disillusioned with The Barclay when I couldn''t go every game. It felt like we weren''t really part of it anymore. And I always hated the fences and pens. Yes we can have great memories because they were there and never really questioned. But nobody would tolerate that now.

Blimey I must have stood for years in the close vicinity of City 1st and Nutty Nigel - used to stand near a whole group of lads (and lasses) from North Walsham - my best mate at the time met his  future wife in the Barclay when he was 14 (in about 1968) and they are still married today!

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Things like

Bernie Patterson

The Aston Villa/ Jimmy Rimmer game

In line with Fash''s goal vs Liverpool (I know most people say they were, but I ACTUALLY was! lol)

The toilets!!!!

lots more memories[/quote]Yep our attendance that day was 150,000.  A bit like the Indian rope trick...