Sign in to follow this  
smooth

Taylor out, Coloccini poss out too. We have a great opportunity to play newcastle

I have said it on other posts but if the reports are right then we certainly will see the centre half partnership broken up and possibly two new centre halves playing, if so then Morison and Holt could play up top.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/12/03/alan-pardew-faces-up-to-nufc-injury-crisis-72703-29889083/

Always felt we would be playing them at the right time, the media have been questioning their great start and whether they can keep it up, they have had two tough games and have seen points dry up a little. Psychologically they may be questioning how good they are and hence see us as a game where they can get back on track. But when you have had a run like they have had, I also think you are ready to slip up a little. I think there little blip may be in their minds and hence with these injuries will make it an interesting week for newcastle as they deal with internal squad selection headaches (a number ofp layers were out yesterday). Thats even before they think of playing a Norwich team who will be ready to put in a performance and certainly we should be relishing the fact we are playing against a team with problems at the back on our home turf and can bounce back after the game in Manchester.

Think this is as good a game as any to bring in the diamond or a very attacking line up early. Possibly-

Ruddy, Naughton, Barney, R. Martin, Tierney, Fox, Johnson, EB, Hoolahoops, Holt, Morison.

Certainly scope for Pilky to say why EB before me, but I think we need energy and the defensive qualities of EB with Naughton. But he also has the ability to move forward. Crofts and Surman could feel a little unfairly treated but they could easily slip in when we would put on subs with 20 minutes to go. Same goes for Jackson upfront, one would say that pace against two centre halves who are out of sorts may be the answer, well it maybe, but coming off the bench after we have rattled them with Holt and Morison could be ideal.

So for me this Saturdays game is perfectly poised. A game where we have an opportunity to take advantage of some injuries and selection problems for Pardew and play a very attacking front two and Hoolahoops behind, a game where newcastle will want to bounce back but they may be questioning where there actual level is in the premiership and can they get a partenership at centre half settled before Saturday.

For me we are playing them the perfect week at home, a week after they could have had the end of their blip and Coloccini could be back (as he seems less likely to miss a longer period). We have players biting at the bit to be in that starting line-up, hence I would love to be able to bring on Pilky, Jackson and Crofts on as the game goes on, changes our balance with pace, energy and graft and then with Pilky someone who can deliver great passes and oozing confidence in front of goal. Always good to have those options on the bench for a game like this. I think comments have been made that we don''t know our best team, that may be the case but sometimes problems with opposing teams means you can adjust your plans to really make a statement and take advantage of their misfortunes.

newcastle will also be looking at next week as a chance for them to get back to winning ways - playing a team with just 1 win in 6 games and 14 goals conceded suiting Ba.  Their away record is strong and they are 10 pts clear of us so will still be a tough game but one we can approach with a good deal of confidence

I''d much rather play with width and get crosses in if they''re having to use make-shift centre halves.

4-2-3-1 again for me with Morison dragging the centre halves out of position & Hoolahan popping up in space behind their midfield.

Zipper and Canary on the the trent I agree with both your comments.

Zipper, they will come here knowing they can turn things round, but I do think it is a perfect time to be playing them, there little run maybe cut short. They are punching above their weight a little bit here and know they will slip back to midtable by the end of the year, but doubts may be in their heads and also the fact injuries to the centre halves may have both out. Probably the most important partnership in a team in the prem (because strikers can rely on individual brilliance) could well be shattered. But yes they will be seeing this game as one to turn the corner and get back to winning ways. But we should be relishing the fact they are sliding a little and that we have them at home.

COTT, I agree with crosses coming in. Have to say about 5 games in to this season Tierney had delivered the most amount of crosses in the league (may have been out of full backs) but that has dried up. I don''t think Pilky and EB have particularly gone to the byline, attacked fullbacks and put crosses in to our lone striker. But believe, like you that crosses are essential certainly with the line up I suggest. But to incorporate our best players in a way that can challenge them from the start I would rather see two big men in the box. Rather than Morison on his own with EB or Hoolahoops trying to support. Hoolahoops can run and put the ball in as could EB and two big units can attack the ball and really rustle up the centre half pairnings.

So for me the diamond allowing tierney and naughton to move a little forward, support EB and Johnson in the middle by providing a little more width, but Hoolahan can move out to the left a little to put the balls in.

Either way we have a real opportunity to showcase our abilities and hope we do not play a more reserved system when we can go for the jugular and attack a new defence with our best attacking options early and then make the changes later.

Looking at their forums it appears likely that their CB pairing will be James Perch alongside a full back filling in. For me this definitely screams Holt and Morison. Although there are obviously quicker and more skillful prem strike duos, there is not a front pairing in the prem who would be more of a handful physically and in the air for a pair of inexperienced young defenders.

Holt and Mozza up front. Get it wide and get as many crosses into the box as possible.

lots of talk of crosses coming from wide men is all a bit too traditional for me...if you actually look back at our better games this season a lot of the crosses have come from deeper from likes of Fox, Johnson, and Wes and not just from the flanks.

I would like to see the "soft centred diamond" of fox and wes as the c.midfield paring with possibly one of the wingers losing out to Crofts or BJ for a bit of cover when needed...we should be interchanging players a lot more than we have been...but then thats easier to do against swansea at home that it was at man city away.