Sign in to follow this  
james norwich

Fraser Forster (or anyone but Ruddy)

Without doubt Ruddy will cost ud dearly by the end of the season - we should have bought Fraser Forster in the close season rather than the panic buy Ruddy from the previous year. JR was all at sea at Man City and gives little confidence to his defenders. Why does he go through a warm up routine pre-match catching crosses when he never comes for a cross in a match. Man City''s 2nd goal was a joke - there was no one anywhere near the free kick. Please PL can we have a new keeper for January.

[quote user="james norwich"] Without doubt Ruddy will cost ud dearly by the end of the season - we should have bought Fraser Forster in the close season rather than the panic buy Ruddy from the previous year. JR was all at sea at Man City and gives little confidence to his defenders. Why does he go through a warm up routine pre-match catching crosses when he never comes for a cross in a match. Man City''s 2nd goal was a joke - there was no one anywhere near the free kick. Please PL can we have a new keeper for January.[/quote]

Fraser Forster has not been tested any higher than League 1 Celtic are no higher than that either, Yes he was a good keeper for us but he won''t make this level for a while,

Yes he had a stinker but was not alone in that department. But he has saved us points in other games. Liverpool away being the stand out game. He has not turned into a rubbish keeper over night. Stop moaning and get behind him.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Yes he had a stinker but was not alone in that department. But he has saved us points in other games. Liverpool away being the stand out game. He has not turned into a rubbish keeper over night. Stop moaning and get behind him.[/quote]

This is a wind up right???

Exactly.  I knew there would be a load of threads having a go at JR, but the thruth is that only a couple of weeks ago, people were talking about a potential England call up.  We all know we cant get another Keeper in for another 5 or 6 games, so we need to get behind JR.  Yes he dropped a clanger or 2,, but which keeper hasn''t? 

Isn''t FF on a season long loan meaning we cant sign him anyway?  So apart from FF, who else could we realistically go for, that we can afford for less than 2 million or so???

wes was also responsible for one goal so you going to say get a replacement for him as he obviouslty isn''t good enough. saying that, the way he is playing at the moment this may be true. but players we buy have to be good enough within our financial constraints, not man u''s. so getting anyone considerably better than we already have is a non starter.

Forster would be equally as untested. If we''re going to sign a keeper in January, it needs to be someone with more experience who we know can do the things that Ruddy can''t.

the midfield fails to protect well enough and our back 4 make more elementary mistakes game in game out yet ruddy is wrong footed by tierney leaving a ball at the last minute and the fraser forster posts starts.

get a grip - if you want to replace people first it should be the defenders; all have made more mistakes directly leading to goals than ruddy; at least yesterdays did not and never was going to cost us any points.

barnett, martin tierny have all costs us more points. We just need to perform better rather than react as if a doc has taken a gentle tap just below our knee cap...

[quote user="james norwich"] Without doubt Ruddy will cost ud dearly by the end of the season - we should have bought Fraser Forster in the close season rather than the panic buy Ruddy from the previous year. JR was all at sea at Man City and gives little confidence to his defenders. Why does he go through a warm up routine pre-match catching crosses when he never comes for a cross in a match. Man City''s 2nd goal was a joke - there was no one anywhere near the free kick. Please PL can we have a new keeper for January.[/quote]

The defense were more to blame than Ruddy for their 2nd goal - they should have headed it clear! Ruddy obviously only saw it late and by then there wasn''t much he could do.

Why, exactly, does it need to be someone ''experienced at this level''?

Tim Krul wasn''t exactly experienced, and neither was Vorm. Both have been exceptional so far.

As much as i like Ruddy, he does make too many mistakes. Would love to see Fraser back next season to properly challenege Big John for the jersey. Regardless of what some of you on this forum seem to think, competition for places can''t be a bad thing.

[quote user="Excited Canary"] The defense were more to blame than Ruddy for their 2nd goal - they should have headed it clear! Ruddy obviously only saw it late and by then there wasn''t much he could do.[/quote]

Agreed, the ball went closest to Tierney, he started to go for it, Ruddy thought he was too, Tierney then decides to leave it & it''s too late for Ruddy to react. It was either a 100% Tierney''s error or a joint cock up. 

I like Big John and I really want him to do well, he seems to be a smashing bloke. He is a good shot stopper and his distribution is often excellent.

Here comes the but! Ruddy has problems coming off his line; so much so that he often pauses (as he did at Villa for example)and gives the attacker that millisecond he needs at this level. This was Fraser Forsters biggest assett. I wonder if Ruddy was affected by that Chelsea game where he was sent off.

On top of it all, Ruddy has got a monkey on his back in that he has been unable to play a game all season where he has kept a clean sheet and recently the goals have been flying past him. I don''t blame him for many of these goals, he has been let down by various midfield and defence players, but for me his confidence looks affected and this is most obvious in the number of handling errors he makes.

At this level it is surely about avoiding the danger not dealing with it once it presents itself because in this league more often than not you will be unable to extricate yourself. This means being able to see the situations developing and in Ruddy''s case, managing his defence who he is allowing to fall back on top of him into his space and he must reclaim it or he will have no room to work.

Paul Lambert will judge Ruddy''s state of mind and he may decide to keep playing him; but from an outsiders point of view I am seriously wondering whether the guy needs to rest, re-group and re-apply himself and that means starting on the bench and having a fresh challenge in winning his place back.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

I like Big John and I really want him to do well, he seems to be a smashing bloke. He is a good shot stopper and his distribution is often excellent.

Here comes the but! Ruddy has problems coming off his line; so much so that he often pauses (as he did at Villa for example)and gives the attacker that millisecond he needs at this level. This was Fraser Forsters biggest assett. I wonder if Ruddy was affected by that Chelsea game where he was sent off.

On top of it all, Ruddy has got a monkey on his back in that he has been unable to play a game all season where he has kept a clean sheet and recently the goals have been flying past him. I don''t blame him for many of these goals, he has been let down by various midfield and defence players, but for me his confidence looks affected and this is most obvious in the number of handling errors he makes.

At this level it is surely about avoiding the danger not dealing with it once it presents itself because in this league more often than not you will be unable to extricate yourself. This means being able to see the situations developing and in Ruddy''s case, managing his defence who he is allowing to fall back on top of him into his space and he must reclaim it or he will have no room to work.

Paul Lambert will judge Ruddy''s state of mind and he may decide to keep playing him; but from an outsiders point of view I am seriously wondering whether the guy needs to rest, re-group and re-apply himself and that means starting on the bench and having a fresh challenge in winning his place back.

[/quote]

Rudolph, that is spot on. If the defenders knew Ruddy was going to come out decisively for crosses they could hold a line further up, and you would avoid this confusion as to who should be going for the ball. A previous example of this was the free-kick for Blackburn''s third goal, which - by accident or design - was right into this no man''s land that is created by Ruddy staying on his line. And it may well be that opposing managers have noticed this and told players to put balls into that area.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(]

I think the debacle that QPR have experienced regarding injured keepers means a 3rd keeper is a priority. If nothing else it will put pressure on Ruddy as i don''t think Declan Rudd is likely to challenge him for his place and by Lambert''s own arguments, we need someone to keep him on his toes.

OK, Ruddy is not( and, to be fair, has never claimed to be) the finished article. Unlike the Man Citys of this world, we cannot just go out and buy International class keepers to click their heels on the bench half the time . Even the big clubs have keepers that cost them points with blunders from time to time.  Gomes (Spurs), Almunia and Sczezny (Arse), Ricardo (Chelsea) , anyone ?

To suggest that Fraser Forster, because he''s been tested within a millimetre of destruction by the feared strikers of Inverness CT, Motherwell, and St Johnstone is fanciful to say the least . He did great for us, but that was in League One for heavens'' sake.

On the basis that it''s pretty safe to say that PL will not be able to dust of the Delia chequebook and secure the services of Petr Cech, Iker Casillas or Joe Hart in January, let''s get behind JR, and stop picking holes in him.

http://www.ontheballcity.com/the-fraser-forster-myth/

We have this over on ontheballcity.com which basically has big support of John Ruddy, making the point that if he''s proven he has the potential to play for England in the Premiership and all of us were getting excited about that, there''s no reason he can''t get back there. The Fraser Forster stuff is tiresome, if you''re going to say our League 1 keeper would be better than Ruddy, then bring back Doherty, Otsemobor, Drury and Nelson in defence!

Copybook unblotted Eric! There''s few and even fewer others can keep the likes of Man City out of the net at the moment and yet everyone wants to find a scapegoat, well that''s "human behaviour" but the other side of the coin is that people change their tune or go missing when Ruddy proves them wrong, don''t worry, I''m taking names!

:)

Your name will also go on zee list!

I was saying yesterday before the match that it is no surprise FF is at Celtic when you see their No.1 - did Man United miss a trick not going for Krul? - and Harper on the bench. Sadly for him playing over the border will limit his chances.

It looked to me as if Ruddy was disheartened by the time the third goal went in. He has improved greatly since being with us and i still think he deserves to be the man between the posts. I just hope that these errors are being learnt from and worked on. Same goes for the whole of our defense.

All this talk of FF, shall we just cast our minds back to his 2 red cards during his time with us or the clanger at Elland Road in injury time???

All keepers make mistakes, its how they respond that matters...

Ruddy has done pretty well this season in general, wheeling out these boring posts about an untested Fraser Forster everytime Ruddy makes an inevitable mistake at this level with the pressure he is under is just lazy rubbish.

Oh - lets get rid of the goalkeeperOh - while we''re at it lets get rid of the defenceOh - while we''re at it lets get rid of the midfielders Oh - while we''re at it  lets get rid of the strikersOh - while we''re at it lets sack LambertOh - while we''re at it lets sack the boardOh - while we''re at it why don''t we sack supporters who can''t get a gripOh - while we''re at it lets start at the bottom of the list

[quote user="Ruddy Wizard"]Copybook unblotted Eric! There''s few and even fewer others can keep the likes of Man City out of the net at the moment and yet everyone wants to find a scapegoat, well that''s "human behaviour" but the other side of the coin is that people change their tune or go missing when Ruddy proves them wrong, don''t worry, I''m taking names! :)[/quote]

Please, Captain Mainwaring, sir. I would like to volunteer to be top of the list, sir![:P]

james norwich if you really are a Norwich fan (which I doubt) we can do without fans like you, the players need support after a defeat like yesterday not idiots like you spouting garbage on message boards.

Haha, Ruddy was in a team that took us up this year and has been steady in front of a defence which has struggled all season.

Think many have said it, we could improve throughout our team and certainly in January we will be buying, I hope, starters who will increase the quality or our team. Ruddy is capable he needs support from his backline and they need his support.

I think we are a team where you could say there is not one stand out player in a position, we are a team. Players who I would say are 7/10 we haven''t bought any players who have shone and proved themselves to be that one mark higher and hence a key premiership player. I think Lambert has cleverly built a squad of different attributes throughout but at all the same standard, which is great keeps the ethos and we can grow together. Just in January we may pick up a few players who begin to push us forward again, like every other window. Someone earlier says lets bring back those that due to our success are redundant (all in tongue and cheek may I add).

Ruddy is fine for us, our aim is 17th place and our squad is capable of that. Is it capable of anything higher than where we are now, no not really. But we are growing and yes we made mistakes against a man city team and others. But we have a team capable of 17th. Few additions and we will be looking to capitalise on our good points tally, altho I expect more between now and Jan., we are what we are.

There was a debate about constructive criticism earlier, I am all for constructive critism, but this does make me laugh. Ruddy is not the finished article and it is clear that communication and taking charge at the back is a weakness. But it will change, our defenders will get better and we have players coming back. If they aren''t good enough then Lambert will look elsewhere.

I would not have starting goalkeeper as priority, with those that are avaialble pretty slim, I look at the spine from centre half, central midfield and poss a striker and maybe a wide player. That is still alot of players considering we would have to name a new 25 man squad.

You are always looking to improve the team, as I mention I think we are pretty level across the board and hence improvement will happen, but can''t see a starting keeper that is avaialble in Jan. In the Summer window there will be scope however as certainly if we want to stay up again the season after we will need competition to keep us above whoever comes up and to compete with those who stayed up and build similarily to us.

"Please, Captain Mainwaring, sir. I would like to volunteer to be top of the list, sir!"

PC - or should I say Corporal Jones? Don''t Panic, don''t panic!

They don''t like it up ''em.

[quote user="Ruddy Wizard"]Copybook unblotted Eric! There''s few and even fewer others can keep the likes of Man City out of the net at the moment and yet everyone wants to find a scapegoat, well that''s "human behaviour" but the other side of the coin is that people change their tune or go missing when Ruddy proves them wrong, don''t worry, I''m taking names! :)[/quote]

Did not realise that my copybook had been blotted, RW, but thanks for the pardon, anyway.

You make a fair point re Ruddy. I bet that by May , he will have won us more points than he''s cost us . Declan Rudd has great potential, but I''m sure he''d make the odd blunder if he was in goal every week.

Blaming Ruddy again haha.

Jesus you were all praising him when he has kept us in games.

The WHOLE Team didn''t play well yesterday.

Even if we had been on top of our game, i still think we would of lost 3-1. Man City are a brilliant team.

Everytime i come on these boards its just moan moan moan about players. GET BEHIND THE TEAM!!! Ruddy should have no more blame put on him then the rest of the team.

[quote user="Ruddy Wizard"]"Please, Captain Mainwaring, sir. I would like to volunteer to be top of the list, sir!" PC - or should I say Corporal Jones? Don''t Panic, don''t panic! They don''t like it up ''em.[/quote]

RW, it is just that, to paraphrase your legend thingy...

"Look, just so it''s clear, I''ve had it in for Ruddy longer than any of you!"

...so I think I deserve pride of place on your List of Shame![;)]