Sign in to follow this  
mikewalker

Mark Bowen tackling

Lovely to see Tierney in the QPR game do the old Bowen trick of running away from his opponent but at slightly slower pace than the winger, so the ball flicked off his heels and he was able to clear. Drury never mastered this, nice to see it reprised.

All we need now is Fox to volley the ball up field when receiving a throw-in Crook-style and we''ll be well on our way.

Thats basic defending.. google "jockeying" anyone who has ever played a game of football at any level should be able to do it...As for ian Crook, he never volleyed a ball in his life!

I''m pleased someone else spotted that one from Bowen.

The other classic was that most delicate of all NCFC players Spencer Prior giving the "horse bite" trick to the inner arm of the opposition player by not quite holding their arm in a challenge but nipping it with a hand grip. I remember a few Leicester players all getting the treatment one game...one (can remember who), came running up to him at the end of the game showing him his under arm mark...they both had wry smiles.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I''m pleased someone else spotted that one from Bowen.

The other classic was that most delicate of all NCFC players Spencer Prior giving the "horse bite" trick to the inner arm of the opposition player by not quite holding their arm in a challenge but nipping it with a hand grip. I remember a few Leicester players all getting the treatment one game...one (can remember who), came running up to him at the end of the game showing him his under arm mark...they both had wry smiles.[/quote]

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I''m pleased someone else spotted that one from Bowen.

The other classic was that most delicate of all NCFC players Spencer Prior giving the "horse bite" trick to the inner arm of the opposition player by not quite holding their arm in a challenge but nipping it with a hand grip. I remember a few Leicester players all getting the treatment one game...one (can remember who), came running up to him at the end of the game showing him his under arm mark...they both had wry smiles.[/quote]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Thats basic defending.. google "jockeying" anyone who has ever played a game of football at any level should be able to do it...

As for ian Crook, he never volleyed a ball in his life!
[/quote]

No, I know jockeying when I see it and this isn''t jockeying. Its almost like he''s trying to beat the attacker to the byline, but by glancing over his shoulder and running at a silly pace Bowen (and now Tierney) was able to bamboozle the opponent into thinking he was a coward for challenges and blip the ball off his heel and away from the attacker.

Crook used to shape to control a ball as it came toward him from the throw in, then would twist and volley it straight up the pitch. I''m 100% sure about this. I used to study his technique and ponder that no-one else in our team was capable of it (these volley passes were usually decent passes) and fretted what we''d do when he retired/left (to my child brain this volley-from-a-throw-in was the very fabric of our football ethos)

Turns out relegation and years of utter mediocrity was the answer.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I''m pleased someone else spotted that one from Bowen. The other classic was that most delicate of all NCFC players Spencer Prior giving the "horse bite" trick to the inner arm of the opposition player by not quite holding their arm in a challenge but nipping it with a hand grip. I remember a few Leicester players all getting the treatment one game...one (can remember who), came running up to him at the end of the game showing him his under arm mark...they both had wry smiles.[/quote]

Lovely spot. Didn''t Prior go on to join Leicester? Bet that was an awkward changing room to begin with. Horse bite reprisals aots.

I think he did mike.

I also remember him being the only one on a cold winters night with short sleeves on whilst the rest had long sleeves, under shorts, gloves and what not on. I''d love to think what the big man thinks of snoods? I bet he cant even say the word.

Also great to see Bradley Johnson against QPR shepherding the ball into touch with his head, while on the ground.

Reprising that old trick by Michael Nelson, who could put in a mean tackle with his face.