Sign in to follow this  
Paul Green

Grade A games?

I''ve just bought my ticket for the Fulham game and I have to say I now am starting to think the club is taking the piss BIG style! How can anybody explain to me that this game can be a grade A game, I excepted begrudgingly the Newcastle game as they are currently in the top 6 but even then that is stretching it a bit so the only thing I can come up with is that it is holiday time and they know they will have no trouble selling them so if that''s the case what comes next grade A games because the kick off is at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon!!!!

Got to agree with you PG.When this graded games lark was first brought in the games were announced at the beginning of that season and that was that. Over the last couple of seasons the club seem to be quite happy to move the goalposts as and when they feel like it. How can Fulham be a Grade A match ? Likewise Newcastle shouldn''t be a Grade A affair despite their current lofty position.I''ll bet that had any of the usual top six suspects found themselves in the bottom half of the table at the time we entertained them we wouldn''t regrade the match downwards to reflect it. If by some miracle we should find ourselves in the top six when we go to Craven Cottage and St James''s Park I''m sure those clubs won''t suddenly up their prices. Understandable in Fulham''s case perhaps but Newcastle never seem to have trouble filling their ground.If games are based on the current League position of the opposition why bother to announce any grading at all ?As we sell out almost every week we might as well have Grade A prices for every League game and then knock a few quid off as a '' gesture '' every now and then....

I''m getting worried about how much they will charge for season tickets next year, especially if we are doing well when prices are to be announced, they went up a bit last year, but this year could be a HUGE increase judging by individual ticket prices!

The pricing for this game in an absolute disgrace. I applaud David McNally for the wonderful job he has done but you cannot justify charging casual supporters and away fans £43 for this game. I can understand charging these prices for the established big 6. But not the rest of the league.

I also fear that the prices could passed onto Norwich supporters indirectly in other ways. I don''t know the rules so I was wondering if anyone could help. Is there anything to now stop the likes of Newcastle and Fulham from reciprocating and charging us £43 to sit in the away end. We could have no complaints if they did. It would be a shame if people missed out on these trips due to affordability.

Don''t understand why anyone is surprised about this.Fulham is Grade A because its New Year. Any games we play over Christmas/New Year are always popular. Its a tradition in this country thBoltat people like to go and watch a match over the festive period (especially when exiled Canaries return to the Fine City to see family).If you want to go to a cheaper game then save it for Burnley, Bolton, Wigan  or Wolves. I expect they''ll be cheaper.

I agree with the OP. These games against the smaller Premiership clubs should be grade B or even C rated, with a top ticket price of no more than 25 to 28 pounds. Anything else is just daylight robbery. Don''t pay the exorbitant prices.

[quote user="ryan1992"]I''m getting worried about how much they will charge for season tickets next year, especially if we are doing well when prices are to be announced, they went up a bit last year, but this year could be a HUGE increase judging by individual ticket prices![/quote]

Talking about Season Ticket prices, does anyone know when they will announce the prices for next season? I''m sure they had done so by this time, last year. Also will they be likely to have different prices, depending on which division we are in? As it would seem harsh if they significantly hiked the prices up due to the fact we are are currently in the Prem. despite the fact there is a possibilty that we could be playing Championship football next season.

[quote user="Col Canary"]Don''t understand why anyone is surprised about this.Fulham is Grade A because its New Year. Any games we play over Christmas/New Year are always popular. Its a tradition in this country thBoltat people like to go and watch a match over the festive period (especially when exiled Canaries return to the Fine City to see family).If you want to go to a cheaper game then save it for Burnley, Bolton, Wigan  or Wolves. I expect they''ll be cheaper. [/quote]Then why didn''t the club make it a Grade A game when they published the casual ticket prices way back in July ?It comes as no surprise to find that QPR''s home game just two days later on the Bank Holiday of Jan 2nd is a Grade C match. Might that be something to do with the fact that they''re playing less attractive opposition that day ?

I was totally shocked and disgusted when told it was an A category game. As for the argument that Christmas and New Year games are popular, not with Supermembers they''re not. Got my ticket by phone about 9.10 this morning after a small wait and then got the seat I wanted. Not the case for Tottenham or Newcastle, despite phoning constantly for an hour both were sold out before I could get through. There are still lots of seats for this so called A category game available even now though.

[quote user="nulli secundus"]I was totally shocked and disgusted when told it was an A category game........ Got my ticket by phone about 9.10[/quote]I think McNally maybe teating the water with this one. If people who are "shocked and disgusted" at the price are still buying tickets, then he will keep the prices high. Wonder if we''ll even have a grade C game this season? What about Burnley in the Cup, can''t see many people paying more than £20 for that one.

All the people complaining about the price of this match seem to still be buying the tickets, keep buying and McNally will simply keep them the same because he''ll maximize profits if our gates continue to be 95% and up.

That’s exactly the sort of smug reaction that makes me sick as a supporter. For whatever reason there are some City fans who do not have a season ticket, financial, location or other commitments on a weekend. But once in a while they would like to attend a City match if they could, but are being priced out of a game.

If there was an ignore or block option you would be on it, purely for that smarmy “I’m alright, don’t give a stuff about you” comment. Appalling.

[quote user="Ben "]It''s the price you pay for not investing in a season ticket when we were in League 1 or the Championship.[/quote]Broad shoulders and thick skin - you might need it...

All i''m saying is that if you want to occasionally go to a game you can''t complain if you''re getting charged a lot as the fans who go week in week out deserve the cheaper prices. Where I think the system is wrong is that people who have bought memberships this season are given the same priority as those who have had memberships for years. Those real fans who liked to go to a few games a season no matter what league we are the ones who are losing out. Not the ones who just want to watch Premier League football. I pay a lot of money for away games including travel yet don''t complain about the cost as it''s my decision. If you don''t want to pay it don''t but don''t have a go at the club for making money out of the casual football supporters. We''re not a charity.

Nice sound of screeching brakes and pulling the car into reverse Ben, but if that really is your opinion why didn’t you say it first as opposed to offering it when challenged?

Unless of course the first opinion you offered was the one you really believed in.

A little tip for free; maybe think before you post next time. Not everyone in the world is as fortunate as you think you are. Maybe when you are less fortunate you might have a different view on priorities in life and supporting your team.

Because I didn''t feel the need to say that first time around not because i''m back tracking.. It''s a fact that if they were to get a season ticket while we were in the Championship or League One then it would be cheaper for them this season.

I never have had a problem with members just I have a problem with people who only start to go to games as soon as we get into the Prem.

"Not everyone in the world is as fortunate as you think you are" So you''re saying that I think i''m fortunate but i''m really not? :S

I really don''t think it has anything to do with being fortunate tbh. If someone works hard in their life and get a decent job and can afford to go to the games thats not being fortunate that''s just being clever. And as you said there the key word "priories". Not a question of how much the ticket is it''s just people would rather spend the money on something different to watching Norwich. Obviously looking after your family comes first but certain people might pay for a sky membership for example and then complain about not being able to afford a season ticket. Not really not being able to afford it just they chose to spent the money elsewhere.

The price of this match stinks, it''s really over the top! We have 2 things the club needs to look at, the price of grade A games especially when the opposition is hardly a top team.

The other is the buy back when the clubs gets about 65 percent of the selling price immediately and the season ticket holder has to wait until they renew their seat for their 30 percent, no wonder we have empty seats at sell out games!

"It''s the price you pay for not investing in a season ticket when we were in League 1 or the Championship."Bought my first season ticket when we went to League one, kept it in the Championship  and gave it up this year when I could not get to all of the games. So don''t tell me, a supporter of 35 years that its hard luck and I should be a season ticket holder.And yes, I will think twice if they try to charge the same for Bolton or Wigan, £43 is too much to watch Fulham.

Just for your information Ben I have been going for over 40 years so not just the last couple of seasons and the reason I do not have a season ticket is I work 4 days on and four days off so I have to miss half the games a season unlike you I expect 9-3:30 atleast I think that''s the school hours these days? it''s prats like you that make this forum the laughing stock it is and why I and many other people very rarely bother posting.

The casual prices are way too high and the grading system is very abused by the club (I suspect the club would rather scrap the grading systam in the Premiershio!) but while we''re selling out, many fans moaning about casual prices yet still buying tickets and demand way outstripping supply then nothings going to change!

Like I said on the FA cup thread a minute ago, no seat only ticket should cost more than £10 for adults and £5 for concessions because its likely we won''t be giving 2 monkeys about the cup yet again which is a crying shame!

I think I have quite clearly said that people who have been going regally for some time shouldn''t be punished by the high ticket prices. Just I understand why the club charges these prices to casual fans as the majority of them have only become interested in going to games recently. It''s unfortunate from the casual fans point of view that they get charged that much but it''s simple supply and demand. And with huge demand for tickets the prices are going to rise. The price will only come down if we expand our stadium which won''t be till another 2 and half years of Premier League football.

I  think you dug yourself a bit of a hole here with your first post Ben. Which is a shame because you make a very good point about the membership system.

I think it''s very fair to say that super members from previous seasons should have priority over those who signed up this season. Season ticket holders aren''t better fans than super members and super members aren''t better fans than members. Fans have whatever suits their needs. Someone who can go every game buys a season ticket. Someone who can only go to some games gets super membership whilst a fan who can only go occasionally probably just has membership and struggles to get a ticket. I agree the long standing fans from each group should get priority over those who have only wanted tickets this season.

Unless I''m mistaken a Man.Utd fan living in Norwich can get supermembership and have priority over City fans to buy a ticket for the Man U home game.

Ben (I presume) is a young lad who is essentially just annoyed at fans wanting to turn up when the team is successful and aimed it at these people as such.

Unfortunately there are thousands of supporters, myself included, that cannot make it to games week-in, week-out for various reasons. Yes, it is annoying for fans like ourselves who have watched the grimsby aways, the yeovil aways etc. and now can''t get a ticket vs. the big guns but that''s life.

The topic is about charging £43 vs. Fulham and from a business point of view, with the current supply and demand I can understand why they have done it but it really is a disgrace. You cannot be kind in business but you cannot lose sight of common sense either.

The grading of games by the Club has become somewhat opaque recently and I really think it''s something they should look at otherwise they risk alienating a large section of the casual (no offence intended) fans.

Just as a matter of interest, I was having a similar conversation with an Arsenal fan in the office regarding their grading system for Premiership games and they have just Grade A and Grade B games. Until recently they had just four Grade A are against Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd. They''ve now added a fifth, Man City, but all the other garmes are Grade B. It''s a simply and fair system and everyone knows where they stand.

To my mind we could follow a similar system, perhaps making the likes of Aston Villa, Everton and Newcastle gGade B games with all the rest being Grade C games.

I empathise with people''s comments. I chose not to buy Fulham tickets due to price.I''m all for freedom of speech but basic economics dictates McNally is well within his right to be charge as much as he can get for tickets when demand clearly outstrips supply.We all want our club to become an established prmeiership club and that takes money. I''d expect nothing else from our CEO to maximise revenue by charging as much as he can get. It may not be fair on us the fans but based on his decisions in the last two years he can do whatever he wants and will get my complete backing! (As long as the club prospers I dont mind missing out!)I think some people need to understand if you want 2/3 top signings in January, maximising ticket revenue and all  revenue streams for that matter is invaluable. We can''t have a successful side, full of high earning players without high ticket prices.Well done McNally. Keep up the good work - Until we get another 10,000 seats this is how its got to be.

I was going to post this yesterday but i couldnt post for some reason.

When i asked about newcastle many people went its because there third, anyone fancy explaining this other then the club is doing it due to demand exceeding supply.

Tbh i would still go even of it went to 80 quid or something stupid each but thats because i would do anything to watch the mighty city play :)