Sign in to follow this  
Feel The Force

Who's our Huckerby come January?

As far as I can see it''s the missing link. A winger that will run at defenders and take them on. Pilks is great but more in the Beckham mould. Bennett has great pace but more often than not just uses it when tracking back and he lacks the confidence to take players on. If we had a Hucks we''d be more of an attacking threat and would win more free kicks in dangerous areas and with Fox and Pilks we know we can hurt teams at set plays.

Question is who is our Huckerby come January? and could we afford such a player?

Gylfi Sigurðsson not getting a game at 1899 Hoffenheim has a 1 in 2 goal rate when at reading and not getting games, would probably cost around the 6m mark though. The guy is class

Jay Rodrigues to move before FA Cup, Maynard or Zaha out of our price range.

southampton had 5m rejected for rodrigues in the summer so id say maynard is more likely as he is out of contract in the summer

I''ve been impressed by Vicente Rodríguez at Brighton this year. Former Spain international with bags of ability, but a career blighted by injury. Although injured again (thigh I think) he''s coming back and has certainly had an impact at Brighton. Good points: natural ability, pace and now used to the English game. Negative points: Only recently signed for Brighton, INJURIES!

Regardless, I actually think we lack someone in the Youssef Safri mould. A combative, strong and fast central defensive midfielder with good passing ability- a strange mix of Johnson/Fox/Crofts in style and physique. When he came into the team in 04/05 (bought in summer but for some reason not played) it was a key part of our near survival. It also helped that we had a good striker come in at around the same time!

Any thoughts?

We definitely need a flair player but the trouble is flair players rarely work as part of a team and put in the hard-work at the same time as the flair. Those that do cost too much money for this exact money.

If we stay up and Wigan go down this season I would love to see us seriously look at Victor Moses.

Few will agree with these but I''d got for Bradley Wright-Phillips for the pace and Ched Evans (yes, predictable) for the attacking options.

BWP seems to be getting his act together at Charlton and yes, it is League 1, but they are, as we were, a "big club" for that league-Holty made the step us, so has Wes, David Fox...no reason why he shouldn''t, though maybe he doesn''t slot into the Lambert model.

As for Ched, well, he came through the Man City youth with Daniel Sturridge and was as highly rated as him. Sturridge looked as if he might fall out of the picture, but the loan spell and goals he scored at Bolton seemed to make him and he is now looking a very strong possibility for our Euro 2012 squad. Ched has struggled more, he looked good here in a poor side and we could have done with signing him in 2008 (10 goals in 28 appearances) but that was never going to happen.

He''s had a tough time with Sheff United and Blackwell, certainly, didn''t seem as if he wanted to know, Speed would have given him his chance again and he''s doing well under Wilson-I think it shows a certain strength of character in that he did knuckle down and is amongst the goals now-again, yes, League 1, but, like Charlton, they are a big club for that league and he will have been expected to perform-thus far, he is.

As for the midfield, thats where I come unstuck-we need a player who can put his foot in, break up play, be a real physical presence and give some of our other midfielders the time and confidence to do what they do best-which isn''t that. But as for who that might be, well...I''m struggling!

I think deals might already have been done. we know Lambert dopesnt hang about, January is just for Dotting the I''s and Crossing the T''sover the next 3 or 4 games look to see who suddenly starts disappearing from starting lineups and isnt injured.. these tend to be the players who are moving on.I think we should watch Snodgrass carefully.

I''ve mentioned him before but what about Marvin Emnes? He is very skillful, scores and brings the unexpected to a game. Bit like a more attacking Wes. It was not coincidence that Swansea faltered after his loan ended

One I''d really like to see in a city shirt is Clinton Dempsey. A real handful who makes and scores goals as part of a team not a standout player. Very underrated and with a good record

[quote user="MAJESTIC"]Gylfi Sigurðsson not getting a game at 1899 Hoffenheim has a 1 in 2 goal rate when at reading and not getting games, would probably cost around the 6m mark though. The guy is class[/quote]He is absolutely incredible! What I''ve give to see him in a city shirt. How about that young Messi lad? Heard he''s scoring a few for Barca lately? [^o)]

Just had a thought. Lambert was at Scumville watching Ipswich vs. Coventry.

Could he have been keeping his eye on very highly rated youngster Gael Bigirimana?

(Copied quote from Coventry Academy manager, Gregor Rioch) "Gael is originally from Burundi in Africa and his family moved over and knocked on the door as a 12-year old and asked for a trial," "He was told he would have to play for a local team and be seen but then as he ran up the road one of the scouts saw this athlete sprinting away and called him back, and thankfully he did because he is an extreme talent, he really is."

"He can play absolutely anywhere. He''s a footballer but we look at him as an Essien-type of footballer in central midfield, sat in front of the back four who can pick the ball up and play."

Only 18, yet has started in most games for Coventry and remains one of the few positives in what is a very bad season for them so far.

Not sure how much he would cost, though. May be one for the summer rather than January.

Just a thought.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]I''ve mentioned him before but what about Marvin Emnes? He is very skillful, scores and brings the unexpected to a game. Bit like a more attacking Wes. It was not coincidence that Swansea faltered after his loan ended One I''d really like to see in a city shirt is Clinton Dempsey. A real handful who makes and scores goals as part of a team not a standout player. Very underrated and with a good record[/quote]

I agree about Emnes. He''s a class act and would be welcome.

Clint Dempsey would never move here: Fulham would never allow it, he''s made his home in London and we couldn''t afford his wages. I''d be glad to be proved wrong in this instance as he is a talented footballer.

if we were to sign one of covs youngsters it would have to be connor thomas, seen him a few times and is defo a future England player, probably there biggest asset

To answer the question in the thread, I think to find someone with Huckerby''s experience, level of skill, desire, and love for the club he joined and made his own - is practically impossible.  However, there are plenty of skilful players out there who could help!  But you pays your money and takers your choice as there is no guarentee they will fit in straight away.  The other great thing about Huckerby was the knowledge that you knew you were going to get value for money because he never really let down any club he played for and was universally popular at his old stomping grounds.  Hope  we can find another Huckerby - but its a big ask!!

Doubt it''ll be anyone from the lower leagues - their prices will be vastly inflated especially if that player is a key member of a promotion chasing/relegation saving squad. I think we may be looking at Prem players who aren''t getting much of a look in at their current clubs.

Adam Hammill?

[quote user="tom cavendish"]It was reported that Lambert was intrested in Lukas Jutkiewicz.[/quote]I think he may have been the more likely target of his trip to Ipswich...

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="tom cavendish"]It was reported that Lambert was intrested in Lukas Jutkiewicz.[/quote]
I think he may have been the more likely target of his trip to Ipswich...
[/quote]

Or if we are to believe the claims, Keith Andrews?

How about Michael Kightly? Now at Watford on loan from Wolves after having a torrid time with injuries. I think he is very highly rated at Wolves but they might have lost patience with him. Seems to be on the mend and scored the other week for Watford, very pacey and direct could be the impact player we need to push us over the line for certain games. Although like I said very injury prone and Wolves probably will want him back when fully fit but you never know. Just a suggestion.

I really like Kightly - but the word on the street is that he''s not the same player he was since his series of big injuries and there is concern as to whether he''ll ever be.  We don''t need two attacking men of that ilk do we....

Was a great night. Hucks was very honest in his replies. I well enjoyed it.

Many thanks to INCSC for organising it[Y]

What a great night, last night, Hucks was in top form as he always was when he played for us.[:D]

Our 5 guests from the Hamlet centre also had a great night and the look on their faces when Hucks gave them all one of his books and had his picture taken with them, was a real joy to see.

Back to the thread ''''Whos going to be our Huckerby in January '''' there won''t be one, they broke the mold when they made him.[:''(]