Sign in to follow this  
YellowBlood

Now that United are in the Europa League...

2nd Leg of the Eurovision Cup last 32 round is 23rd Feb and the Carling Cup final is on the Sunday. I''ve no idea when we''ll be playing now.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]2nd Leg of the Eurovision Cup last 32 round is 23rd Feb and the Carling Cup final is on the Sunday. I''ve no idea when we''ll be playing now.[/quote]

Possibly the Monday? Sky do not have a live game listed for then, although it is not clear if they''ve thought about that yet, because their provisional league/cup schedule only so far goes to that Sunday, with the north London derby at lunchtime and then the Carling Cup final. An alternative would for it to be played on the Sunday, but not televised, as happened with our game against Stoke.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Oh dear......what a shame.....never mind.
[/quote]

Have I missed something here, I thought they said Europa league next season not next February, so why would our match be moved

Are you serious? I''m going to assume you are...

Teams that finish 3rd in the Champions League get moved into the current season''s Europa League as if they qualified from their group in the Europa League.

There is only one Europa league per season.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I was going to respond to your post but I am too busy laughing at United having to play in the Euro Vase [:D][:D][:D][:D][/quote]

And Man City with all that money spent - yet the mighty Apoel Nicosia qualify [:D][img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I was going to respond to your post but I am too busy laughing at United having to play in the Euro Vase [:D][:D][:D][:D][/quote]

Well at least someone thought my post was funny anyway, Poor manure and city. no big megga bucks league

[quote user="pete_norw"]

Well at least someone thought my post was funny anyway, Poor manure and city. no big megga bucks league

[/quote]

Sorry Pete I wasn''t responding to you. Looks like your post is still not funny. Unlike..........

[quote user="Shyster"] And Man City with all that money spent - yet the mighty Apoel Nicosia qualify [:D] [/quote]

Will Apoel crumble if they come up against strong opposition in the second round?

[:D][:$]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

Sorry Pete I wasn''t responding to you. Looks like your post is still not funny. Unlike..........

[quote user="Shyster"] And Man City with all that money spent - yet the mighty Apoel Nicosia qualify [:D] [/quote]

Will Apoel crumble if they come up against strong opposition in the second round?

[:D][:$]

[/quote]

Not only will Apoel crumble, I think they''ll get creamed at the next stage [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-8.gif[/img][img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img][img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-47.gif[/img][img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img][img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-58.gif[/img]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shack Attack"]I was going to respond to your post but I am too busy laughing at United having to play in the Euro Vase [:D][:D][:D][:D][/quote]

And Man City with all that money spent - yet the mighty Apoel Nicosia qualify [:D][img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

[/quote]

The look on Fergie''s face when the final whistle went in Basel was PRICELESS !

The English Prem Lge had built up this myth that it''s the "best league in the world" ...blah blah blah . But that''s exactly what it is....a myth.

There was a hilariously disproportionate comment from Wenger at the start of the week when he said it would be "catastrophic" if so few English clubs got through that the number of places in the Champions League in future might be cut from four to three. Ie, if only two clubs rather than three were quite undeservedly allowed into a competition supposedly for title winners.

Accepting for the sake of argument that there are sporting catastrophes (as opposed to real human ones) that really, really, really doesn''t qualify.

I asked this question on twitter this morning and was told that Italy have lost a place to Germany, but England are well ahead of Italy so as it stands there is little chance of England losing the fourth slot. Exactly how all this is calculated I have no idea.

On a serious note - if ManU were so poor - and we managed quite well against them too - and ManC were poor, it begs the question about how teams at the top of the prem should be approached.Were we beaten before we went out on the pitch last Saturday?   Do the players believe in the myths about Man City and the super rich clubs?Facts are facts, I know, but if we - and other clubs - are too respectful of these ''top'' teams is it not just playing into their hands?

I''ve been thinking about something similar LDC. It appears to me that there is a rise of new talent in Europe which is fostered as much as bought and which plays great team football with passion. It particularly struck me when Napoli beat Man City and again last night with the spirit of Basle vs United.

Lambert knows European systems and his sides play with passion. Perhaps he needs better players but he also needs to keep faith in playing his way rather than overly adapting to the opposition.

Where we were in awe of certain teams the attitude of the European sides is irreverent and this is what we need to show more of. Holt takes this approach and Morison especially does because they bet on themselves to do something. This attitude needs to spread around the side a bit more. Oddly enough, I think Swansea have it and it might be because of where they are located.

I see the point that you two are making but Napoli have a front three who on their day as as good as any in Europe at the moment. There really is no comparison between us and Napoli. If you watched the game in Naples you would have noticed that they actually defended in a very similar manner to us on Saturday (deep and central) but they had the pace and quality going forward to break effectively and create chances.I agree that the Premier League is not all it is cracked up to be but it is the teams in the middle where I think we can take advantage of this. We certainly should not be in awe of the likes of Stoke, Villa and Everton. I shared your anger Rudolph about the performance against Villa (where of course we played two up front) and the acceptance of that defeal by some just because Villa were ''an established Premier League side''. Man City are a different proposition as far as I am concerned.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I I agree that the Premier League is not all it is cracked up to be but it is the teams in the middle where I think we can take advantage of this. We certainly should not be in awe of the likes of Stoke, Villa and Everton.[/quote]

I think that, in a nutshell, is precisely the point Shack. The one big difference between now and our season in the Prem in 04-05 is that, quite apart from the fact that we have better players/manager ourselves is that the middle to lower ranking teams are now nothing like as good as they were then. We had great difficulty competing with the Evertons, Boltons,  Man Citys (in those days!) Fulhams of this world, and looked like we''d be beaten most weeks by them. Now it''s a lot more even. Basically, in the intervening 6 yrs the rich have got richer and the poor poorer . Even at the top, whilst you have the example of Man C and Spurs who''ve got better, even MU, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are nothing like as good teams as they were back then.