Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Ruling on Angus Gunn

I am happy with 250K for a boy who only ever played youth football for us.Look at it another way it is 250K of the money back his dad wasted when he was manager.[;)]

Agreed, and there are add-ons.

Reasonable deal for us.

Gunn did waste a lot, but it was all extra worth it because he got us Grant Holt.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I am happy with 250K for a boy who only ever played youth football for us.Look at it another way it is 250K of the money back his dad wasted when he was manager.[;)][/quote]

Get in! [Y]

Is it not the case that the Gunn family re-located lock, stock and barrel to the Manchester area so young Angus qualified for United on a residential basis?

Byan''s old mate Alex plus enmity he couldn''t get over afer being ousted by McNally - no reason to stay for our Bryan I suspect.

Time for a certain supporters club to be re-named.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

Is it not the case that the Gunn family re-located lock, stock and barrel to the Manchester area so young Angus qualified for United on a residential basis?

Byan''s old mate Alex plus enmity he couldn''t get over afer being ousted by McNally - no reason to stay for our Bryan I suspect.

[/quote]

The Gunn family moved to the Manchester area when Bryan was given a job working for one of the top football agencies in the country - if he went  to Manchester because of ''his old mate Alex'' his son ended up joining the wrong club.

Bryan Gunn should be one of the last ex-players to have any resentment towards for any reason whatsoever. At one time he carried personal tradegy and his commitment to our Club on his broad shoulders with seeming ease and he was a rock in our goal for a  long and successful period.

I did, however, used to rail at him for his occasional and costly hot-headedness. How many times did he get sent off?

Even his managerial flop has some excuse in the fact that he inherited a complete mess, in all ways, from Roeder. 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

The Gunn family moved to the Manchester area when Bryan was given a job working for one of the top football agencies in the country - if he went  to Manchester because of ''his old mate Alex'' his son ended up joining the wrong club.

[/quote]

Sorry but in my opinion if you believe that you''ll believe anything. At the time he moved I had already been told by someone i trust that his son had joined Man City and that was the reason for the move. I suspect that this job with this agency was all brokered as part and parcel of the same deal. Be interesting to know how much work Gunny is actually doing for this un-named top agency.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry but in my opinion if you believe that you''ll believe anything. At the time he moved I had already been told by someone i trust that his son had joined Man City and that was the reason for the move. I suspect that this job with this agency was all brokered as part and parcel of the same deal. Be interesting to know how much work Gunny is actually doing for this un-named top agency.

[/quote]

For the record his son is of course perfectly entitled to join whatever club he chooses and i''d imagine that at the time Gunny was not feeling particularly well disposed towards the club having been disposed of by McNally in the manner he was. I just found all the spin at the time making out the move was do do with Gunn seniors job and even stating that Gunn jnr would have to find a new NW club a bit insulting.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do believe it because I don''t imagine that any club would go to the effort you are talking about to sign a 14 year old goal keeper who might or might not be any good. Gunn works for Triple S Sports and Entertainment Group and scouts young talent for the agency to sign - not a job handed to someone in connection to a transfer of a young player (I''m not sure how Man City would land Gunn a job at a sports agency anyway?).

I would imagine the transfer of young Gunn to Man C was known about before Gunn''s move was announced but then I imagine Gunn Snr knew about his move to the NW long before it was announced too.

[/quote]

And his brick removed or defaced on the wall of the stand.

I dont see any room for complaint. If as they will be next year Man City were a category 1 academy ( even if we were as well ) the fee would have been but a few thousand pounds.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do believe it because I don''t imagine that any club would go to the effort you are talking about to sign a 14 year old goal keeper who might or might not be any good. Gunn works for Triple S Sports and Entertainment Group and scouts young talent for the agency to sign - not a job handed to someone in connection to a transfer of a young player (I''m not sure how Man City would land Gunn a job at a sports agency anyway?).

I would imagine the transfer of young Gunn to Man C was known about before Gunn''s move was announced but then I imagine Gunn Snr knew about his move to the NW long before it was announced too.

[/quote]

Well maybe i''m just becoming an old cynic then but i would think that given the way football works and the amount of money that gets banded about its not that outlandish to think that in order to bag themselves a decent young goalkeeping prospect for their client list and oil the wheels for a possible move to a big club suddenly rolling in money a football agency might find some scouting work in the area for that young player''s dad, particularly when he happens to be an ex professional footballer with a bit of a grudge against his son''s current club. Sort of money you are talking about to keep Gunny in a bit of work is peanuts compared to the possible benefits plus you never know he might manage to find a few other players for them.

I wonder which of Stetford, Sheppard and Sheppard is young Angus''s agent?

Anyway at the end of the day after what happened with his disastrous management effort probably for the best for all concerend for Gunny to make a fresh start somewhere else. We are doing pretty well without him and i''m sure the family Gunn are all very happy up north.

It appears some people simply won''t let go of their ill-feeling towards one of Norwich City''s true legends; mind you, it says rather more about the mentality of his critics than Bryan himself.

£250k for Gunn junior is a useful sum - hardly peanuts is it? (It''s around 3-and-a-half months salary for David McNally!)

[/quote]

I would have thought that he would have moved to anywhere to get away from the undeserved flack he was getting from people who call themselves supporters so you can hardly blame him for wanting to steer his son away from all the crap that he had had to put up with.

Don''t blame Gunny for moving away at all.

He''s perfect as an advisor and mentor-type figure for young players. He''ll do very well in that role and those who he works with will prosper under him.

The fee for Angus is vert reasonable-at the moment there''s no absolute guarantee that even Steer or Rudd will "make it" at the highest level, let alone Angus-but suspect he has a fighting chance.

[/quote]

Something Like

Golden Hucks club

Correct me if I''m wrong, but Bryan Gunn wasn''t actually that amazing a keeper was he?

Obviously, I admire his bravery and commitment to City, his amazing charity work, and I''ll never forget his brave, heroic performance in the 2-1 win over QPR the week after his daughter passed.

However, he wasn''t our greatest keeper of all time was he? Weird positioning, unforced error prone, slow to get down to low shots, average distribution....The Froiday Fillums that are from his era only serve to reinforce this.

Like I say, maybe I''m wrong but I don''t particuarly care that his son''s not in the queue behind Rudd, Ruddy and the other one.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

It appears some people simply won''t let go of their ill-feeling towards one of Norwich City''s true legends; mind you, it says rather more about the mentality of his critics than Bryan himself.

[/quote]

Have to agree, why do people have to be so nasty, Bryan did loads for this club in the many years that he worked here, he''s a great person and I''ll always think of him fondly as will the majority of decent fans.

Let''s be sensible here, this is a perfectly good deal for us which with the add-ons could go over £500kMany good U21 keepers fail as they get older and end up dropping down the leagues into relative obscurity.To put this into some sort of perspective, look how much Derby paid Blackburn for Frank Fielding - £400k, and that was for a former England U21 keeper with much more experience than Angus has got.

Mike Walker,

I correct you. You are wrong. (and with a name like that, you really should know...)

He was good enough to play in goal for a team that finished 5th, 4th and 3rd in English football''s top tier.

He was a really good shot-stopper and an excellent marshall of his defence. And he was a crucial part of the spirit of those wonderful teams that gave us all so much pleasure. When he got injured, we got relegated.

His management tenure was a disaster, and he should never have been appointed, but to denigrate his keeping is to rewrite history.

Oh, and he was ahead of his time as a footballing goalkeeper. Nowadays, all keepers have to be reasonably comfortable with the ball at their feet, but Gunn coped better than most with the change of the back pass rule. His dummy round Lee Chapman at Elland Road during the season we finished third sticks in my mind nearly 20 years later.

Fair dues, all I can recall from reading in his autobiog is stuff about getting leathered at away games and some guff about headbutting an Oxford player at half time.

My grandad never rated him and I reckon his venom has influenced my thinking too much. I reckon you''re spot on about teamwork and defence marshalling.

[quote user="mikewalker"]

Correct me if I''m wrong, but Bryan Gunn wasn''t actually that amazing a keeper was he?

Obviously, I admire his bravery and commitment to City, his amazing charity work, and I''ll never forget his brave, heroic performance in the 2-1 win over QPR the week after his daughter passed.

However, he wasn''t our greatest keeper of all time was he? Weird positioning, unforced error prone, slow to get down to low shots, average distribution....The Froiday Fillums that are from his era only serve to reinforce this.

Like I say, maybe I''m wrong but I don''t particuarly care that his son''s not in the queue behind Rudd, Ruddy and the other one.

[/quote]you clearly arent old enough to have seen Bryan in any stage of his career with us.. even when he lost his place in the first team as injury caught up with him he still came in and played a blinder, i remember a 1-0 win against Forest at Carrow road where we some how scored then preceeded to give up.. it was 11 vs Gunn that day and he won it for us.the thing that makes me just a little bit sad is that Bryan Gunn has never been given the farewell he deserves from Norwich fans, his last game as a player was a 3-2 defeat at Gresty Road, Crewe and his management tenure ended in disaster.An international Goalkeeper, who played in 2 FA cup semi finals, Finished 3rd in the premiership, came back from horrid personal tragedy and was part of a club that is still the ONLY British side to have won on Munich, and a goalkeeper who saved 13 penalties in his career from some of the best players of the modern age (Ian Wright, Gary McAllister to name but a few)Forget Gunn the manager and remember Gunn the player.. because we havent had anyone as good since...I might have rose tinted glasses on but during the early 90''s I dont think there was a better goalkeeper in this country, at a time when Grobelaar, Schmeichel, Woods and Shilton were all playing.

It was telling that no other club ever came in for Gunn, if he was that good he''d have been off as soon as Chase saw the cheque.

Southall, all the ones you''ve listed, Tim Flowers, even Thorsvelt, Srnicek (sp? Newc), Spink, Bosnic, Pressman, Crossley were all acer than Gunn.

He was average, it was only the Simon Tracey experience and Mark Walton''s occasional cameo''s that made him seem so good.

Even Daz Beckford kept a clean sheet at Sheff Utd one game.

No other club came in for him? They did, Tottenham asked about him more than once when he was at his peak here, circa 1988-1992.

Rangers also wanted to take him back to Scotland at one point-he had nearly joined them from Aberdeen initially, before coming here after they bought Woods-from us. They certainly asked about Gunny in around 1991 as well.

And a club not getting offers for a player hardly means that they aren''t good enough-we didn''t exactly have idiots in selecting the team when he was first choice keeper, the likes of Brown, Stringer and Walker wouldn''t have picked Gunn if they thought him merely "average".

Sometimes good players just want to stay where they are-Keelan was here from 1963-1980, do no other clubs coming in for him at all in that time mean he wasn''t up to much either? There is a story mind-could be an urban myth!-that Man Utd did ask abour him at one point and John Bond told them he (Keelan) wasn''t interested-without ever mentioning it to Keelan himself!

As for Gunn himself, one stand out game is the away win at 1989 demonstrates a very good goalkeeper playing at his peak. A goalie short of outstanding wouldn''t have had that game or made some of the stops he made in that game and plenty of others.

I certainly don''t remember anyone moaning about Gunn the player at the time-but maybe some that do weren''t born then? Comments about his time as a Manager are a separate matter, but Gunn the player? No cause for complaint or dismissal in easy hindsight.

I heard he was on his way out of the City when he heard the bells of St. Peter Mancroft telling him to come back because he would be Lord Mayor.

Gunny was a big personality player and served us well in that capacity. After retirement the Club gave him work and he was known as a Mr. Norwich. I thought he was going to be a Forbes type. The manager job should have been only to the end of the season Roeder had scuppered; to go beyond that was unfair to the Club and to Gunn.

The dismissal of Gunn was never going to be easy. Sometimes it is less painful to pull a sticking plaster off quickly and I like to think this was how McNally made his decision to act so decisively. It was also not very Norwich City.

I can only go by what I saw of Gunn in the media afterwards but he struck me as being a little bitter. At the end of the day he should know the Club is more important than any individual and the decision has been vindicated.

I cannot believe Gunn moved to Manchester just for a job that happened to be near where his son was to join a football academy.