Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

If only....

the defence had made half the mistakes they have made, collectively, we would be pushing the top teams hard.

Another two yesterday - one by Whitbread/Surman and a failure to operate the off-side trap properly. It goes on and on, sometimes in a v ery  good  defensive performance marred by just one or two errors. How many goals have we gifted this season, one third perhaps?

I don''t know the reason - lack of concentration, of leadership in the defence. I wonder if even PL knows the reason(s). Surely the coaches could have drilled them by now. The fact is that we have conceded too many goals to be happy, and a fair proportion have been gifts to the very good players we have played against.

What do we do about it? We probably need to acquire a CB with skill, drive and experience. I don''t see us doing it in January - there are too few within our budget, and with other clubs, including the Vidic- less Manure, looking I don''t rate our chances.

In the end probably all we do is to try to stop some of the mistakes, and hope that our own scoring continues unabated. until the summer.

i get the impression that the defenders are taking it in turns to make a crucial mistake. having watched last weeks nasri goal, i put that down to tierney pulling out of heading the ball away and wrong footing ruddy, not ruddy''s fault on this occasion.

Given the squad that was promoted, the amount of money Lambert has spent, and the fact you can honestly say are luck has been at best neutral.....we should be standing in awe looking at that frickin table.

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]Given the squad that was promoted, the amount of money Lambert has spent, and the fact you can honestly say are luck has been at best neutral.....we should be standing in awe looking at that frickin table.[/quote]rted

Yep spot on.  We started yesterday with our championship team plus Morrison and  Naughton, it`s amazing we got anywhere near a good Prem team let alone beating them 4:2.  We made loads of mistakes at the back last season but just got away with them because of the  quality of the opposition, I  think we have tightened up a hell of a lot since last year but the players are still learning. Yes ok Whitbread and Surman did make a mistake yesterday for the second goal, but to be fair it still needed a lot of  finishing and Ba is sheer class IMO.

In the championship we may well have not conceded from the second mistake. The first goal was sheer class. Sadly at this level you can defend to the best of your ability and still concede a goal. That''s why this is the best league in the world.

It''s amazing that Swansea do not have household names in their backine, yet eyve kept 7 clean sheets (I think) already this season. How do they defend differently to us? Or do they play a more defensive minded game?

[quote user="Largey24"]It''s amazing that Swansea do not have household names in their backine, yet eyve kept 7 clean sheets (I think) already this season. How do they defend differently to us? Or do they play a more defensive minded game?[/quote]

Regretably I think they have a better keeper!

]It''s amazing that Swansea do not have household names in their backine, yet eyve kept 7 clean sheets (I think) already this season. How do they defend differently to us? Or do they play a more defensive minded game? Regrettably I think they have a better keeper!

Sadly I have to agree with you Largey, but by the same token, he hasn`t embarrassed himself, or us.

We would all like to see a world class keeper, which Voor has shown himself to be, but if you watch Morison`s header, and indeed Holt`s, we have some bloody good strikers.

[quote user="Largey24"]It''s amazing that Swansea do not have household names in their backine, yet eyve kept 7 clean sheets (I think) already this season. How do they defend differently to us? Or do they play a more defensive minded game?[/quote]

But we have scored eight more goals than them and have two more points.

Our styles are different, both Swansea and us have kept the styles from last season, they keep the ball for long periods playing possession football where we play a more open game. I do agree that with the other poster their keeper is very very good but I''m not too worried about clean sheets we didnt keep too many last season either, aslong as we always look like we have a few goals in us.

Swansea have failed to score in 7 games this season (most in the league), we have FTS in only 2 (WBA & Man u). Just highlights the different styles.

We''re doing great.  Don''t give me that "if only" stuff.We''re well up the league and there are areas we can point to that we can still improve on.That''s a very positive situation to be in and we should be pleased there are things we can work on that will make us even better.The whole team are learning - from goalkeeper to strikers. That''s how PL has set the team up for the premiership.The best thing we can do is keep off the players backs and understand the process that is going on - and watch them improve!

[quote user="Webbo118"]

But we have scored eight more goals than them and have two more points.

[/quote]

That''s the point Webbo.[Y]

Those seven clean sheets haven''t got Swansea " pushing the top teams hard." In fact we''re closer.

I think sometimes it''s a case of wanting something we haven''t got. Last season it was worrying about our second striker not scoring. Posters were happy with the amount of goals we scored but felt it would be better if the second striker scored rather than the right back!

I think it''s either that or Rudolph''s answer[;)]