Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

Rowan (sorry! Martin) Atkinson - See what I did there?

Another of the Premier League Reffing ''big hitters''. Struts around showing an almost uninterested air about the game.

Early in the game missed the chance of booking Ameobi after having comitted the foul he had the cheek to stand and argue about it while waving his arms about. Atkinson should have booked him there and then, it took an eternity to move the wall back, and we still had only 1 minute of extra time at the end of the first half. It took him over that to get the wall back never mind the time wasted speaking to Shola.

Arms - they are the things on the end of those long things called arms. Some comedian near me shouted ''Ref you need lessons in basic Biology'' - brilliant! Missed and arm stretched out at head height stopping a cross. Blocking a cross at that height is a certain penalty, why else would you have it that high?

Shirt pulling - Missed a blatant shirt pull right in front of the Barclay. There should be only one outcome from that.

I would like to see how Rowan Atkinson would have reacted to either of those incidents if Newcastle had done them in front of the Stretford End. I would imagine his terror at what Sir Alex would say would have guaranteed 2 penalties. these decisions are supposed to even out over the season but I see no sign of that happening, just more going against us.

I believe it was Gutierrez who cynically flattened Naughton off the ball in the second half. Surprise surprise, Atkinson wasn''t even looking, what made it even worse was the fact the assistant that side didn''t see it either, it was well worth a yellow. There were several times that Atkinson appered not to be watching play, possibly wrapped up thinking about his own legendary status.

Rowan Atkinson - A quality comedy performance 3

Waz - I read these every week, and I think practicaly every single game you give the ref a score of around 3 and absolutely slate them. Do you think they are terrible refs, or does it just highlight how difficult the job is? I only ask because the Soccer saturday boys were sat discussing the Fulham v Liverpool game, and having sat there and watched the replays several teams, they still couldnt decide on a few decisions. The main one being the foul on Adam towards the end, where some were adamant it was a sending off, Le Tiss saying it was never a sending off in a million years. If ''Experts'' can sit and watch a decision several times, and still not agree, surely the referee is never going to keep people happy?

For what its worth I thought the ref was fine today bar the penalty, although for that I would apportion far more blame to the linesman.

Forgot to add, I thought the Newcastle players talked him into booking Crofts, after the incident with Ameobi. All the other cards and the sending off were pretty much spot on. After finally booking Shola, I was disappointed that he didn''t speak to him after comitting another poor challenge - when most players would have been thinking ''Am I going to go here?''

But, all in all still a poor performance from one of the Premier Leagues ''top refs''.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

Waz - I read these every week, and I think practicaly every single game you give the ref a score of around 3 and absolutely slate them. Do you think they are terrible refs, or does it just highlight how difficult the job is? I only ask because the Soccer saturday boys were sat discussing the Fulham v Liverpool game, and having sat there and watched the replays several teams, they still couldnt decide on a few decisions. The main one being the foul on Adam towards the end, where some were adamant it was a sending off, Le Tiss saying it was never a sending off in a million years. If ''Experts'' can sit and watch a decision several times, and still not agree, surely the referee is never going to keep people happy?

For what its worth I thought the ref was fine today bar the penalty, although for that I would apportion far more blame to the linesman.

[/quote]

You may think I''m being harsh. If the clubs were to mark the Refs (and in the not too distant past they used to), I would think a world class performance would get an 8.5. Perhaps I expect too much, but I think these guys who should be at the top of their game are not delivering.

Should that not have been 2 penalties? They are big big decisions and the impact of missing them usually means the marks get hammered. [;)]

I agree that a lot of mistakes get made, but when you are up against fans who will always be completely biased towards their own team, and pundits who still disagree on decisions having seen several replays, it seems like an impossible task?

I actually dont know what the second penalty you mention was about. I saw the blatant handball, but cant remember a second incident (Was watching on a stream so theres a chance I missed it - Will watch MOTD tonight if they show it, which I doubt)

Of course it''s a difficult job Trent, but the ref today really was poor. He gave us a free kick on the edge of the box after about ten minutes or so and when Ameobi had stopped whinging he strode out the ten yards for the wall to get back. The wall went back 9 yards and refused to move back to where the ref was standing. At this point the ref should have INSISTED that they move back the ten yards, but instead he gave up and walked away. At this point he had lost control of the match. This is nothing to do with an incident which happened quickly which he only saw once from one angle - it was basic appalling man management.

I seem to remember you saying you''re a ref Wazzock? So I put more trust in your judgement than I would of most wearing yellow and green spectacles on here. If not, just ignore my ramblings....

Waz - Ricardo on his thread thinks that the Holt over-head in the second half was a nailed on penalty, but you have not mentioned it. Again I did not think that was a penalty as his arms were not out-stretched and it was definitely ball to hand, but then I had the benefit of a few replays on that one. I am assuming that was not the second penalty you were referring to?

Thirsty Lizard - I agree, it happens in every single game at practically every free kick in shooting distance. Hopefully refs will start to have the nerve to book players for refusing to acknowledge the 10 yards, but if players were booked for this then the fans and manager would end up criticizing any ref brave enough to do it. Seem to recall we went through a period of refs moving free kicks forward 10 yards for players not moving back, but that seemed to die a quick death.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Hopefully refs will start to have the nerve to book players for refusing to acknowledge the 10 yards, but if players were booked for this then the fans and manager would end up criticizing any ref brave enough to do it.[/quote]Wasn''t this the reason for Wessis booking today, I certainly didn''t see any other infringement?

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Hopefully refs will start to have the nerve to book players for refusing to acknowledge the 10 yards, but if players were booked for this then the fans and manager would end up criticizing any ref brave enough to do it.[/quote]

Wasn''t this the reason for Wessis booking today, I certainly didn''t see any other infringement?
[/quote]

I was more referring to close range free kicks where a wall is set, the ref marks out 10 yards, and the wall inevitably ends up less than 10 yards. For stopping quick free kicks yellow cards do often get given.

Rowan Atkinson - spot on!  Infact, he could also have been Rowan Williams because he is a top Bishop!

This was a weak performance by a ref happy to stand and be lectured by Ameobi and Ba while purportedly calling them over to remind them who is in charge.

His assistants didn''t help him at all, and he put himself into a situation where he HAD to get his book out for offences not deserving a booking.

He could have booked Martin right after the handball he didn''t give and the fact he didn''t suggested to me he knew he had it wrong.

Overall, too many errors to mention. Thanks for your thoughts Wazzy, really like this weekly thread.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Hopefully refs will start to have the nerve to book players for refusing to acknowledge the 10 yards, but if players were booked for this then the fans and manager would end up criticizing any ref brave enough to do it.[/quote]Wasn''t this the reason for Wessis booking today, I certainly didn''t see any other infringement?[/quote]I thought the Hoolahan booking was one of the worst decisions of the lot (and there were quite a lot). How''s he supposed to get out of the way of a quick free-kick that''s been blasted straight at him, only a second or two after it''s been given?? Hardly seemed like a deliberate attempt to slow down play.

[quote user="barclaystand"]Waz, a very good summary of a very crap ref.

Keep the reviews coming, always a good read!
[/quote]

By quite some distance, the worst of the season so far (and that really is saying something !)

I''ve seen very complementry comments from waz on his ref write ups.

As a fellow referee, I always read his comments with great interest, didn''t think Martin Atkinson had a particularly good game to be honest, the corner from our first goal was never a corner, you will not see a more blatant hand ball by santon and the game was littered with needless yellow and one debatable red card.

A referee who is on the list for champs league games? Don''t make me laugh

I started this idea as a different angle on the game. I go to the match as a City fan, but as an ex-Ref I can''t help but watch what the officials do during the game. It is intended to spark debate - I don''t get it all right and bearing in mind I try to put it up within a short time after the game I don''t have the benefit of any replays, it''s all done from memory and how I read it. It''s nice to hear that some agree but equally nice to hear people disagree as we all see it differently, and there are no ''rights or wrongs'' just differing opinions!

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

I started this idea as a different angle on the game. I go to the match as a City fan, but as an ex-Ref I can''t help but watch what the officials do during the game. It is intended to spark debate - I don''t get it all right and bearing in mind I try to put it up within a short time after the game I don''t have the benefit of any replays, it''s all done from memory and how I read it. It''s nice to hear that some agree but equally nice to hear people disagree as we all see it differently, and there are no ''rights or wrongs'' just differing opinions!

[/quote]

Agreed - please do keep them coming. Always one of the regular threads I look for on a Saturday night.

I agree it''s good to get Both those who agree and disagree with you waz (after all that''s what a discussion forum is all about)

But when a referee has such an obviously poor match as he did and someone accuses you of always giving bad marks it must be frustrating.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]I agree it''s good to get Both those who agree and disagree with you waz (after all that''s what a discussion forum is all about) But when a referee has such an obviously poor match as he did and someone accuses you of always giving bad marks it must be frustrating.[/quote]

I have reffed, and you are a Ref, so we must know all about bad marking!!!

The game you Ref and have a blinding match and in the last minute give a stonewall penalty, which goes in and that team lose. Coming off the pitch at the end you hear the players from the team who lost saying, ''never a penalty give him 2''. [:D]

bad refs are not aided by bad linesmen. many seem afraid to make a decision on anything they have seen in case it upsets the ref. i wonder if, in the officials room before the game, the ref tells the linos to let him make the decisions.

[quote user="star_manic"]bad refs are not aided by bad linesmen. many seem afraid to make a decision on anything they have seen in case it upsets the ref. i wonder if, in the officials room before the game, the ref tells the linos to let him make the decisions.[/quote]

Very good point.

I have experienced some Refs who want you to give them everything you see, and other who want to make all the decisions!

So what level are you currently Waz? I''m only a 7

I know what you mean by the ''one decision'' can make or break a referee''s marks.

I''ve had some games in my time I can tell you, whilst at university, I refereed a team full of black players v. a team full of Asian players, very interesting to say the least. Let''s just say you could''ve wrote a book with the report I had to write at the end.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]So what level are you currently Waz? I''m only a 7 I know what you mean by the ''one decision'' can make or break a referee''s marks.[/quote]

I no longer Ref.

I did have over 22 years of Reffing reached the old Class 1 and then Level 5 when the gradings changed. Sadly following an injury sustained at work (I have slipped 3 discs and loosened several others) I will never be able to go back to it.