Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

The Pink Un message board - end of an era?

Seeing as this is the most popular section of the message board I thought i would post this here (pete please leave this so people can discuss

Why has this message board gone downhill in recent months? I may be wrong but numbers have been dwindling and although there is still some activity it''s on a downward turn. And for me the writing is on the wall when you have some trolls trying to take over the board. But that''s just my opinion!

It used to be thriving with activity but there seems to be a lot of people missing now, is it me or are we coming to the end of the line for Internet message boards now?

In an ever changing world of Facebook and twitter where everything is quicker, are we metophoric cavemen by still using this board?

Don''t get me wrong I know there are other message boards who get one thread a week, but this message board used to be so much better (I''m sure I''m not alone in my thoughts)

So, the future? Do we convert to the world of Facebook? (I know pink Un has both facebook and twitter accounts but I mean using these on a full time basis) or does anyone else have any bright ideas.

Unofficial forums come and go, indeed the official message board has gone. So again the writing is on the wall for me, but when will this inevitable change happen is really down to us. This is a useful forum for many of us especially those (like me) who no longer live in Norwich. I find it an incrediable ''tool'' for keeping in the loop with fellow Norwich fans and having sensible and good debate with them whilst having some laughs on the way!!

So what''s your opinion? Do you see, like me a downturn or do you still think this board is ''current'' and will be here for the foreseeable? Only we the Pink Uners can assure that

The people on this message board are very cruel and cynical. Every time i post something it ends up being a very hurtful experience.

There is a clear hierarchy in the board and if your are not in the ''little club'' you are victimised.

Agreed JJ that''s why we need to fight back. Join me in driving them away so we can start a board all over again?

I agree with the OP about the nature of this message board is going downhill. 3 or so years ago this place was thriving with interesting debates and conversation, now it seems to be full of arguments, hostility and some quite evil things being said to people who are simply voicing an opinion.

I''m wondering if it has anything to do with times being good now. In our relegation seasons this board was heaving, since we''ve been on the up and succeeded in back to back promotions it seems to be very quiet around here.

Much like myself, I imagine a lot of people are posting less and less as a result.

OP Is correct as so is JJ, also Pete has his favorites on here, who are allowed to post what they like, where as others will be deleted for posting simular threads/posts... this is one of the reasons i like to stir it up!!

It has become a particularly aggressive fans forum, especially as we are all supposed to have the same thing in common!

Having contrary views to another should provoke debate/discussion and, ideally, respect for the views of someone else, even if you don''t agree with them. But if you go against a popular view at the time then you''re fair game and given stick at best, abuse at worst.

Look at the current debate re.Gunny, also, and ongoing, pro Delia et al vs anti Delia et al. Likewise the way Robert Chase has been championed by some which has resulted in condemnation from others. Disagreement is fine, fair argument likewise, but it goes far beyond that and you eventually see people claiming that they are "better" Norwich fans than others, for one reason or another, and, in doing so, dishing it out, big time, to those they disagree with.

No wonder people have backed off and left the board, it is *only* a football message board, in the bigger scheme of things it is not important and its easy enough for anyone to support the club in the way that they want and with the views that they choose without being part of this or any other (WOTB is equally aggressive at times and has recently been dominated by online handbags between some posters) messageboard.

A new forum could easily be started (the infamous WACCOE was a ''splinter'' forum created by Leeds fans who wanted to break away from another for exactly the same reasons, but it is now as clique-ridden and confrontational as the one they all left, it even makes new members post on a separate forum away from the ''main'' one until they are deigned ready to join the big boys!) but who''s to say it wouldn''t turn into Pink Un II eventually!!

We logs in and we take our choice.

[quote user="JJ"]The people on this message board are very cruel and cynical. Every time i post something it ends up being a very hurtful experience. There is a clear hierarchy in the board and if your are not in the ''little club'' you are victimised.[/quote]

Then come on over to http://www.carrowroad.net/carrow/index.php 

What you complain of JJ simply doesn''t happen on there.

Yeah it is a very negative/aggressive place.

Know one seems to know what an opinion is any more, I may be guilty of this at times as well, but when someone posts something saying something like ''Holt deserves to start ahead of Morison'' and someone disagrees, what that person should be doing is saying why they don''a agree, instead far too often people seem to just throw out insults, or silly little comments etc.

But JJ, it isn''t just this forum. Its people in general, especially online. Its very easy to insult someone you don''t know online, because there are no consequences.

This forum isn''t going to suddenly stop running, its still going to be here. It could be brought up a level, if some of the old regular posters start posting regularly again.

And this whole idea of a ''hierarchy'' and there being some kind of secret club, its a load of rubbish. I''m not part of a secret club, but I don''t get victimised.

There are some people on here who know each other in the real world, so that could be what your referring too, but people moaning they get preferential treatment, well that just sounds wrong to me.

Some people did get victimised Gingerpele. Guess others have taken their place. Remember the mass exodus of posters at the start of the season? Not fogetting WITS'' blog too. I always enjoyed that. I hardly post these days. Too much in-fighting by a number of posters. Too many threads and posts getting pulled.I can think of 20 - 30 posters I used to enjoy reading although I didn''t always agree with them but they have vanished.

Forums aren''t on the way out OP, certainly not. Many, many forums have huge amounts of activity. This one is going downhill for other reasons (if indeed it is actually going downhill).Unfortunately, this forum is filled with 11-page threads, where 8 of which involve usual culprits arguing amongst one another. Not debating, arguing. Insulting, being abusive. How many times do the likes of Nutty Nigel, Til, Mr Carrow, Tangy etc all end up arguing over such ridiculous things? On the plus side, they do keep the forum active [:D].I haven''t seen lots of personal insults when people have just given their opinion, unless it''s a blatantly stupid opinion. For example, if you''re going to criticise Surman, then say Bradley Johnson isn''t good enough and Holt should play Centre-Mid, you should expect to receive a little bit of flack, simply because it is just really, really stupid.Whats worse is when people then bring up these insults. Sometimes Ginger Pele gets a bit of flack he perhaps doesnt deserve after he posts, but he tends to reply with a "Whyyy are you piccccking on meeeee [:(]" like we''re in Primary School.It''s an online forum, people are going to have different opinions and some people may seem to offend you, whether they intend it or not is almost irrelevant. What does matter is how you deal with it. Don''t get into a hissy fit about it, just ignore. There''s probably plenty of 14 year old kids who mainly support Arsenal on this forum - and some of you older gentlemen probably get wound up by them day after day.The moderation on this forum before was frustrating, having to post then wait for a moderator to authorise it. That''s very behind the times. I do think, however, that threads should be pulled more regularly, when the usual lot start bickering amongst themselves. Can they not just Facebook-chat each other or something?

I still enjoy looking through the board usually on a daily basis. I am guilty as many for sometimes posting/adding to a thread to stir it up a bit but I still thinks its a good way of getting a feel of peoples opinions. I think the key is not to take it too seriously.

Personally I cannot stand Facebook or Twitter but I believe strongly in market forces. This board will survive or die depending simply on quality and demand.

Can''t remember when I joined - it''ll say on the left once I''ve posted this - but people have been complaining about the board going downhill ever since. And yes, I know there''s a joke in there somewhere.

Personally I would like to see a personalised filter system introduced, so my version of the message board would automatically delete the posts of the idiots I disagree with. You can probably work out who they are.

To be honest, things really started going downhill when Mr Chops had his baby. He''s been grumpy and unfunny ever since.

I think its made Mr Chops funnier. Having a baby evidently makes you far more cynical.We see less of him, but when he makes an appearance it''s normally quite good!

''Poster Activity'' is related to the teams performance - There are always more threads/posts when we are doing either amazingly well, or really poorly.However when we are mid-table, plodding along and doing Ok, there seems to be less to discuss.So this coupled with tedious posts from the same members is making the Pink''un a very sad place.

I used to go on the official ncfc board, until it began to lose good quality posters and the topics of interest began to dwindle.

I would say there is less activity on here from people actually posting but I do know people that genuinely just observe. I am a bit behind in the times ,but this is very much a medium that has remained the same since its beginning, it could do with an update but no chance of that happening. Hence I think why there will always be alternative boards and mediums to respond.

There is no question that with less games that there are less talking points. I feel that this season with the international breaks it has stopped the flow of topics and actually alot are now the same issues in regard to our best team. There are very few stories on the pinkun and EDP that can offer debate becasue as a football club we don''t have much more going on until gameday. But maybe that is a good thing as we haven''t had stadium sponsorship issues, managerial outing requests and player issues. We have been relatively settled we don''t give the media too much away, we are trying to go under the radar and get that 17th place, I have no problem with that and the fact that at the moment no news is good news if we look at the examples above.

No question when the January window opens then conversation will hot up and with so many games in this month it will bring debate. I think we can all see opportunities for us in the window and know it will be another possible opportunity for a statement of intent.

Of course there will be postings after the game on Saturday, certainly a game where I think we have a good chance to really express our attacking ability against a weakened defence. It does seem that reports out of Newcastle suggest that Coloccini may be able to play, but I think he may not be so keen on being rattled by Morison and Holt. 

I''m not sure it''s the end of the Pink''un messageboard but I know what you mean.Since the reorganisation many posters have not returned although I fear it was heading that way before then.There seems to be a proliferation of (seemingly) younger posters whose opinion is as valid as the next man on an internet message board but who do sometimes disagree a bit too vehemently if heaven forbid somebody disagrees with their opinion.There are alas, still the "usual suspects/inner circle" who seem to have their own agenda as the sell-outs thread will testify.If you think this part of the messageboard is bad, you ought to take a look at the non-football forum. There used to be some good discussions and a decent bunch over there, these days it''s  the internet equivalent of a deserted western town with tumbleweed blowing down the street.I guess ultimately it''s a moving, changing, evolving thing and at the end of the day we can choose to shape it or sit back and let it happen without our input.

[quote user="Gingerpele"] .......it isn''t just this forum. Its people in general, especially online. Its very easy to insult someone you don''t know online, because there are no consequences. [/quote]Not quite true GP.One high profile poster who no longer posts ended up in a spot of bother one Saturday in Norwich because of something he''d written on here. I also read somewhere that there''d been a big falling out between a couple of people on a non-football related forum over religion.One tracked the other down to his home address and ended up in court on a GBH charge.Perhaps Pete can send us all a baseball bat in case anyone upsets us ?

The Non-football forum is the worst organisation i have ever seen on a public forum. They took it down temporarily as we all remember, where it was just one section, one set of threads etc.Categorising off a non-football forum is ridiculous in itself, but even moreso when you look at the numbers on this forum. If we had 100threads a day on non-football then fair enough, the reality is we get 2 or 3. I used to enjoy simply clicking ''Its not just football'' and i could see what was being discussed.Instead, non-football is limited to 3 or 4 different sub-sections. Clearly no-one at Archant has considered this from the users-aspect. Anyone who creates a forum, website or whatever...the first thing you should learn is that the user wants the least amount of clicks possible to get to where they want to be. Limiting the non-football forum, having to click 3 or 4 times just to get to the bloody thing just to end up in a section which has attained 2 threads in months is stupid. Put it back to how it was and we might actually get some decent debates going there!

I agree with the opening poster that the forum isn''t what it used to be, they may be loads of people reading it but there certainly aren''t loads posting on it. Think I posted something at 10am yesterday and it was only about 7 threads down mid afternoon and yet a year ago it would have been at the bottom of the page.

I think that the main reason is that the same people constantly argue and bait each other which turns a decent discussion into a 10 page bickering campaign to see who can have the last word.

Other than that there''s too many threads started which have nothing to do with ncfc which dont interest people who come on here to talk ncfc.

Thanks God (or Nutty) that we still have the free bet thread to keep people coming on here, otherwise it would be even quieter.

Shame really because after being a member for 7 years I''m sad to see how its gone downhill these past 2 seasons, you would have thought with things being so good on the pitch that people would be happy and play nicely but guess thats too much to ask for some of the adults on here.

Not sure what the answer is but come on everyone, if we don''t use it and sensibly, we might lose it and that would really be sad.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Yes Pete.  Please take note of Hogesar''s comments![/quote]Been meaning to lump the non-football back into one for a while. Will have a look this afternoon...

Also as an observation I wonder if it is time to have all the football on one thread. Both Norwich City related and non Norwich (maybe colour coordinate the font in the subject line to donate which if necessary).

Sometimes a decent non Norwich thread is started with some interest about FIFA for example and people comment and suggest things then all of a sudden it disappears to the Other Football thread. Then you look again a couple of days later and no one has responded.

I do agree the non football stuff should stay off the main page otherwise it will just end up like WOTB though.

I would stop people changing their username without putting their previous alias''s there. This seems to lead to people having a very strong opinion to the point of becoming annoying then changing - having a new name then fooling people by wiping the slate clean and doing the same again.

Maybe the cloak of usernames tends to make people more unpleasant on messageboards - on twitter people most of the time leave their real name which makes people a little more careful about what they say.

Usernames don''t really need to change do they?

I suppose there are some cases where you want to change it, and thats fine but it should perhaps be a rule that you have to put your previous username in your signature.

As for your first suggestion norfolkchance1, I think your right. This is a Norwich forum, but Norwich are a football team, and other football issues either directly or indirectly effect us. And very few people do go on the other football forum, so you post something on there and get a couple of replies. When it maybe deserves more and is something that can bring an interesting debate.

[quote user="JJ"]The people on this message board are very cruel and cynical. Every time i post something it ends up being a very hurtful experience.

There is a clear hierarchy in the board and if your are not in the ''little club'' you are victimised.[/quote]

This is exactly why I never bother posting here anymore. Peoples posts are a waste of time as people don''t take others seriously. Or just post hurtful and spiteful things for no apparent reason. This used to be a board of fruitful talk and debate, but now it has just become a barrage of cynical and crude remarks.

Also, due to the ''it''s not just football'' section being removed, again by people being crude and plain stupid, I feel no reason to post as the ''community'' feel has all but died.

So thanks, all of you who come on here hiding behind your Pink''un pseudonyms, for ruining it all for everyone else.