Sign in to follow this  
MAJESTIC

will we keep a clean sheet this season?

Who cares, I''m happy to keep the sheets dirty if we manage to stay up!

glad you''re so optimistic Largey i think we may after Jan when we have some new players brought in can''t see it anytime soon.

If we keep picking up points and avoid relegation it really does not matter if we dont.

But if we get relegated and we have not the probably it does

Yes.

But i''m not worried if we don''t.

I''ve always been of the opinion that it doesn''t matter how many you concede so long as you score at least one more. It''s points that win a title, very rarely is it goal difference. So long as we''re picking up points i don''t care.

It''s all a question of balance........1-0......2-1.......3-2They''re actually all the same - goal difference  wise.A clean sheet is admirable but 3-2 is going to give you the same goal difference as 1-0 and you still get three points and get a more entertaining game!2-0, 3-0, 4-0 - even better but not many clubs will achieve clean sheets and still score lots of goals as well.Be grateful we''re picking up points - still room for improvement, and thats good too.

Our last two seasons were not based upon clean sheet, we acheived success through a spirit of adventure, I''m not saying defence doesn''t matter just that it has been a ride and we seldom fail to score.

why the fascination with clean sheets?if we score 2 and the opposition score 1 we win.football is measured on wins, points and goal difference... winning 3-1 is worth the same as winning 2-0.... i dont care if we dont ever keep a clean sheet again!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]why the fascination with clean sheets?

if we score 2 and the opposition score 1 we win.

football is measured on wins, points and goal difference... winning 3-1 is worth the same as winning 2-0.... i dont care if we dont ever keep a clean sheet again!

[/quote]

Actually I would say winning 3-1 is better then 2-0 as goals scored is used when goal difference is the same

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]why the fascination with clean sheets?if we score 2 and the opposition score 1 we win.football is measured on wins, points and goal difference... winning 3-1 is worth the same as winning 2-0.... i dont care if we dont ever keep a clean sheet again!

[/quote]

Actually I would say winning 3-1 is better then 2-0 as goals scored is used when goal difference is the same

[/quote]a good point, and yet another good argument as to why clean sheets aren''t a concern

I would agree with the majority of posters here who are saying that it doesn''t really matter whether we keep a clean sheet or not. But that is based on our current attacking performance. If our attacking players go though a lean spell later in the season (which they undoubtedly will) then a couple of clean sheets may come in handy. I''m not too worried about it at the moment though.

We will keep a clean sheet this season. Paul Merson said on Sky after watching us against Wigan that we wouldn''t keep a clean sheet all season - and he''s never been right about anything.

[quote user="lake district canary"]- my naan says he''s a great goalkeeper  -  

[/quote]

And don''t tell me ; she''s raita ''bout everything...... but if  Ruddy keeps letting in soft goals  it might give her a coronary , especially if she''s got a dodgy tikka.

When we beat Swansea earlier this year I said they were certs for relegation with those two lumbering, statuesque centre halfs. Incredibly they have now recorded 8 clean sheets but 5 of these were goalless draws. I don''t know how they have done it but I sure as hell know which promoted team I would rather be watching and that is the one playing exciting football and scoring goals.

Yes, I`m happy that we are adopting a score more goals than the opposition policy, let`s just hope that we don`t go the way of Blackpool........who had 2 more points than we have this time last year.

"I`m happy that we are adopting a score more goals than the opposition policy"

Or perhaps this is actually the idea of the game, rather than it being some new policy adopted by us

Also, let me ask you this, a new poster comes to this messageboard, airs his views, and is swiftly put down by an existing user, is this the way to promote a healthy discussion surrounding our football club?

would you rather patronised you ?

just because you are a ''new'' poster does it mean your points aren''t as equally valid as anyone, be they an ''existing'' poster  or a new poster