Sign in to follow this  
BarclayCanary (Former HDDH)

Best Place To Go?

Just wondering what away game would you reccomend going too if you were going to do some shopping after/before the game and the day after?

Also what are the chances of getting tickets for me and the gf sitting beside each other to an away game this season?

Not talking about the likes of Man City etc just like Wolves or QPR etc :)?

Never been to an away game before, and since I have been driving for nearly a year wanted to give it a go :)

Thanks.

if it`s the girlfriend that wants to do a bit of shopping, then, even though you`ve said it`s out, manchester is a fantastic city. (i would say that, i`m from there!) no seriously, my mrs is from norwich and was blown away by the shops up there. plus the national football museum is up there now for you to go and have a look round.win-win situation!!. :)

oh and i forgot the `imperial war museum north` is at salford quays as well.

I''d say either Manchester or Birmingham are the best cities outside of London for shopping.  You''d struggle to get tickets for the Man City game, but Blackburn later in the season is just up the road from Manchester.  Loads of games around Birmingham coming up, Villa is sold out, but you''ve then got Wolves and West Brom.  Stoke is then halfway between the two later during 2012.

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Forget Wolves for a first away game, you need a bit of experience before you go there ![/quote]

Bit of experience for what?

If you mean driving I do about 3000 miles a month lol, and have already been on a pretty long journey,

If you mean the shitty fans/stadium and team then meh will be fine.

Personally I''d say West Brom although I have no idea what the shopping is like. I''m lucky, Mrs Martian also goes to away games with me but it''s to support the team, not to spend my money [:)]

as has been mentioned, you don`t have to go see city to stay in manchester, i can`t remember who you`ve played so far, but both wigan and bolton are within greater manchester. you could easily stay anywhere in the city/metropolitan area, and blackburn is about 40 minutes drive from the northern edge of the conurbation. all motorway as well.

Birmingham has got the Bullring and surrounding area which is pretty good for shopping. I''ve never been shopping in Manchester - but I''d say Birmingham would be better for Liverpool personally (think I saw you mention Everton above).

So I''d say Wolves or West Brom. West Brom is about 20 minutes out of Birmingham centre, Wolves a little bit longer. Might be an early start to fit some shopping in before hand though - it''ll be a good 3/3 and a half hours from Norwich!

What about Newcastle? You could both have a great day out , and then get stuck into their nightlife.

OR

Blindfold her (stick with me here - it''s all about the mystery), drive to Kings Lynn and back via the countryside and end up at a hotel near the centre of Norwich ( I dunno, say the one down Carrow Road for example) then she will have access to some great shopping (hopefully you would have taken the blindfold off by this point), and you will have the best atmosphere you could want at a game, and you''ll both be happy. :))))))

IMPORTANT ADVICE: Wolves is a Tues night just before Christmas. Birm city centre will be HORRENDOUSLY rammed with last minute shoppers, honestly it gets so packed you physically can''t move. So on that basis of your missus enjoying the shopping part I would go for WBA - ur missus might even catch the end of the sales as it''s on Jan 14th.

I''ll be going to Wolves and West Brom away, atmosphere with our fans is always top notch though! Hawthornes is literally just off the motorway and there is OK parking around the ground but a train from Bham New St is probably easier, leaving your car at the hotel or whatever. Bham New street is a 5minute walk from the Bullring too so probably works out for you logistically.

As an exile, it''s mainly away games I get to, and as I grew up about an hour from Birmingham - Wolves and WBA are 2 away games I usually get to as they''re quite local for me. I don''t think there is much in it in terms of atmosphere, Wolves fans tend to be bigger tossers than WBA fans but the baggies have their fair share of tw@ts too!!

If you''re looking to see an impressive ground then you''ll be disappointed - they are both pretty standard.

I will happily confirm that the Bullring and Birmingham City Centre are great for shopping. If you want to have a nice chilled evening I would suggest The Glee club - a stand up comedy venue in the City centre, very laid back, no dress code and a very pleasant atmosphere and they have top quality comedians too.

Hope that helps mate!!

If you book your tickets together then you should be sat together.

Dunno how popular Everton will be, nor WBA/Wolves for that matter so whether you can just phone up and book or whether it''s written applications will mean your chances of getting the tickets varies game by game! But if you apply/book together then you are highly unlikely to be seperated!

We seem to be going to ballot fairly regularly so it depends on whether you are ST holder/Member etc as to what category you''re in and therefore your priority level for tickets as to your chances in that scenario, if it''s general sale then keep an eye on the official website ticket news page and they will inform on there when the tickets go on sale..

I''ve managed to get a ticket for Villa and Bolton so far so it''s certainly not impossible!

Good luck!

You''re welcome mate, I''m supermember too so you''re in the same boat as me. To give you an idea of how likely you are to get tickets, Category 4 was successful for Chelsea away and Villa away, not sure about the others that went to ballot (Man U/Liverpool) but I''d guess if it''s written application then based on current evidence you''ll likely be successful. Everton away is too long a trip to go to written applications Id''ve thought... WBA might, but in Cat 4 you will likely get a couple!

Has to be Nu-Castle.

It''s a fairly compact City so everything is within easy walking distance.  Tons of places to eat, many with special offers on a lunch time.

However, given that we are now in the Premier League with all clubs being located in or around big Cities, you''ll find that 90 odd % of the shops are the same no matter where you go.

Not sure what you''re into, but Newcastle has lots of history, great architecture, there is quite a bit to do, The Laing Art Gallery, The Great North Museum (Hancock) and the Discovery Museum are all free entry too!

There''s not just the usual shops,there''s unusual shops and there''s also Fenwick''s which is a good department store.

Personally, I''d pray for an away tie against Ebbsfleet United in the FA Cup 3rd Round - drop the gf off at Bluewater and enjoy standing on an away terrace in a proper old fashioned footie ground.

I''ve never been but I would say out of those St James'' park is supposed to be the best - Big ground. Good atmosphere as the Newc fans are v passionate too, and to be fair the Geordies are some of the nicest people I''ve ever come across so Id imagine it to be a pleasant place to spend a weekend.

I would say QPR as i really like their old-school ground,but it is on the 2nd of January.Not sure if all the shops will be open on the bank holiday,but it is a great location with loads of places near or with a tube ride away.

Fulham later in the season maybe...