Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Grant Holt: Diminishing in My View

Grant Holt, for me, has clearly diminished.

Here is a player who keeps his fitness by playing competitive games - the more he has played for us the stronger he has become these past two seasons. So, what does he do when he is out of the side because of the system and the competition?

Holty has gone away and regrouped while setting an example to team-mates that even as Captain it is a squad game and he is not too big to be included or excluded. In the meantime, Russell Martin has himself shown an ''adapt and survive'' ethic. Not surprising that these are two of the biggest personalities in the Club.

But it is Holt''s battle that I find most interesting because he has clearly looked to his diet and his training and as a senior player, to change his ethos is remarkable. The evidence was there for all to see at Liverpool; Holty looks half a stone lighter and leaner.

The additional benefit of a resurgent Holt is pressure to perform on Morison who is a different player with a different skill set but who will see Holt as his competition for the lone striker berth in the present system.

The success Grant Holt has enjoyed the past two seasons has seen him remain bodily the same while aspiring players such as Fox, Martin, Hoolahan and Whitbread have clearly got in the gym and changed their physicality.

It is tough when you are naturally heavily built and 30 years old to make a change as Holt clearly has but he has recognised the requirements of the Premier League and seeks to attain them.

Dale Gordon did similarly in the past but history is littered with players who had the skill but lacked the desire and commitment, not least at Norwich City: Rivers and Croft spring readily to mind.

I need to get some weight off myself so Grant will be an inspiration - he might also make the ideal collaborator for Delia if she decides to write a dietary tome one day.

I thought you were being critical at first, but when I realised that you weren''t that was heavy load off my mind.  

Funny you should say that.  I thought he looked much leaner than he did a month back.  Conspiracy theorists could claim this is partly why he hasn''t made the first team,  he''s been on a Royal Marines fitness regime.

I agree, he''s clearly worked really hard behind the scenes and even better, he hasn''t come out and moaned in the press about not getting a game.  Perhaps on Saturday he''ll rough up Chris Samba, we''ll need some muscle up top to batter the neanderthals of Blackburn.

[quote user="paul moy"]I thought you were being critical at first, but when I realised that you weren''t that was heavy load off my mind.  [/quote]

Let''s hope he didn''t take his wife''s diet pills .[;)]

Seriously though, good on yer Holty. But watch how much you take off cos it''ll reduce yer power; it''s a fine balance to keep.

OTBC

Before the training started the whole squad was set targets to lower their weight and to maintain their fitness during close season. A Couple of players turned up with out meeting these targets, Holt was one of these and Lambert bullocked him for this and since then Holt has gone away and lost his weight and improved fitness.

[quote user="smiley"]Before the training started the whole squad was set targets to lower their weight and to maintain their fitness during close season. A Couple of players turned up with out meeting these targets, Holt was one of these and Lambert bullocked him for this and since then Holt has gone away and lost his weight and improved fitness.[/quote]

do you know what I had heard that rumour but thought it was just that, where did you hear that from?

Great post Rudolph.

I think we noticed a weight loss when he came on at Swansea. Holty is a credit to the game and his fellow professional footballers.

He transformed the game against Liverpool. Like quite a few on this board, I have been watching the yellas for a very long time. The only player I can remember to have this tremendous drive, character and leadership quality was Barry Butler. I cannot think of a better tribute.

What a career he has carved for himself. Well done Holty

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

I need to get some weight off myself so Grant will be an inspiration - he might also make the ideal collaborator for Delia if she decides to write a dietary tome one day.[/quote]Rudolph.....you could try a few laps of Mousehold Heath as favoured by Sgt Major Saunders c.1972 ( but check all your life insurance is in order first.)Regarding a diet book from Delia I expect MWJ is praying that idea stays very firmy on the back burner......[;)]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I need to get some weight off myself so Grant will be an inspiration - he might also make the ideal collaborator for Delia if she decides to write a dietary tome one day.[/quote]Delia Smith - "Prudence With Nutrition".

Think you are spot on here. You see many ex prem players (or slightly overweight players) play in the champ and bang in the goals with good service and a bit of nouse/experince yet none in the prem.I guess you can''t carry any excess weight in your team or gut in the prem. Holt has identified this and realised this and even though he will always bang in the goals if he gets good service he has realised he needs to be a complete forward to play rather than just a target man. Good on you Holt you really are a hero. For all my money you will finish right up their with our top goal scorers this season and be a huge part of getting a surprise finish in a uefa spot 

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Great post Rudolph. I think we noticed a weight loss when he came on at Swansea. Holty is a credit to the game and his fellow professional footballers. He transformed the game against Liverpool. Like quite a few on this board, I have been watching the yellas for a very long time. The only player I can remember to have this tremendous drive, character and leadership quality was Barry Butler. I cannot think of a better tribute. What a career he has carved for himself. Well done Holty[/quote]

Bury, I can''t speak to other players over the years who may have demonstrated the attributes you refer to but I absolutely agree with you about Barry Butler. Apart from admiring his consistency in matches I saw him many times in training and often think we were fortunate to have him. Holt is clearly a leader whether he is on the pitch or not. 

It was very apparent that Holt was thinner even watching him on the TV, which is notoriously unforgiving. He appears to have lost that trace of a double chin too. Shows great application, as he''s not built like the vast majority of the others in the team and it will be hard to shift even a small amount of weight.

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]Funny you should say that.  I thought he looked much leaner than he did a month back. 

Conspiracy theorists could claim this is partly why he hasn''t made the first team,  he''s been on a Royal Marines fitness regime.
[/quote]

No he''s been down in Colchester with my old Regiment, The Para''s.

What is most interesting about this thread is the number of posters who are willing to praise a professional athlete for losing excess timber after turning up for the biggest season of his career (in their opinion) overweight. What is even more staggering is that this is our captain we are talking about. Further evidence that believing in a ''talisman'' in extremely unhealthy.

Having said that he was excellent on Saturday. If he keeps performing to that level then I''ll be happy.

[quote user="Kidderminster Canary"]didn''t you see him against Liverpool, he was on fire.[/quote]haha. I was waiting for this

I thought this was slating him at first when I first read the title, I have to agree it seems like he has lost some weight and I am sure he is trying to lose even more.

He was amazing on Saturday and I am sure whoever is picked between Holt and Morison on Saturday will do a really good job.

Contirbution on the pitch - diminishing.

Status - will never dimish.

He delivered in our time of need, and continues to push Morison harder and harder. If he scores 8 goals this season, that will represent as big a return as any other he has made.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

What is most interesting about this thread is the number of posters who are willing to praise a professional athlete for losing excess timber after turning up for the biggest season of his career (in their opinion) overweight. What is even more staggering is that this is our captain we are talking about. Further evidence that believing in a ''talisman'' in extremely unhealthy.

Having said that he was excellent on Saturday. If he keeps performing to that level then I''ll be happy.

[/quote]

I don''t know all of the facts Shack ( and neither do you ) but your comments appear a little harsh given what Grant Holt has done in his time with Norwich. To my eyes last Saturday Holt looked slimmer than he has ever been in his time with Norwich. It is not an easy thing for some people ( including professional athletes ) to get down below the "normal" weight they have performed very well at for a number of years. Holt now appears to have done that and should be given nothing but full credit for having done so.