Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

The way we were 1963-64

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Note the black shorts with yellow sidestripes.

OTBC

[/quote]

That was the team when I first started to support the canaries.

I have that no. 9 shirt on my wall given to me by Bryan Thurlow when he lived on Cannerby Lane, Sprowston. Lovely man who made me feel special every time I met him and got invited in for a chat.The younsters may scoff when us old duffers hark back to those ''good old days''.... but these players were part of the community and we as young fans felt very close to them and the club as a whole.Glad I was around then and will always savour those happy and innocent times.  [:''(]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I have that no. 9 shirt on my wall given to me by Bryan Thurlow when he lived on Cannerby Lane, Sprowston. Lovely man who made me feel special every time I met him and got invited in for a chat.

The younsters may scoff when us old duffers hark back to those ''good old days''.... but these players were part of the community and we as young fans felt very close to them and the club as a whole.

Glad I was around then and will always savour those happy and innocent times.  [:''(]
[/quote]

We''re in an exclusive club mate which these young whippersnappers on here can never, ever, join.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I have that no. 9 shirt on my wall given to me by Bryan Thurlow when he lived on Cannerby Lane, Sprowston. Lovely man who made me feel special every time I met him and got invited in for a chat.

The younsters may scoff when us old duffers hark back to those ''good old days''.... but these players were part of the community and we as young fans felt very close to them and the club as a whole.

Glad I was around then and will always savour those happy and innocent times.  [:''(]
[/quote]

We''re in an exclusive club mate which these young whippersnappers on here can never, ever, join.

[/quote]

Pathetic. I''m sure that the young whippersnappers are really jealous of you, grow up.

[/quote]

[/quote]

First Wizard and Cluckin'' Nora reflect on their exclusive club that the youngsters can never join......

[quote user="yellow 63"]My first replica kit about 1970-71 had black shorts
[/quote]

I remember when Ron Saunders first came money was too tight to mention and Geoffrey Watling saved a few bob by changing the shorts to black because they would "stay smarter longer"!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

First Wizard and Cluckin'' Nora reflect on their exclusive club that the youngsters can never join......

[/quote]

"If you''ll take your hands out of your pocket luv then I''ll promise to take my hair net off tonight."

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Pathetic. I''m sure that the young whippersnappers are really jealous of you, grow up.

[/quote]

You still can''t join.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''ll drink to that

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I have that no. 9 shirt on my wall given to me by Bryan Thurlow when he lived on Cannerby Lane, Sprowston. Lovely man who made me feel special every time I met him and got invited in for a chat.The younsters may scoff when us old duffers hark back to those ''good old days''.... but these players were part of the community and we as young fans felt very close to them and the club as a whole.Glad I was around then and will always savour those happy and innocent times.  [:''(][/quote]

[/quote]

I''ll drink to that

[/quote]Proof that not everything in this life can be bought and sold.... and memories of a special time that no-one can ever take away from us. [Y]

I would like to add my name to the old duffers that were around at that time (although I didn''t see my first game until September 1964 - a 2-0 home win against Leyton Orient).  At that time we were watching a very mediocre Second Division (that''s the Championship to Joanna and the Whippersnappers) and I never could have imagined that within 8 years I would be watching us play in the old First Division.  Who can ever forget running across the pitch at Watford, being able to walk three quarters of the way around the terraced stands inside of Carrow Road and the dodgy old tv platform at the River End for the Match of the Week cameras. And it only cost me 5/11d to get to and from the game, get entry to the Barclay and buy a programme - tell that to the youngsters today they won''t believe you.(PS can confirm that Paul Moy is also a member of our elite club despite his unhealthy obsession with the boy Cody!!!)

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''ll drink to that

[/quote]

Proof that not everything in this life can be bought and sold.... and memories of a special time that no-one can ever take away from us. [Y]

[/quote]

Including by wannabees throwing in red herrings about Ron Saunders.

OTBC

[/quote]

That sounds really seedy Cluck.I know it''s not meant to but......

Anyway,how about some of you old duffers set up a regular history thread so us ''youngsters'' can learn about NCFC from people that were there.Just a suggestion[^o)]

Yellow 63 may or may not be a wannabe but he''s quite correct. The players shorts were changed from green to black once again at the AGM following Saunder''s appointment in 1969. At the same AGM it was explained how the club had lost money on the previous season so there would be no fortunes for the new manager to spend. The reason for the change was "black shorts would stay smarter longer".

The black shorts were nothing to do with John Terry though Babes. And if you don''t reply to my post on Beth''s thread I shall be pressing the report button for the first time in my posting life[:|]

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I have that no. 9 shirt on my wall given to me by Bryan Thurlow when he lived on Cannerby Lane, Sprowston. Lovely man who made me feel special every time I met him and got invited in for a chat.The younsters may scoff when us old duffers hark back to those ''good old days''.... but these players were part of the community and we as young fans felt very close to them and the club as a whole.Glad I was around then and will always savour those happy and innocent times.  [:''(][/quote]

That sounds really seedy Cluck.I know it''s not meant to but......

Anyway,how about some of you old duffers set up a regular history thread so us ''youngsters'' can learn about NCFC from people that were there.Just a suggestion[^o)]

[/quote][:)  Nothing seedy about Bryan... he was a lovely bloke. I was sat down in the front room like a friend and we chatted away about all things Norwich City while his washing aired on a clothes horse in front of the fire....As for us ''old duffers'' having a history thread.... I remember what it was like listening to my father going on about the war. so not really a good idea...  [;)]

[quote user="WHITE VAN MAN"][quote user="Lord Horn"]Joanna and the Whippersnappers
[/quote]

I''ve got all their albums
[/quote]

[Y][:D]

One thing about players back then were they were incredibl;y skinny

I remember collecting the Typhoo pictures, mostly players You had to cut the photo of the back of the cardboard packet of tea.

Quite surprised when a lad I knew from ''well off family'' * told me that if you put 24 in the letter and asked for 4 pictures they would be sent (it was 12 a picture). Clearly no one was counting them at the other end.

* they didn''t hide up when the tally man came round

[quote user="City1st"]One thing about players back then were they were incredibl;y skinny

I remember collecting the Typhoo pictures, mostly players You had to cut the photo of the back of the cardboard packet of tea.

Quite surprised when a lad I knew from ''well off family'' * told me that if you put 24 in the letter and asked for 4 pictures they would be sent (it was 12 a picture). Clearly no one was counting them at the other end.

* they didn''t hide up when the tally man came round[/quote]I guess people had just come through a war and it wasn''t so long after rationing ended. Obesity really is a modern day issue as the processed muck people eat now wasn''t mainstream then and wages were low. Gordon Bolland was the boney-est player I came across with almost ricket like bandy legs.I remember those Typhoo pictures and still have a few of the packets in the loft. My favourite were the Anglo ''Bellboy'' gum wrappers which came out as ''Famous Soccer Clubs'' in a set of 112 (only 72 were produced) and ''Noted Football Teams'' which covered the non league teams. Lost them all when I moved to Australia in the late 60s.... but have got them all back now via Ebay! Still need a few of the ''Coaching Secrets'' set if anyone has some tucked away?