Sign in to follow this  
Barclaybred

SIR IWAN`S Goal at Goodison

the year ,i think,before we went up was wrongly disallowed,in my opinion,and bore a lot of resemblance to HOLTY`S goal for power and determination...really wished he couldve been in the same team as Holt,with Eadie and Hucks as back up to Pilko and Bennet! ...Wadda squad that would be!

Iwan did have a goal disallowed in the FA Cup 3rd round game at Everton. From memory, we were under pressure early on conceded a goal from a free kick or corner by Kilbane, but we got back into the game when Brennan scored. I think he hooked the ball in from the left. Iwan’s goal would have made it 2-1 to City but it was disallowed for a non-existent offside.

Fergusson got two pens and we lost 1-3.

There were either no trains from London or they were ridiculously expensive so we hired a mini-coach which we picked up from Marylebone station. It was a long way there and back, helped by a few pit-stops. It made me realise how much more pleasant the train is compared to a bus.

Yes I really think that was when they made up their mind about Iwan. He didn''t get much of a sniff that game, and got rolled twice for pens IIRC.Also the famous or infamous "Fat not Black" game Mr Rooney

A bit harsh on Iwan there. From my memory, which admittedly has been dulled by time and beer drunk on the day, I thought the penalties were both harsh, and wouldn''t have been given if the supposed foul had been by an Everton player against a Norwich player. It all worked out for the best through, City made a few quid from the cup game, didn''t have the distraction of the FA Cup and won promotion.

One other memory from the day; I was in the back row of the upper tier and I do recall a large number of seats in the section next to us being deliberately broken and damanged.

Yes they were harsh Tim, but it was then like it was for the start of this season - we lacked a bit of premier league nous, Everton didn''t and they got 2 pens which one them the game.But like you said, all''s well that ended well that season.