Sign in to follow this  
hucks@dh6.co.uk

My Match report from yesterdays Norwich v Blackburn game

Good report Hucks, shame we let them dominate the 2nd half, need to take our chances first.Lucky penalty as you suggested but think we were worth the point.Missed MOTD last night, was reading your book which I bought in Jarrolds, great read!!Made my 11 year old lad clean his football boots today as you reminded me how the YTS lads always used to clean the pros boots and yes I too am his worst critic.Just wondered do you know any old pros who run footy training courses in the Northampton area?CheersRupe

You''ve summed it up very well but I''d be interested in your views on a couple of points relevant to that game.Morisons goal wonderfully taken no doubt about that but made easier by the fact that he was central to the goal and facing goal when he received the ball. Point number one is why the blazes isn''t Morison allowed to be facing the goal and centrally positioned more often? He was to be found on the left wing, right wing even at right back during that game and he''s faced criticism on here and in the stands for not scoring but he''s usually been played on his own up front so he''s either had to hold for others or chase and cut in from wide to create chances both tasks he does remarkably well but often at the cost of a goalscoring opportunity himself.  Point number two is when Bennett and Pilkington were withdrawn I was worried that we''d be bottlenecked trying to feed three strikers straight down the middle but Simeon Jackson showed (to my eyes anyway) the makings of a very pacy winger and gave us some width in the final minutes. So I guess the question is do you feel there''s any mileage in a Morison/Jackson combo up front with Morison more central and Jackson wider and looking to play Morison in? I appreciate the current formation works well away but I feel it''s too negative for home and invites the visitors to play further up the pitch than we''d like. With Morison and Jackson looking to latch onto anything within a country mile of the visitors goal I can''t envisage the visitors playing a back line very far up the pitch at all, M & J are capable of skinning the very paciest defenders in this league and Pilks/Bennett can both pop up like the shopkeeper in Mr. Benn. I was concerned at the number of players Blackburn (and other teams) got into the danger zone at times and feel that we''ve invited them to play higher up than we should, net result congestion around our 18 yard line which has led to a number of goals conceded despite the presence (often) of half a dozen or more defenders in and around the box.So in summary do you think Saturdays game hinted that a Morison/jackson starting lineup would work at home by pinning back the oppo defence giving our midfield more room to operate and our defenders those few extra yards of breathing space? Problem is who to drop I guess...... be much easier if it was 12 a side this year. :-)