paul moy

Football ....Average wages

Interesting figures in the Daily Mail today :

Prem        £ 22,353

Champs   £ 4,059

League 1 £ 1,410

League 2 £ 747

These are figures prior to any bonuses.

I would expect that we would have players near the average, why not? They are playing in the Prem and deserve the same as anyone else (with the exception of the couple of dozen players who are paid as "superstars", of course). I always understood that "wages" are fairly meaningless as a measure of the payments professional footballers receive, as most of it is paid as expenses and is invested by many of the top players in property portfolios, to give them something to fall back on when they have to retire and are of course still young men. Anyone else heard this? And then of course there is the personal sponsorship ...

I just can''t see it. The average is dragged up dramatically by Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea. I bet our highest paid player is on about £15,000.

That works both ways though, the average can be dragged down by players that have come through the youth ranks and will be on smaller wages because of this and the 2nd string players.

Makes me so envious - A championship player earns in 1 week what I earn in a year!! I am a nursing student and when on placement work 7am-730pm. Footballers... oh the life! Train for a few hours and jobs a goodun! Perhaps I should become a footballers wife....

[quote user="curly_whirly_tipz"]Makes me so envious - A championship player earns in 1 week what I earn in a year!! I am a nursing student and when on placement work 7am-730pm. Footballers... oh the life! Train for a few hours and jobs a goodun! Perhaps I should become a footballers wife....[/quote]

Being a WAG is a ''job''!

Click ME!!

Cheers for making me even more depressed knowing that footballers in LEAGUE 2 will probably earn more a week than will ever earn a week... To play Football.

I''m somewhat surprised by how low the League 2 average is, would certainly need a career post football earning that amount.

It''s really not that much if you put it into perspective. The average league two player (based on the OP''s figures) earns around £36k a year pre-tax. Compared to those that ''practice'' football, to be a league two standard player you have to be in the top 1% in the country to make it at that level and your career at the absolute maximum runs from 16-40.

Compare this to any other profession (accounting, solicitors, engineers, teachers, doctors etc.) and the top 1% in their field will earn alot more then 36k gross and for a longer time period, e.g. 25-65 years of age.

Agreed Bovril. Surely this is taking into account reserve/youth players as well? I can''t believe that an average League 1 player is only earning 70k a year.

I mean I know that is a lot by "real life" standards, but when you think that 70k is an average, and therefore a fair proportion are going to be earning under that, it doesn''t really seem like as much as I would have expected them to be on!

"I''m somewhat surprised by how low the League 2 average is, would certainly need a career post football earning that amount."

Probably, but only if they lived a £100k a year plus lifestyle whilst they earned that money. If they lived carefully and budgeted, they''d be fine.

With that average, their annual salary would be in the region of £150,000. If the average footballer''s professional career is 16 year, their total earnings would be close to £2.5 million. It would take the majority of us.

The average salary for us mere mortals is £26,000. On that, you would need to work for over 96 years to earn what a League Two player earns in his career.

[quote user="canarydan23"]"I''m somewhat surprised by how low the League 2 average is, would certainly need a career post football earning that amount." Probably, but only if they lived a £100k a year plus lifestyle whilst they earned that money. If they lived carefully and budgeted, they''d be fine. With that average, their annual salary would be in the region of £150,000. If the average footballer''s professional career is 16 year, their total earnings would be close to £2.5 million. It would take the majority of us. The average salary for us mere mortals is £26,000. On that, you would need to work for over 96 years to earn what a League Two player earns in his career.[/quote]

£747 x 52 (weeks in a year) = £38,844

Don''t forget that Tax, National Insurance and Pension payments wipe out probably around 60% of gross salary of a player earning 100K. If they then have family to raise, mortgage, WAG to support, potential divorce taking half of their assets/earnings, things are not necessarily that rosy.   

[quote user="canarydan23"]"I''m somewhat surprised by how low the League 2 average is, would certainly need a career post football earning that amount."

Probably, but only if they lived a £100k a year plus lifestyle whilst they earned that money. If they lived carefully and budgeted, they''d be fine.

With that average, their annual salary would be in the region of £150,000. If the average footballer''s professional career is 16 year, their total earnings would be close to £2.5 million. It would take the majority of us.

The average salary for us mere mortals is £26,000. On that, you would need to work for over 96 years to earn what a League Two player earns in his career.[/quote]Please can you come and work in the Payrol department at my company?  I''d be very happy for you to turn £747 a week into £150,000 p/a.

First thing I do when starting a ''Football Manager'' game on my PC is to look at the wages of each club. I''m not sure how they get their info but it''s usually spot on or very close.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]First thing I do when starting a ''Football Manager'' game on my PC is to look at the wages of each club. I''m not sure how they get their info but it''s usually spot on or very close.
[/quote]

Daily Mail figures are ascertained from latest company accounts.