Sign in to follow this  
yellow blood

Penalty - Divine retribution?

Listening to Steve Kean on 5 live as I drove home tonight, he was moaning that Samba had been fouled which meant that he handled the ball. Well Mr Kean, if the said same player hadn''t faked an injury by falling over in his own penalty area in the first half forcing the referee to stop play then some might have a bit of sympathy for you. Personally, I couldn''t give a sh*t.

Seems these decisions do even themselves out.  We spent the first 5 games arguing if they were all pens, probably 3 were, so this is one back for us.  Likewise with the red card situations, i was pleased to see us get an advantage when Klasnic was sent off for a softish ''headbut''...

We''re on a good run and we need to make the most of it...

They got away with what looked like a clear handball to me earlier (from johnson i think it was) and I think the ref maybe knew it and compensated by giving that soft one.

[quote user="Buckethead"]They got away with what looked like a clear handball to me earlier (from johnson i think it was) and I think the ref maybe knew it and compensated by giving that soft one.
[/quote]

Has anyone seen a replay of this Johnson incident it was just after we scored. I was convinced the defender punched the ball everyone near me thought I was mad. Mind I have seen a replay of the penalty we got lol. I suspect the ref will be in the championship next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL1W0eJToLMFound this video from a fan, which has a great view of it. Clearly seems to roll down the player''s arm. One of those decisions you take if they''re for you but moan at if they''re against you. About time we got some penalty-related luck.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I think it''s a penalty. Whilst the defender knows nothing about it, he''s a muppet to have his arms up, and he unfairly gains an advantage [/quote]I tend to agree.  Even though I was absolute poo at football, I knew that you play until the whistle blows.  If he''d have done that, he would''nt''ve been caught out doing a spitfire impression and the ball hitting his arm.

It was a bit harsh but for me wasn''t an unreasonable pen decision - it certainly wasn''t the poor decision that it is being made out to be: the player clearly handled it, in the area, and would have got a clear advantage. Nor was it completely accidental, whether or not he thought he was being fouled (not certain for me) he shouldn''t have had his hands up.

Definitely not intentional but if you have your arms up in the penalty area when they don''t need to be you always run the risk of giving a penalty away. One of those decisions you could legitimately argue for either way. We got the rub of the green today which we havent in other games. For Merson to call it "the worst decision he has ever seen" is laughable though.

Merson is a complete twonk if that was the worst pen decision he''s seen...indeed, we''ve had at least two worse than that against us already this season, together with the blatant miss for assault in the WBA game!

Pretty harsh penalty decision but hopefully that evens out the pen for Stoke earlier in the season!

Its atough one; generous to us but you have seen them given before and why would you have your arms out like that?

clearly no foul on him either.

A lucky point for us - but thats football

Soft penalty but that makes up for the penalty given for Stoke against us when the foul was commited outside the box and blatant elbow on Vaughen against WBA that wasn''t given as a penalty!

I''m sure we''ll have some s*ite decisions go against us on more than one occasion in the following months so I''m not going to worry about us getting a soft one in our favour!

As others have said you win some you lose some. Certainly a clearer penalty than when Barnett conceeded a penalty outside the box!

I almost felt slightly sorry for Blackburn - with 8 minutes to go they must have thought their luck was turning... However Norwich''s never say die attitude (and luck today) has certainly worked to our advantage. TBH I was glad when Johnson got just the 1 goal back as I thought that GD could have been vital at end of season.

Yeah agreed with much of the above - it was a terrible penalty decision, but we''ve had a few against us.

Lambert himself basically said the same - and i think from his interview it was quite clear that he didn''t think it was a penalty either!

It may have seemed harsh but how many times have we seen a penalty awarded when a player has his arms up and the ball accidentally hits him? Nearly every week! The message is clear - keep your arms by your side in the penalty area otherwise you may have to pay the consequences. Rest assured Blackburn will get one in their favour before long. These things are part of football and you just have to get on with it as we did after the West Brom game.

If you have your arms up, appealing or not, and the ball hits them then you have a good case for a penalty. It was lucky we got it I know, but if you look back over the start of the season we deserved a turn of luck. The Stoke "penalty" outside the area (albiet Ruddy saved), I don''t think Ruddy''s red card against Chelsea was correct - the ball was going out and Ramires wouldn''t have reached it, going down before contact etc., a few smaller decision but have been poor all the same. I also remember the linesman on the Jarrold side second half was very poor - he didn''t flag for fouls until after the referee had given them. Maybe it wasn''t a penalty, maybe it was, but softer penalties have been given.

If the penalty had gone their way, Steve Kean strikes me as the kind of bloke that would have said it was a definite penalty.

Perhaps if he''d have stuck to his guns and kept the same formation that was beating us, he might have got three points? Absolute joke of a manager.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

[quote user="Buckethead"]They got away with what looked like a clear handball to me earlier (from johnson i think it was) and I think the ref maybe knew it and compensated by giving that soft one.
[/quote]

Has anyone seen a replay of this Johnson incident it was just after we scored. I was convinced the defender punched the ball everyone near me thought I was mad. Mind I have seen a replay of the penalty we got lol. I suspect the ref will be in the championship next week.

[/quote]

SSN (Merson) reported it as a definite deliberate handball and a penalty and it looked it to me.  Funnily enough SSN forgot all about it come the penalty incident at the end of the game and it was not mentioned in the aftermath of any match reports that I have seen, just how harsh the pen that was given was.

The incident was replayed at the time and iirc it was from Johnson and the defender who was side on to Johnson (and fairly close to him) with his left arm nearest Johnson (cleverly) used his right arm to deliberatley divert the ball away.  I know it all happened quickly and probably too quickly for the defender to calculate this in his mind but I just got a feeling that he deliberately went with his right arm to block it rather than his left knowing that it would be more difficult to be spotted.  To me it just seemed like a quick/instant decision to go with his right arm and although he was close to Johnson it was a deliberate diversion and not ball to hand.

Would love to see a replay of it again if anyone knows if it is available.

I have to say ''Well Done'' to the Barclay, for all to shout in unison ''Hand Ball !'' as you did, it put an awful lot of pressure on the Ref.